Gardening; Palms in pots (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have a few palms in pots, well actually I have had quite a few palms but I have lost them over the winter.

This year I have built a green house in the hope that they may survive the winter but with the temp being so low I have now added a small paraffin heater to help.

Am I likely to succeed by just keeping the temp above zero?

Doug...

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
wrap them in a good layer of straw, round pots and base of palm might be a bit late now though

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It must be dependant upon what type of palm they are. We have two palms growing in the back garden. We didnt plant them and so they must have got there with the birds dropping seeds.

The are well rooted and seem to be growing faster over the last few weeks than they did in the summer.

Do you know what type of palm they are Doug.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have some cordyline palms they are hardy and will take the frost but we also have a phoenix palm and like some other date palms are not hardy. We wrap ours with membrane and bubble wrap but still suffers with burnt fronds.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
We have some cordyline palms they are hardy and will take the frost but we also have a phoenix palm and like some other date palms are not hardy. We wrap ours with membrane and bubble wrap but still suffers with burnt fronds.

They are the Phoenix type.

Doug...

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have a cabbage palm in the garden, flowers every year and doesn't seem to suffer from the frost.

Rgds
Bill

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Doug,

I normally do the same as you're doing and the plants have been fine for the following year (Palms & Cordylines). This year I'm not bothering to put a paraffin heater in the greenhouse. (4 litres for £6.29 at B&Q). I've lined it with bubble wrap and put all of the plants inside. If the plants have survived a few winters in Wales they are normally reasonably hardy I have found.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Then you are right to use heat to keep frost off

Larry

So far the frost is only on the outside, there has been none on the inside. Garden water barrel has 3" of ice on it, I had to drill holes in it so that I could break a hole to stop it bursting the plastic, I have now put some wood shafts in it in the hope it relieves the pressure.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Doug, Because I am on my own and find it difficult to wrap the bubble wrap around palms I cut the top of a black bin bag and slip it over the top ... then it easy to tie cord round them.

I didn't have time to do it this last Autumn and I lost all my palms. :Sad:

Having said that one of my friends lost theirs too, and they chopped the top off and several new plants have grown at the base for them to slice off and make new ones from.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back