Garage recommendations for A-Class servicing needed (Hampshire) (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hi All

I am wanting to have MoHo fully serviced (engine service) before spring has fully sprung and we want to hop in her for weekend getaways. Full cambelt service, and get the dodgy glowplug sorted, possible new clutch too (1996 Ducato 2.5TD)

Only problem is, my local garage have informed me that they can't take her. Funny they have never mentioned this fact for the previous MoTs and odd bits of work they have done :Angry:. Apparently she is too big with the coach-built bodywork to get into the workshop.

I think they are quite happy to do MoTs when no work needs doing, and the small odd jobs, but can't be bothered with anything more demanding.

Far be it from me to force them to work on her. So I am looking for recommendations for places that would be able to take an A-Class motorhome for mechanical work - in the Basingstoke and/or Andover area.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Merci beaucoup

Jamie.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry cant help with a garage down your neck of the woods, but I don't think its so much of your local garage not wanting the work. I have had the same problem in the past with motorhomes and what must be understood is that a garage cannot charge you any more for work on a motorhome than they can on your car. The problem is that once a large motorhome is inside most garages, that's all they can get in there. It will take up at least twice as much room as a car, and they will only be able to work on the motorhome.
Garages tend to have at least 2 jobs on the go at the same time, optimising there time. Whilst awaiting parts for one vehicle they can be working on another. But if a motorhome is filling the garage, they have no choice but put the kettle on and brew up whilst awaiting parts. It can be an expensive job for you when this happens :Sad:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Mot/Service

We have used Redvers at Swindon who service & test our Monaco. On my visits there they always seem to have a selection of M/H's in the process of repair.
01793 541010 Owner is a chap called Kevin.

Broken Link Removed

Regards

Arthur:thumb:

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Not much help for you but I had the same problem, when I got mine my local garage took it in for a service but it did take up the space of 3 cars, they them realised it would be too long for the ramp.
They recommended a local truck center and that where I have been today, it was its first class IV MOT which it passed:thumb: and included a £21 dashboard hazard warning light switch and it came to £208.80 thought that was quite good.

Nodin's in Rugby

Dave

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have you tried your local Council.

London Borough of Redbridge have their own MOT, Servicing and repair centre and we have found them extremely thorough and their work excellent. They are also far cheaper than most garages.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
OCBT'd - thanks! what a great idea! A quick google on the Hampshire website shows they have a workshop not far from the mother-in-law's house.

Although Essanjay looks like a very good outfit, and I'd like the idea of someone who would be able to look at the habitation side of things too if needed.

I was just so miffed when they bascially said they didn't want me bringing MoHo to the garage any longer. It took me ages and lots of phoning around locally to find anyone willing to look at it for MoT and Broken Link Removed, and they had been very good.

I will certainly give the council workshop place a call, and also look at Essanjay.

Thank you Funsters. Full of useful advice as ever! :winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`d recommend my local garage in Mansfield but I think it might be too far,shame really, Pecks Hill Garage BTW:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Your welcome to come to us, mechanical service and habitation service no problem, stay overnight with hook up and good pub 200 yards up the road.
MOT if required

Call Glenn Harris and have a chat.

Peter

Upvote 0

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You could try KLF Automotive

They are at Micheldever so on your doorstep .

Sorry i tried to put a link up but i'm a techno numpty :Smile:

Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Many thanks for the suggestions.

(tried KLF damondunc, which would have been helpful as mother in law lives in Micheldever, but he won't do mechanicals, just habitation)

I've just got off the phone with Mike at Essanjay and booked in for my service. He seems a really decent guy, and very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about MHs. His grandfather's first MH was a Machzone it turns out, so he was very interested in MoHo and we had a good chat about the rise and fall of Machzone. :thumb:

Really looking forward to getting the service done, and travelling down with the family for a day out on Brownsea into the bargain.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back