Garage Owner Warning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Doddy999, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. Doddy999

    Doddy999 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Exeter Devon
    As I am new to all this, only had less than 12months experience @ MH.
    So I am always collecting all your tips & experience. Got told this today :Eeek:
    I took my car to my garage today for a check over a noise I have, anyway
    he is also a seasoned MH, when I went back to pick it up I asked him when his next trip in his MH was, he told me he had not been to it for a while, so went to check it out , when he heard an alarm going off inside.
    Upon opening the door he was hit by a toxic fumes that near sent him to the floor.
    When he eventually got in he noticed all the brass knobs where black & the units & lockers had gone dull, also when he sat down on the cushions they stuck to him & all the covers where just disintergrating when touched.
    He said it is always plugged into the mains & the batteries had overcharged & leaked.
    This is not an alarmest thread just something I am adding.
    I am sure some of you will be more enlightened than myself about this.
     
  2. hilldweller

    hilldweller Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    26,421
    Likes Received:
    25,078
    Location:
    Macclesfield
    It certainly is. You've just scared half of FUN to death.

    Two faults had occurred.

    1. His battery charger malfunctioned or it was an old non electronic one.
    2. His batteries were not correctly mounted.

    Ours has been plugged in for 4 years, no problem.
    Batteries should have vent tubes to the outside to carry any gasses there. They should not be able to vent into the habitation area.

    It is perfectly normal and safe to leave your batteries on charge with a modern electronic charger.

    Mind you, this is a timely warning to all those who fit extra batteries any old how or even replace batteries and say "Where does this tube go". Not a lot most people can do about a faulty charger except keep the insurance up, those with voltmeters can do an occasional test to make sure the batteries are not above 14.5V. Trouble is if a charger fails in overcharging mode ( quite unlikely ) the battery will be dead in hours rather than weeks.

    If inside you can hear a battery on serious charge, if it's quiet you can hear the bubbling. Our charger does this occasionally to keep the electrodes in best condition. I need to top it up about every two months.
     
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. Jim

    Jim Ringleader

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    Messages:
    25,830
    Likes Received:
    76,108
    Location:
    Sutton on Sea
    What is the best practice here? I never leave mine on hook up. I know a modern charger won't boil my batteries, but with the battery switch thrown, they are not going anywhere and will hold the charge for months if need be. I just don't see the point in having the charger plugged in and tickling the batteries every day, what am I missing?

    But I have had a roof full of solar for 10 years, so I suppose in sunny Wales they a being charged continually anyway.
     
  4. slobadoberbob

    slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2009
    Messages:
    6,159
    Likes Received:
    1,970
    Location:
    Kent, garden of England
    pull the other one


    So what day did you have summer last year Jim?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

    Bob
     
  5. 656

    656 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Messages:
    1,150
    Likes Received:
    291
    Location:
    The universe
    Probably St Davids day:Rofl1:
     
  6. Geo

    Geo Trader - Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Messages:
    9,508
    Likes Received:
    5,561
    Location:
    Mansfield,Notts
    I am now seriousy worried
    does this only happen to Garage Owners:Eeek::Rofl1::Rofl1:
     
  7. hilldweller

    hilldweller Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    26,421
    Likes Received:
    25,078
    Location:
    Macclesfield
    There is the crunch.

    So much electronics these days, you've read countless messages "I went to the van it would not start". About 3 weeks seems a common time with the newer vans.

    Throw that switch ( which often does not exist ) and you might have no alarm.

    So, yes, if you are lucky enough to be able to throw that switch do so otherwise leave it on float charge. I'm not sure but maybe a battery lasts longer if kept at float charge voltage.

    As I have said before, I've a bike with alarm that has been on charge for over 5 years. The MH has been on charge for the 4 years we've had it and the 8 year old German leisure battery is still delivering the goods.
     
  8. Jim

    Jim Ringleader

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    Messages:
    25,830
    Likes Received:
    76,108
    Location:
    Sutton on Sea
    I can't remember what day it was, we were celebrating:party2:
     
  9. normanandsue

    normanandsue Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    Messages:
    1,296
    Likes Received:
    3,864
    Location:
    Dunfermline - Scotland
    Is this another of your "fun" threads?
     
  10. Doddy999

    Doddy999 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Exeter Devon

    :Confused: This was put up just really to remind people to keep there alarms serviced.
    Hate to think of someone asleep if this happened.
    Although it wont happen to Brian & only garage owners need worry :Wink:
     
Loading...

Share This Page