GAP insurance ??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Landyguy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

Has anyone had GAP insurance on a Motorhome or car and has anybody got any thoughts on its validity or not?

2. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

My daughter had it on a car she purchased on finance, she googled it first though and got it at a fraction of the cost quoted by the dealer.

Fortunately she didn't have to claim, so I cannot help with regards to wether it's worth having.

3. etap

etap

When I bought my last new car the salesman suggested I buy gap insurance because some cars are written off in the first three years, so I paid £399. On Honest John Telegraph man, he said this insurance is available for as little as £ 160. For £160 I still think the idea is good, so shop around.

4. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

Personally, I think it's a rip off. You buy a vehicle, you insure it. Something happens and your insurers choose to pay less than they should leaving the GAP. It should just be included in your insurance IMHO and if everyone had it then would add just a few pounds to everyone's policy instead of being sold a 'gamble' style insurance on a 'just in case' basis at a rip off price where you know full well the salesman makes a MASSIVE commission - along with your MOT insurance and your alloy wheel repair cover and your paint and upholstery cover Aaaaarrggghhhhh!!!!!.

Rant over

• Like Like x 1
  5. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

thanks for the comments - certainly would not get it through a main dealer or any of the other "offers" as they are just to get commission for the salesman as far as I can see.

6. Chris172

Chris172 Funster

We have Gap insurance on our car. Dealer wanted £400 for 3 years from date of purchase. Had a quick Google and got it for £139 for 3 years with the first year deferred starting on it's 'second birthday'. This is because your own insurance will replace the car in the first year if written off which is usual practice, although best check first. So we have 4years :)
    New cars nowadays are so complex that it's not worth them paying out even for a minor bump, especially if all the airbags go off.... worth it for the peace of mind.

7. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Buy it online much cheaper than main dealer and imho def worth if it you purchased a new vehicle or nearly new on finance or lease. I use ALA

8. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

i was offered this when i bought my new car last week but declined it as i kept hearing people say it was a rip off. Didnt really get much chance to look into it before i collected my car so dont have any. Can it be taken out at any time or does it have to be taken out as soon as you buy the car?

9. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Generally within 6 months I believe

• Thanks Thanks x 1