Gambler or just stupid?? A newbies start to MH'ing (1 Viewer)

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
My wife and I have just bought a MH but get this....
- We have never seen it,
- It is in Spain at the moment,
- And it was a "bargain"!!!

Now either we will have pie in our faces when everything goes wrong (like they send us a matchbox van :RollEyes:) or we will have a great start to our new adventures as MH functors!!!:Cool:

I am doing everything through Ebay, so at least we have a little bit of a fall back (although how far that would go we will (hopefully NOT) have to see!):winky:

Now the bonus is that we have a copy of his passport (IF it is his:Confused:) but the saving grace is that once we receive the delivery we have 7 days to check it out etc.. and if we are not happy then we send it back- if we are happy then we release the money through Ebay.:pray:

Well, we will inform you all on the 12 May when it is supposed to arrive (a day after we get back from South Africa). All fingers crossed that this will be a GOOD start to having fun!!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Was the price well below what you were expecting to pay?

Have you searched for the exact same vehicle on the web?

How did you find the motorhome if it was not for sale on ebay, unless i am mistaken?

I suspect you may find that you may be asked to send some money to cover the cost of bringing it back to the UK and then some other expenses.

I suggest you search to see of the van is below market value!

Lastly, I dont understand why he has given you his full name and age! Do you have an address in the UK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12

Well, I am very impressed with this website. Thank you very much CBrookson as there is a word for word email about 2 thirds of the way down the link starting with "Sorry Ben for my late answer"

Well I think I will continue this a bit more and try and get his address (I have a place in S France and can 'pop over' very easily). I will be contacting Ebay and once I get any more info then I will see what else I can do.

Just want to say a BIG Thanks :thanks: to everyone again. I will add onto the thread a copy of the correspondence for everyones info.

THANKS AGAIN

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
First correspondence;

Hello and sorry for my late answer,
First I have to let you know that I have earlier ended my ebay auction because some "serious buyers" that wanted to buy my motorhome, but in the end they didn't have the money to pay for it... So the van is still for sale.
I know that you have many choices on eBay and I appreciate that you've contacted me. I'm retired, separated from my wife and I own a holiday house in Spain, Barcelona. I was forced to have moved here and the motorhome is also here with me, I took it with me, because I had to many things to carry.
The camper was gently used by me and my ex. wife only and it is in perfect conditions, is still registered in United Kingdom as you can see plate numbers from the photos !
Excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent. I'm the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the motorhome, also the motorhome comes with a full service history.
Pick-up is available also. Shipping from Barcelona can be arranged at a very best value (maximum 700 pounds and half it will be covered by me), so the price for my motorhome is 5,900 + 350 (half of the delivery)= 6,250.00 GBP !
I want this transaction to be as smooth as possible so I will only close the sale trough eBay for our own protection.
Anyway if you are really interested in this motorhome and you need more photos or details, please reply because I have a lot of interested customers!
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Brian H. E.

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Oh yes, how does he contact you? By e-mail? if so you need to look at the e-mail headers to see if he is in Spain. There are some experts on here who can assist in finding out if he is oin Spain?

If there are e-mails are there any obvious spelling mistakes?
Or badly written?

Is it a web based e-mail address?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Second reply;
Hola again Sascha,
I have attached to this email some photos and a copy of my passport so that you know who you are dealing with.
The motorhome comes with the registration plates that you see on the photos. I'm the register keeper of the motorhome and I'm the legal owner after divorce. The V5 is on my name.
The motorhome is in Barcelona, Spain , we can not use it here because is very difficult to drive it here because here we use the right side of the road and left hand cars.
I went to a local dealer and they said they can only give me 3,000 - 3,500 EUR, because the steering wheel is on the right side and here in Spain nobody will buy it, so they need to break it and sell the parts, this is why I've decided to sell it alone.
At the moment I am on holiday and I will be back in the Spain on Friday 25 May.
The motorhome is in very good condition, no leaks or any other form of damages, serviced only on Fiat, the motorhome was used used only by me and my ex wife!
The camper is still registered in United Kingdom with a valid MOT until September and TAXED until August !
Along with it you will also receive the full service book and all the documents that you need to register the camper in your name, a buy-sell contract already signed by me !
I chose to ship using O.S.W. and I put the camper in their warehouse before leaving in my holiday, the price for transport agreement with the delivery company is about 700 GBP, which includes insurance during transport. (half of the delivery price, it will be covered by me), so that the final price of the motorhome will be 5,900 + 350 (half of the delivery charges) = 6,250 GBP.
At this time, the motorhome is at O.S.W., was inspected by them and you have the following options:
(eBay will manage the financial part of this deal, I will only close this deal using ebay, and not outside of ebay)

1 - Send the payment to eBay by bank transfer (ebay escrow) !
After that I will begin the delivery process, you will receive the camper in maximum 9 days, after receiving of the camper you will have 7 inspection days, and after that you will have to release the money from eBay in order for them to transfer it to me...
If something is different from the one I just described osw will take the camper back and eBay will send you your money within 24 hours, but this will not be the case.
2 - With 1000 GBP deposit at eBay, I can keep the motorhome until I'll be back from my holiday (25 May) and you'll need to come to Barcelona, Spain so that we can close the deal in person.

If you choose first option, you need to know:
-- Payment by bank transfer, you will send the payment directly to an ebay account.
-- Shipping will take no longer then 9 days and the camper will be delivered where you want in UK !
I need a fast and smoothly transaction without any kind of complications and I think I have done my best to provide you with a fast and very safe solution !
If you decide to buy my motorhome please give me the following details:

Your eBay user id :
Your full name :
Delivery address:
Your phone number:

What I will do with your details?
I will send them to eBay in order to open case regarding our deal, after that you will be in touch with eBay, they will send you the invoice of payment and everything that you need to know, in order for you to finish the financial part of this transaction. I will also make delivery arrangements and I will get a exact quote from the delivery company also i will get a tracking number, so you will be able to track the status of the delivery online.
Best Regards and I'm looking forward for your reply ...
Sincerely Brian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Third section;

Hi again Sascha,
I have contacted ebay to tell them that you are my buyer and they require your agreement to buy my motorhome.
So please send an email at Support@eBayMotorsTrade.co.uk (this is the ebay department that is managing our deal) with your agreement to buy my motorhome along with your ebay id, and delivery address.
Please allso put this case id number (KMM9489856854L9MY) in the subject of your email so that may know what are you talking about. I have received this case id when i have been in touch with them and is required so that they know what are talking about...
In the meantime I will make delivery arrangements and i will get back to you soon after that with a tracking number.
Best Regards
Brian

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Oh look...

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2010 BMW 5 SERIES 520D SE 4DR!
Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Portimao, Portugal (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this car from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The car meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in[HI] perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior [/HI]in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in your name.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days. Final price is GBP 8,000 (the price includes shipping and insurance fees).The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in Portugal is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Portugal.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.
I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a well known company,in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.

Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Buying a CamperVan / Motorhome .....SCAM ????
Jan 26, 2010 12:11 AM
Motorhome was on eBay but now seller wants me to buy privately but :
IS THIS A SCAM ???????

"eBay will manage the financial part of this deal, I will only close this deal using ebay, and not outside of ebay)

1 - Send the payment to eBay by bank transfer !
After that I will begin the delivery process, you will receive the camper in maximum 9 days. After receiving the camper you have 7 inspection days and you will have to release the money from eBay in order for me to pick them up.
If something is different from the one I just described DAS will take the camper back and eBay will refund your money within 24 hours, but this will not be the case.
2 - With 1,000 GBP deposit at eBay, I can reserve the motorhome until I'll be back from vacation and you'll need to come to Barcelona, Spain so that we can close the deal in person.

-- Payment by bank transfer, you will send the payment directly to an ebay account.
-- Shipping will take no longer then 9 days and the camper will be delivered where you want in UK !

eBay user id :
Your full name :
Delivery address:
Your phone number:

I will use those details to initiate the transaction procedure with ebay, after that you will be in touch with eBay. They will send you the invoice of payment and everything that you need to know in order for you to finish the financial part of this transaction.

Broken Link Removed

ITS A SCAM - saved by the funsters...:thumb:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As someone who occasionally has to deal with this sort of thing ( but for motorcycles ) I would suggest you save your time money and effort

This is gonna sound very rude but I do not mean it to be.. It is just how it is..
If it is 'cheap', it is aimed at someone thinking with their wallet rather than their head

My advice would be NOT to pay a deposit, but get the location of the vehicle and go see it immediately.
After all, Barcelona is only a £50 return flight away and you can easily do the whole thing in a day ( or a weekend ) .. Much rather to loose a nifty and maybe a day off work 'ill' than a grand or whatever

If the vehicle is ok, it has all the keys, it has all the paper work etc, go to a bank with the vendor and pay him the money via the bank teller..

Cheap motorhomes simply do not exist I am afraid, where as very clever scammers seem to be on every corner nowadays

Upvote 0

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mandymops

I hit 'buy it now' on ebay for a bargain camper in wales which I had not seen,jumped on a train,hopped into a car with a strange man and handed over the money. I was so befuddled by all the instructions about the living bit I completely forgot to test drive it. Jumped in and drove it to London. I love it. Sometimes you just have to have faith and most people are basically good. i really hope it all works out.:Smile:

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
seen on ebay last week MERCEDES rapido moterhome 2001 reg Y653 DRR reg
£5,800 so i emaid him. I am interested in the motorhome can you please send me some more photos and details
.................................................. .................................................. ...
THIS IS HIS REPLY
and sorry for my late answer,
First I have to let you know that I have earlier ended my ebay auction because some "serious buyers" that wanted to buy my motorhome, but in the end they did not have the money to pay for it... So the motorhome is still for sale.
I know that you have many choices on eBay and I appreciate that you contacted me. I'm retired, separated from my wife and I own a holiday house in Spain, Barcelona. I was forced to have moved here and the motorhome is also here with me, I took it with me, because we had to many things to carry.
The camper was gently used by me and my ex. wife only and it is in perfect conditions, is still registered in United Kingdom as you can see plate numbers from the photos !
Excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent. I'm the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the motorhome, also the motorhome comes with a full service history.
Pick-up is available also. Shipping from Barcelona can be arranged at a very best value (maximum 700 pounds and half it will be covered by me), so the price for my motorhome is 5,800 + 350(half of the delivery)= 6,150.00 !
I want this transaction to be as smooth as possible so I will only close the sale trough eBay for our own protection.
Anyway if you are really interested in this motorhome and you need more photos or details, please reply because I have a lot of interested customers!
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely Ronald

EMAIL 2

have attached to this email some photos and a copy of my passport so that you know who you are dealing with.
The motorhome comes with the registration plates Y653DRR that you see on the photos. I'm the register keeper of the motorhome and I'm the legal owner after divorce. The V5 is on my name.
Also there is a Valid TAX until April next year and MOT valid until July next year.
The motorhome is in Barcelona, Spain , we can not use it here because is very difficult to drive it here because here we use the right side of the road and left hand cars.
I went to a local dealer and they said they can only give me 3,000 - 3,500 EUR, because the steering wheel is on the right side and here in Spain nobody will buy it, so they need to break it and sell the parts, this why I have decided to sell it alone.
At the moment I am on holiday and I will be back in the Spain next year on Friday 6 January 2012.
The motorhome is in very good condition, no leaks or any other form of damages, serviced only on Mercedes, the motorhome was used used only by me and my ex wife!
The camper is still registered in United Kingdom with a valid MOT valid until June 2012 and TAXED until April next year!
Along with it you will also receive the full service book and all the documents that you need to register the camper in your name, a buy-sell contract already signed by me !
I chose to ship using O.S.W. and I put the camper in their warehouse before leaving in my holiday, the price for transport agreement with the delivery company is about 700 GBP, which includes insurance during transport. (half of the delivery price, it will be covered by me), so that the final price of the motorhome will be 5,800 + 350 (half of the delivery charges) = 6,150 GBP.
At this time, the motorhome is at O.S.W., was inspected by them and you have the following options:
(eBay will manage the financial part of this deal, I will only close this deal using ebay, and not outside of ebay)
1 - Send the payment to eBay by bank transfer (ebay escrow) !
After that I will begin the delivery process, you will receive the camper in maximum 9 days, after receiving of the camper you will have 7 inspection days, and after that you will have to release the money from eBay in order for them to transfer it to me...
If something is different from the one I just described osw will take the camper back and eBay will send you your money within 24 hours, but this will not be the case.
2 - With 1000 GBP deposit at eBay, I can keep the motorhome until I'll be back from my holiday (6 Jan) and you'll need to come to Barcelona, Spain so that we can close the deal in person.

I need a fast and smoothly transaction without any kind of complications and I think I have done my best to provide you with a fast and very safe solution !

Your eBay user id :
Your full name :
Delivery address:
Your phone number:

What I will do with your details?
I will send them to eBay in order to open case regarding our deal, after that you will be in touch with eBay, they will send you the invoice of payment and everything that you need to know, in order for you to finish the financial part of this transaction. I will also make delivery arrangements and I will get a exact quote from the delivery company also i will get a tracking number, so you will be able to track the status of the delivery online.
Sincerely Ron

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I hit 'buy it now' on ebay for a bargain camper in wales which I had not seen,jumped on a train,hopped into a car with a strange man and handed over the money. I was so befuddled by all the instructions about the living bit I completely forgot to test drive it. Jumped in and drove it to London. I love it. Sometimes you just have to have faith and most people are basically good. i really hope it all works out.:Smile:

He wont, its a SCAM..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Email address is"Brian H." <haroldes@btinternet.com> I cannot seem to put his passport photo onto this reply but I have a copy (although it is probably fake anyway).

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Second reply;
Hola again Sascha,
I have attached to this email some photos and a copy of my passport so that you know who you are dealing with.
The motorhome comes with the registration plates that you see on the photos. I'm the register keeper of the motorhome and I'm the legal owner after divorce. The V5 is on my name.
[HI]The motorhome is in Barcelona, Spain , we can not use it here because is very difficult to drive it here because here we use the right side of the road and left hand cars.
I went to a local dealer and they said they can only give me 3,000 - 3,500 EUR, because the steering wheel is on the right side and here in Spain nobody will buy it, so they need to break it and sell the parts, this is why I've decided to sell it alone.[/HI]
At the moment I am on holiday and I will be back in the Spain on Friday 25 May.
[HI]The motorhome is in very good condition, no leaks or any other form of damages, serviced only on Fiat, the motorhome was used used only by me and my ex wife!
The camper is still registered in United Kingdom with a valid MOT [/HI]until September and TAXED until August !
I chose to ship using O.S.W. and I put the camper in their warehouse before leaving in my holiday, the price for transport agreement with[HI] the delivery company is about 700 GBP, which includes insurance during transport. (half of the delivery price, it will be covered by me), so that the final price of the motorhome will be 5,900 + 350 (half of the delivery charges) = 6,250 GBP.[/HI]
A
Sincerely Brian

Hi Saschandgin,

Text from a thread on a scam posted on Motorhome Facts in May 2011.

http://************************/forum-printtopic-1-107035-20-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

[HI]The motorhome is in Barcelona, Spain, we can not use it here because is very difficult to drive it here because here we use the right side of the road and left hand cars.
I went to a local dealer and they said they can only give me 4850 EUR, because the steering wheel is on the right side and here in Spain nobody will buy it, so they need to break it and sell the parts, this why I have decided to sell it alone. [/HI]
At the moment I am on vacation and I will be back in the Spain on 11 May
[HI]The motorhome is in very good condition, no leaks or any other form of damages, serviced only on Fiat!
The camper is still registered in UK! [/HI]
You will receive the full service book and all the documents that you need to register the camper in your name !
I chose to ship with DAS (dependable auto shippers) and I put the camper in their warehouse before leaving in vacantion, the price for transport agreement with the DAS,[HI] it is about 700 GBP, which includes insurance during transport. (half of the delivery price, it will be covered by me), so that the final price of the motorhome will be 5800 + 350 (half of the delivery charges) = 6150 GBP. [/HI]
At this time, the motorhome is at DAS and was inspected by an eBay representative and you have the following options:

What a coincidence, hard to drive, only to be sold for parts, seller on holiday, split delivery charge £350, motorhome changes to camper in the text, still registered in the UK....

There's more but need I go on........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

SCAM!!!!

Walk away and don't waste any more time..... time for a beer now guys....:thumb:

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Walk away, have a look at what I have posted, its the same e-mail thats been sent to others, search any sentence of his mail on Google it comes back SCAM...

Before you buy, you need to know about what you are buying, damp checks etc, ask away on here there are people with a lot more knowledge than myself.

TIP, when you buy, pay the deposit (min £100) on a credit card, that will give you some protection under the Consumer Credit Act, section 75..

I'm sure Slobobob or Tracle will confirm that its a good idea...

Ask Funsters any questions, they will assist..

I'm off to bed...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Well that ruffled a few feathers :winky:. Thanks again to all for your help and opinions, I will continue and try to get some more info from this P@^K and if I get somewhere I will let you know.:thumb:

Looks like we will be motorhome-less for a while longer hahaha. Better safe than sorry.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
All I can say is you cant con an honest and intelligent person. With so many errors in the emails and story full of holes its obvious this is a very well known and documented scam

why would somebody genuinely go to those lengths or sell so cheaply if it was genuine? Its a scam designed to take money from idiots and the greedy

sorry its not what you want to hear, but saying you thought this was genuine, says more about the buyer than the fake seller

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Well that ruffled a few feathers :winky:. Thanks again to all for your help and opinions, I will continue and try to get some more info from this P@^K and if I get somewhere I will let you know.:thumb:

[HI]Looks like we will be motorhome-less for a while longer hahaha. Better safe than sorry.:[/HI]BigGrin:

But at least you have found the right place to get helpful advice on all aspects of motorhoming.:thumb:

Any questions you may have, fire away, there is always someone here who will try and help, and even some who have the answers...:RollEyes:

...and occasionally they may take the weewee too... but all in the best possible taste of course..:winky:

That's the FUN...::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

Looks like we will be motorhome-less for a while longer hahaha. Better safe than sorry.::bigsmile:

=========

So ,,,, now that the scammer in Spain deal is binned ( it is , isnt it:Eeek: ) , when are you going to approach some legit dealers in the UK and get yourselves a real , actually existing MH :Smile: . For a start , there will be hundreds of MH s on show at Peterborough show next week . Get yourselves a couple of day tickets . Good place to start a search and saves tramping all over the country just to look ............. Will be plenty of fun members there to offer advice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well researched Shifty

Well researched Shifty.. as I often say I may not be able to describe a RAT but I know one when I see one (excluding Rolland which is still alive)..

It smelt from the start and I would walk away... there is no such thing as a great bargain.. I am sorry to say greed can often make people take short cuts.

The MHF has a lot of world wise people and with many, many years of motor home use under there belts, and they know when things are not right.

The first thing right you have done is ask people on here what they think... I hope you will now be part of this community (i.e pay the £10 subs .. well worth it I am sure you will agree after the exchanges today) .. go to a few shows, look at some dealers, then you will get an idea of the real market value of the item you want to buy.

I wish you luck

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
=========

So ,,,, now that the scammer in Spain deal is binned ( it is , isnt it:Eeek: ) , when are you going to approach some legit dealers in the UK and get yourselves a real , actually existing MH :Smile: . For a start , there will be hundreds of MH s on show at Peterborough show next week . Get yourselves a couple of day tickets . Good place to start a search and saves tramping all over the country just to look .

Will be plenty of fun members there to offer advice.

Hahaha, Hi Tom, Yeh I would say it was binned a while ago but thought it was a good thread anyway. I think we were blinded with excitement but once the giddiness settles and reason starts returning it is obvious that we were silly to even entertain a "bargain" like that.

It is not over yet, I have some things up my sleeve- starting with contacting the email providers for more info and will inform my bro-in-law who can check things out for us. I would love to go to Peterborough but we are in South Africa and then I only have a couple of days before heading back to Saudi to work.

I am just glad you pointed us to this website as it is great! Luckily I still have a contact for the MH we used so we will continue our adventures on my return from work (pos. Jun/ Jul). Hope everyone has had fun reading this thread :roflmto:::bigsmile::thumb:

Talk to you soon, passed my bedtime. :beer:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaschandGin

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Feb 12
Well researched Shifty.. as I often say I may not be able to describe a RAT but I know one when I see one (excluding Rolland which is still alive)..

It smelt from the start and I would walk away... there is no such thing as a great bargain.. I am sorry to say greed can often make people take short cuts.

The MHF has a lot of world wise people and with many, many years of motor home use under there belts, and they know when things are not right.

The first thing right you have done is ask people on here what they think... I hope you will now be part of this community (i.e pay the £10 subs .. well worth it I am sure you will agree after the exchanges today) .. go to a few shows, look at some dealers, then you will get an idea of the real market value of the item you want to buy.

I wish you luck

Bob

Bob, Thanks, we paid subs first day we registered. Looking forward to the meets and shows etc.. if/ when I get time as I work abroad (Saudi) and never really know when I'm back. Great bunch of people and a good crack :moon: :ROFLMAO: look forward to many years of being a member.

Cheers

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you are right there

Bob, Thanks, we paid subs first day we registered. Looking forward to the meets and shows etc.. if/ when I get time as I work abroad (Saudi) and never really know when I'm back. Great bunch of people and a good crack :moon: :ROFLMAO: look forward to many years of being a member.

Cheers

You are 100% right, great bunch on MHF, so much knowledge.. even better when they meet up at a show.. we have 100 at Peterborough show .. so that is going to be good to meet up with old and new friends... hope you will get the right motor home in time and you will join us.

But in the mean time.. join in the posts....ask questions, tell us what you think.. we like to hear everyones views good and bad.. do not worry to much about the banter, it is normally light hearted.. now and then gets a bit heated, but good nature.

Regards

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Here`s a cheap one does seem a bit too cheap tho

Broken Link Removed
£8,200
SWIFT KONTIKI 645 2.8 JTD Diesel

Broken Link Removed .
Videos(0)
Call Seller now
Broken Link Removed07888 839880

244 miles from Mansfield
Broken Link Removed

• 2003 (03)
  • Used
  • 38,000 Miles
  • Diesel
  • White
  • Chassis Make: FIAT
  • 6 Berth
  • Right Hand Drive
  • 2800 cc
  • Manual
  • 3,850 kg MTPLM
  • Chassis Model: DUCATO 18 JTD MWB

This prestigious family friendly, 5/ 6 berth Swift Kontiki 645, offers high performance, simple practicality and great looks that cannot fail to impress. It is equipped with Power steering, CD player, Electric windows, Mirrors and Step, Swivel cab seats, Hot and cold water, Onboard 25 litre fresh water tank, Blow air heating, Fly screens,blinds and curtains, 3 Burner gas and 1 electric hob, grill, oven, Hot store, Extractor fan, Sink, 3 Way fridge, Electric cassette toilet, Freestanding separate shower and Wash basin, Ski locker, Removable carpets, Removable table, Rear lounge, Front dinette, Cupboards, wardrobe and over lockers, TV. Extras: Roof rack and ladder, Fiamma awning, Bike rack, The entrance of the vehicle sits in the centre and opens up into the main living area designed with oak finish wood surfaces in autumnal fabrics. It certainly has a family friendly layout consisting of a front dinette ?L? shaped set up (with the all important passenger seat belt) and a rear lounge. Dining upfront with the removable table is a convenient position being right next to the kitchen, then after dinner you can retire to the spacious rear lounge where you can kick back and relax taking in all the views from the large windows. This area can also be used for meal times as it will seat 6 people in comfort. At night time these areas convert into a large double bed in the rear lounge, with a ¾ bed upfront and lastly you will find an additional 2 berths over the cab. £8,200
7 Point Buying Guide

1. Research the market and compare prices, is the price you're paying a fair one?
  2. Make sure the motorhome has it's log book. Without this you will never be the registered keeper and most insurance companies will refuse to insurance if it's not in your name.
  3. Get as much information from the seller as you can. Ask about recent servicing, any problems with damp or any damaged appliances
  4. Take full stock of your potential purchase, what extras are included? (awnings, water carriers etc.)
  5. Can the seller demonstrate that all the interior appliances are fully functional and working? Replacing fridges, shower units and cookers can be very expensive.
  6. HPI check the vehicle, this will let you know if the motorhome is stolen, written off and gives you an indication on whether the mileage is correct.
  7. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. If something is being offered for sale at a much cheaper price than you would expect then ask yourself why.
If in doubt walk away. There are plenty of other motorhomes out there!
Buyers Guide

• Know what you wantBudget, size, weight restrictions
  • Do your researchCompare prices, different models and layouts
  • Motorhome Inspection ChecklistInterior, exterior, engine, electrics and history
  • Tips on buying your motorhome security deviceHitch locks, alarms, immobilizers, wheel clamps
  • Final ChecksCarry out registration, vehicle and history check
*For more information see our 'Guidelines to buying with confidence'

Contact Seller
Broken Link Removed07888 839880
.Print page

244 miles from Mansfield
Your Notes:
Broken Link Removed Buying Checklist:

• V5c Registration Document Present?
  • Tyres in good condition
  • Lights work correctly
  • Check flooring (inside and underneath) for any damp problems
  • All appliances work correctly
  • Motorhome is priced similarly to others in the market
  • Does the motorhome have a lot of internal and external wear that indicates a hard life?

. Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Just skimmed through the posts .....10 QUID to join this forum for this sort of help priceless............:thumb:
to all the funsters that worked like demons over a few mins to come up with the information I take my hat off to you :thumb::thumb: shiftzz in particular!!

Upvote 0

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Glad you avoided a scum bag scammer there :thumb:

I watched e-bay MH`s for sale for over a year and i think ive seen that spanish ad for quite a long time on there i remember thinking it a bargain but not touch it with a barge pole as per a few other similar to good to be true looking deals on there.

I also watched Auto trader and others for over a year before i got my MH there are some real good deals if you`re quick enough and know what to check before parting with any money.

I bought mine without seeing it up close and personal first but.....

I checked out the dealer and MH as much as i could and got him to agree delivery from 160 miles away included in the already bargain price by offering a small non refundable deposit based on it being as good as described paid by credit card which if pay over £100 is insured payment by the card Co..

When he turned up my mechanic mates and others who know thier stuff went over it and it passed with flying colours also the guy spent time demonstrating the cab features and included was a 3 month headed warranty.

But most of all went on instinct initially !

Upvote 0
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
There is nothing wrong with buying a motorhome without having seen it first - done that, got the t-shirt.

BUT you do need to satisfy yourself that all is well before doing so.

And in case no-one has already mentioned this...

Ebay won't act as a middle man for purchases. What you need to use in an escrow company. Sometimes these fraudsters say they are using ebay escrow implying that it is affiliated with ebay in some way, perhaps even using website addresses like www.ebay-escrow-services.com and this is just part of the con.

I haven't used an escrow service myself the ebay recommended one is - www.escrow.com (read here to see what ebay have to say about escrow
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/pay/escrow.html )

I don't go with the whole "if it seems to good to be true, then it probably is" ethos either. If I did, I would have missed out on my first motorhome, a weeks holiday in Tenerife for £40, and loads of other bargains.

You just need to do your homework (as you did, starting this thread) and think things through.

HTH

Bryan

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Oh come on I do not believe ANYONE is (insert your own words) enough to buy a van you have not seen from an advert are they really?

Nobody should be taken in by this sort of thing your not going to get a van for about 25% of what its worth, even if its the right price for the van your not going to part with a penny till you seen, driven,and proven the ownership and HPI,checked its not on HP etc.

Upvote 0

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Oh come on I do not believe ANYONE is (insert your own words) enough to buy a van you have not seen from an advert are they really?

Nobody should be taken in by this sort of thing your not going to get a van for about 25% of what its worth, even if its the right price for the van your not going to part with a penny till you seen, driven,and proven the ownership and HPI,checked its not on HP etc.

I was (insert your own words) enough !

Did deal on my terms with no payment at risk till it was delivered to me and i was happy with MH & all details about it. The same MH`s on e-bay were a lot higher mileage and £4k & £5k more expensive so not a bad result eh !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back