Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
we are heading into this area for this long weekend, we usually go into the dales but fancy a change. We will be wild camping and would welcome any info on the area. Will defo be driving the raiders road and plan one night at otters pool

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The red deer range, near Clatteringshaws visitor centre, is a good place to stop for the night. Make sure to take plenty of carrots with you, and tell Spike and Arran that Steve and Beth say hi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As mentioned above the Red deer center is an ideal place to stay, if coming from Clatteringshaws then take the second entrance which will take you to the higher car park where you will be out of sight.
If you do drive along the raiders road you can stop the night at the otter pool which has a toilet block, just remeber to buy a ticket and no one will bother you. Once out the other end you can stay the night at Kirroughtree visitor center again just buy a ticket, some lovely walks from here and they have a lovely cafe and showers which you can pay for if needed.
Any more info please feel free to ask

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forecast isn't to bad this weekend, enjoy your visit.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Glen Trool is worth a drive through & a good spot to make camp is at Kirriereoch Picnic Area, the picnic area is well signposted. You'll find it on Google Earth. Its right on the border between Ayrshire & Dumfries & Galloway. I've wild camped there since I was 5yrs old with our family motorhome in the 60s & still do from time to time. Its peaceful & the picnic spot is just far enough back from the road so you won't hear any traffic & the Glen Trool road isn't exactly the M6 lol. The Glen Trool visitors centre has a nice wee cafe & has plenty of parking for any sized vehicle.
There is another forest drive in the area which runs from Stincher Falls to Loch Doon but the main part of the road is under repair just now & I wouldn't recommend it, but the Stincher Falls car park is in perfect condition & is a popular wilding spot.

The otter pool on The Raiders Road is simply superb so you've made a wise choice there too.

Whatever you do I hope you enjoy a visit to our area & that you'll want to come back for more. The Midge season isn't upon us either yet so things should be perfect.

Please let us know how you get on, enjoy.

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Just got back, stayed 1st night at clattering shares. Drove the raiders rd and stayed an hour at the otters pool, defo will return there to stay in summer. Drove up and had a mooch round kirroughtree before moving on and staying the night at sweetheart abbey along with 6 others who were there. This was nice and quiet and would recommend as a night stop over. Then trundled back to Morecambe along the coast
All in all a pleasant weekend. Shall return soon and explore some more

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Glad you enjoyed it, shame the weather didn't really smile upon you. Its been beautiful here all day & its a smashing evening although there's to be a groundfrost tonight.
Hurry back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back