GALAX-E Leisure Batteries

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Dorset Diver, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Has anyone any experience or information, good or bad, to offer about this new breed of battery?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

£269 for a 110ah battery !!!!

Trojans are cheaper and higher capacity with an 80% discharge rate.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If it were me, I would be very cautious. The price is very high for a product that claims no new technology but bases its performance claim on derivation from 'high quality industrial batteries'. The URL stated on the battery casing in the picture (Caravan Club shop) 'www.GALAX-E.co.uk' does not exist; the business selling the batteries - Powalite - appears to have only three employees and is not registered at Companies House.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Exactly Richard (@JeanLuc) I too am very suspicious. They are also being advertised in the C&CC mag. this mouth.

5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Made by the Dutch firm ELFA http://lead-crystalbatteries.co.uk/technology/lead-crystal-battery-technology

Lead crystal technology, reading the web site it says they need a special battery charger, "or they will die"

They won't be getting my money any time soon.

Martin

Edit, I should have said marketed by a company in the Netherlands. Quite possibly Chinese but the more I read the more confused I am although they do look good performers.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I agree about the charging observation Martin. According to the data sheet for the 100Ah model it needs an initial charging current of 30 amps - not many on-board motorhome chargers are capable of that (if any) - leaving aside B2B chargers.
    Also, despite the CC Shop / Powalite statement, it appears they are a form of AGM battery and there have been several posts regarding problems with AGM batteries and standard / older charging systems that do not have an AGM program.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Im old Skool when it comes to batteries and have little to offer on the "new " stuff around,
    even though Im only dealing with so called "reputable battery suppliers" the water is getting muddier by the week
    well known AMP HR figures ie 80s 110s 115s are fast disappearing in favour of new numbers, and battery descriptions are more vague than ever
    My latest purchase of exide 450s 95amp hr (bought because of size constrains) billed on the Exide site as "a premium leisure battery" is now boasting "cold cranking amps" and "Duel" technology
    as its really a Marine battery and can be used to start a boat engine i presume:mad: So is it a starter or a leisure battery, Neither its a DUAL TECHNO Tosh:swear2:
    What I can tell you from experiance and i said it in another post 97% OF Batteries DONT fail, THEY ARE MURDERED by neglect and lack of knowledge and poor maintenance and equipment
    It is just as easy to murder a £60 Battery as it is a £260 Battery and when its dead it is usually dead dead some can be revived though with the right treatment and equipment
    My advise for the masses is buy cheap and replace often, for best bang for the £ lead acid is old, tried and tested, and reliable, and it can be charged with a lightning bolt :rofl::pray:
    G

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

GALAX-E, Betta batteries and Lead Crystal are all the same batteries and quite possibly all made by EGE Ever Green Energy in China. Or at least that's what the last hour tells me, and it's not exactly new technology.

Martin

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Torchy88

Torchy88

Hello all contributors to the GALAX-E battery discussion.
    I am the MD of ELFA UK which is a new company formed as a an extension of the third generation family business ELFA in the Netherlands that distributes and manufactures industrial products particularly batteries and lighting. Powalite is simply a division of ELFA that markets consumer focussed products such as leisure batteries and lanterns. I have been selling batteries in industry for 30 years and was UK Sales Director of the worlds largest lead battery producer for 8 years.
    GALAX-E is a truly remarkable product that utilises a unique new electrolyte which is a combination of substances including a very weak acid. The electrolyte crystallises to a dry powder after a few cycles and as it does not corrode the plates or sulphate, the battery has remarkable cycling ability (1500 cycles to 80% DOD) and can be left partially or fully discharged without damage. In all other respects it is basically a thick plate modified traction battery using AGM separators. It has been tested by world class test houses and users and simply out-performs any other lead-based cycling battery. We have provided samples to senior technical members of the well known Caravan and Motorhome clubs for real-life testing and have only received positive responses to date. We are also about to submit test data to the NCC so that we can participate in their leisure battery verification scheme (Class A). I can assure all sceptics that we are a genuine UK Ltd company with responsible directors and a passion for high quality and excellent customer service and usually these things cost a little more. We are building a reputation based on the performance of our products and our people and happy to answer any questions about either. Thanks

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

If your looking for a new leisure battery, you may want to look at the 'NCC Verified Leisure Battery list' in the resources section. All of these batteries have been independently tested and classified accordingly.

[​IMG]

11. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Informative but it would be helpful to have a link to a website that works and also to be provided with comprehensive data.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

The thing is, however good it claims to be, is it really three times as good which is what the price would suggest?

13. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

The advertisements speak highly of it. :)

I'm with @Geo almost, other than don't buy too cheap. Research and try to find a balance of cost against performance, but always with a wet battery.

Bloody hell, I have just almost agreed with the SpannerTypeFellow and so must now go and lay down in a darkened room, with a damp flannel on the forehead and with a glass of lightly chilled. :devil:

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Won't work, you are stuffed, the only answer a .357 magnum to the head. Better than the white coats, straight jacket and terrible drugs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Worse than that, if the comment on charging is correct you have to find and install a new charger. What about solar, no chance of 30A there.

16. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Here you go.
    http://lead-crystalbatteries.co.uk/home

17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Hi and thanks for this. Can you provide details of the 3 year warranty and the method you would use to test a returned battery under warranty. Also, Can you provide the technical spec's for your 100 AH battery. (weight, No. of cycles etc),(I'm sure it's on your website but have not yet come across it yet)).
    Thanks in advance.

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Just read their page about 'Charging Technology' If I have read it right my Sargent system on my Autotrail is not compatible with these batteries.
    Something to be considered for future motorhomes I think.

19. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

For such a pricey item said to be so wonderfully reliable with robust technology capable of withstanding many cycles, deep discharge and abuse a three year warranty seems very mean; I would expect six at the very minimum.

20. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've just read that as well. I shouldn't think they are compatible with many motorhome systems.

The onboard charger won't work.

Your existing solar installation won't work.

Charging via the alternator might possibly work depending on the alternator and the charging set up. EDIT: It won't if it's a conventional setup that uses the onboard charger.

If you buy the "special" charger and decided to use the EHU post on your pitch to plug that into then you lose the all other EHU only functions of your motorhome.

They're looking more and more of an attractive proposition every minute. :Eeek: Consider the ridiculous price on top of the above and I don't see how they can fail :LOL:

Do I get the impression that someone has decided to try and market these things as the next big thing for motorhomes without thinking it through properly?

• Like Like x 1