G4 LED bulbs (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
has anyone any experience of these bulbs ?
as in so many motorhomes , we have under cupboard lights which are fitted with this size bulb ; unfortunately , although the halogen bulbs haven't faded , the eyes have , and reading is increasingly a problem

more than one wattage of halogen G4 bulb is available it seems , but as you will all know , solar panels or not , electricity supplies are finite

so LED sounds the way to go ...but question is what [ pun intended ] do I need ?
I see LED's in the G4 sideways profile offered at 80/100/120/140 lumens ....how do these equate ?

any feedback appreciated

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Hi there

100 lumen is about equivalent light output to 5w halogen lamp, but the power consumption is about 0.3 watts.
Basically more lumens brighter the output.

Hope this helps.

if sucsessful, post a comment as i guess lots of people in similar position.

Cheers

Peter

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have replaced our halogen bulbs with LED's. We have fitted the warm white variety for general use, and have used the bright white variety in those lamps required for reading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so LED sounds the way to go ...but question is what [ pun intended ] do I need ?

Not that easy - I've replaced all our bulbs with LEDs but because of the different light pattern I had to alter the LEDs to get the best out of them. As plugged in the LED was so deep in the holder it was not efficient. I soldered on flying leads and glued the LED to the glass of the fitting, that made a good improvement. But even so probably a bit less bright that the tungsten bulb.

I rejected bright white for warm white, I found the bright one too glaring but this may be a benefit for you.

On the main ceiling fitting I replaced a reflector bulb with 3 LED modules to get a better spread of light. So, LEDs do work but maybe not just as a straight plug in.

Mind you, in the last 2 years LEDs will have improved even further.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I put Link Removed in the washroom of our van and find it brighter than the bulb it replaced.

Also put some Link Removed (except we used ones with 4 LEDs) in the spotlights and find they are great for reading.

We used White rather than Warm White but that's purely personal preference.

Best way is to get them at a show because the suppliers have display boards set up so that you can see the difference between different lamps.

Graham

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I replaced all the halogen bulbs in my van with LED's. The saving in consumption is staggering.

I have a 100W crystalline solar panel on the roof, and within minutes of the sun coming out, even after a full evenings use of the lights, the panel reads a full 14.7v and zero consumption.

When using the old halogens, it could take several hours of bright sunshine to replenish the battery.

The bulbs I use are very, very reasonable - about the cheapest I've seen:

MR16 Bulbs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back