Future for diesel? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Magicsurfbus I think you are right , but you omit to mention the rapid rate of change. that is what concerns scientists the most.

Meanwhile we have moved a long way from my original post . If diesel vans are going to be worthless in only a few years , what, if anything can we do?

Stop worrying for a start ! What on earth do people think will happen ? We get up a fortnight on Sunday and our diesel cars are worthless???

It's just the usual pre have it .......... Well the Pre hit us in the pocket nonsense as posted above.

Think about it what are the alternatives to power Motor Homes ? Petrol ? Err no. Way to much would be burned... Electric ? Unlikely in our lifetimes as even small cars are nowhere near viable unless you live in cities and don't venture far but massively expensive. For what is in effect a fully laden commercial vehicle platform forget it. Hybrid ? Much the same as petrol or electric given they are a combination of both hardly surprising... Nowhere near viable for Motorhomes.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Rumour has it that in 2017 there will be a flat rate of £140 road tax for cars. Doesn't matter if you have 1000cc or a 6 litre gas guzzler or a brand new hybrid. Only vehicles which will be exempt will be 100% electric cars. What happened to encouraging folk to buy fuel efficient green cars? Just watch the tax on fuel and road tax rise, they will use the green ticket as the excuse and try to get people to buy electric vehicles. As for commercial vehicles they will have to pay through the nose to enter large towns and cities. We've had electric trolley buses in the past, they may make an appearance once more. Park and Ride with trams taking passengers into cities will be the norm or take your car if you have deep pockets. Watch this space:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manxcat
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Interesting , I'm OK as I live on the Isle of Man , a rural area. we already pay through the nose for road tax and fuel. If you are right I wonder how urban dwellers can even own a van. Most people of course live in cities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sorry but rumours are just that nothing more.
We to live way out rural so electric cars are not nor likely will be viable .

As for paying to go into cities well high street shops are struggling like hell so to keep us out of towns would be terrible for those businesses!!!

For me if I never go into a town again I would be chuffed !!

In our house we would be better off with a flat VED rate.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The present temp can be verified but pre 1800 s are just intelligent guesses because no records were kept...BUSBY,,

Analysis of atmospheric air bubbles trapped in the Greenland ice sheet for millennia provide the pre-1800 record. Both the temperature and the level of CO2 can be calculated for thousands of years back, and they've risen significantly as mankind has spread across the planet and modified the environment.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Bubbles trapped in ice are going to be cold!

The instruments used today are far more accurate than those used in the past - even 50 years ago - and this applies to temperature measurements as well as any other measurements.

Dave

Deleted User
Predictions and forecasts!........................

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

"This problem came to a head when in 1894, The Times newspaper predicted... “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.”

This became known as the ‘Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’.

The terrible situation was debated in 1898 at the world’s first international urban planning conference in New York, but no solution could be found. It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.

However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the invention in this case was that of motor transport. Henry Ford came up with a process of building motor cars at affordable prices. Electric trams and motor buses appeared on the streets, replacing the horse-drawn buses.

By 1912, this seemingly insurmountable problem had been resolved; in cities all around the globe, horses had been replaced and now motorised vehicles were the main source of transport and carriage.

Even today, in the face of a problem with no apparent solution, people often quote 'The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894', urging people not to despair, something will turn up!"

Mr Micawber!!:xgrin:

What goes around, comes around.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I try to follow this advice every day (apart from believing in word 1, of course) in the secure knowledge that nothing I could or would bother to do will make any difference to very much.

in 1894, The Times newspaper predicted... “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.

The Times was partly right, in 1944 many of London's streets were buried - but high flying horses were not the cause.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I try to follow this advice every day (apart from believing in word 1, of course) in the secure knowledge that nothing I could or would bother to do will make any difference to very much.

The Times was partly right, in 1944 many of London's streets were buried - but high flying horses were not the cause.

What about us atheists?

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
The future of all fossil fuels is limited to the speed at which they are used up.
Hydrogen will probably be the fuel of the future but i, Oh no, what's gone wrong/ I've started typing in a high voice:xgrin:

Phill

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Now, Why is it that I too am a sceptic?. Would it have something to do with AGE?, and having seen the machinations of big business and political power brokers over time?. I have reached the stage where if a politician says something is black then I know in my heart it must be white!.

There must be millions out there who, just as I am, are sick to death of being told that I am THICK, because I do not see their (often flawed) reasoning!.

Climate change, is just one example, there is as much information against it being no more that the natural evolution of the planet, than there is in favour of "Global Warming"!. If man had not taken over, something else would, and could be even more destructive, Imagine, say, some micro organism, instead of mankind,? what limited knowledge we have of how aggressive they can be might well have led to a natural destruction of the Earth. Placing the blame on Homo Sapiens entirely takes no account of the "natural" contribution. BUT is convenient as a way of making it easier for a greedy global Cabal to inflict greater pressure on the population in the effort to concentrate control into the hands of "The Few".

A recent study of alleged pollution caused by Marine Engines, for example failed miserably in that it took no account of the efficiency of the Ship as a transport medium. (ppm pollutants per Kg of freight moved). regardless of the "fact" that they use the Residual refining product as fuel?. BTW, the reason Ships STILL burn hydrocarbons has everything to due with the "Green Lobby" world wide in NOT wanting to see Nuclear Power in Ships!, Because atom bombs are nasty!, even though the record shows that, as yet, not one surface ship has ever had an issue.

There has been much debate on the merits of Electric Motive Power, but the fact is that it is so far from being usable in any meaningful way for Personal transport, and where used in other ways has just as harmful effect in the calculation of overall "Carbon Footprint". Battery technology is painfully slow developing and the Re-charging times are ridiculous, Little mention is made of Hydrogen Technology beyond the perception that it is a "dangerous product" as the result of the showing of the Hindenburg fire so often!. And yet the chemistry is simple, and if pursued is more likely to produce a viable alternative to Traditional Carbons in a shorter time frame? what is missing is the catalyst to produce the hydrogen initially (using heat from Nuclear Power??) which when combusted to produce heat and gas expansion has little or no noxious by products.

Nov 6, 2016
Farnham surrey
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79_4. Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was under the impression that a euro 6 diesel engine needs ad blue to run therefore cutting the nox quite considerably, so surely compliant with euro laws and ours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back