Fuse for televison socket in van has blown urgent help required

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by scotzsue, Sep 17, 2016.

1. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

John plugged a ciggy lighter socket into the 12 volt system to charge his mobile phone, socket is now dead, it is the one we need for John's CPAP anyone know where the fuse might be? CI mizar with fuse box behind the seat, everything else seams to be working so think there may be a fuse behind the panel. Any ideas folks, we are on a campsite tonight but will be using Aires for the next week. this is the only live 12 volt socket we have.

2. buttons

buttons Funster

Have you tried googling the wiring diagram you could be lucky.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Is the socket on the dashboard? If so it will probably be one of the vehicle fuses. Either under the bonnet or perhaps below the steering wheel - depending on model and date of the MH chassis.

4. johnandi

johnandi Funster

I'd say a 'vehicle' fuse rather than 'Motorhome' fuse. The fusebox may be or under the glovebox. I'd have thought more likely to be more within the cab than under the bonnet. What is the base vehicle and year?

5. johnandi

johnandi Funster

Another thought - when you say the socket is 'dead' are you sure it's the socket and not the USB charger or whatever it is that is plugged into the socket. I say this because a lot of 12volt plugs (those that fit into ciggy sockets) have an inbuilt inline fuse - maybe it's this that's blown? You can normally unscrew or dismantle the plug to access the fuse.

Alternatively the socket itself may have an inline fuse - if you can unscrew the socket from the dash you may be able to pull it forward and see it a fuse is connected on the cable itself.

6. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Sue, I realise I have a different van but one of my USB plug ins always fused the socket (hab area). My fuse is a 10amp in the hab fuse box and I carry a packet of spares. If it is in the hab area do you have any of the van papers which will identify which fuse it is? Hope you get it sorted and enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

After thought - if it is on the dash the fuse will be mentioned in the vehicle handbook.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Thanks all. to clarify, the 12 volt socket is in the habitation area at the dedicated place for a tv, there is an electric socket which is working ok have checked all the fuses in the nor electric box behind the seat, none fused.
    Van is a CI Mizar 2008 on a fiat ducato, we have the CI handbook with us but there is no wiring diagram or details of fuses, it does say there should be a separate document which I have never seen.
    John thinks it must come off the leisure battery circuit have never used it without , he is wondering how with a 'one piece' socket the socket works but the 12 V doent my favourite is a fuse behind the socket. any more ideas?

9. johnandi

johnandi Funster

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It may well be an inline fuse behind it. All you can do is to try and find it but are you 100% sure one of the fuses in the box you've looked at isn't blown? It can be difficult to see some times. A multi-meter is the best way to check unless you have the magic led fuses which light up when they blow.

Do you not have a cigar lighter socket on the dash? If so presumably this can be used as a backup and also a way of confirming what has blown - the socket or the device you are plugging into it. It will mean turning on the ignition though of course or charging during the day while driving.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. johnandi

johnandi Funster

Ah, if the socket is in the hab area, not on the dashboard then I'd agree - more likely to be off the leisure battery.
    Our 12v TV socket (2007 Ducato based Hymer) is different from the 12v dashboard socket. the TV socket being rated at 10A. I think there is a fuse within the plug. I can't easily get behind the socket but there could be an in-line fuse fitted.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Unfortunately dash sockets dont work with ignition off so not able to utilise it for overnightCPAP would drain vehicle battery. The solar panel will charge it during the day and battery master should keep them equal.
    have tried to send a photo but dont know how to upload.

13. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Dash sockets working ok
    edited to add- as are devices

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

How about a picture or two ? There is a small chance it could help. What is right behind the socket ? Wardrobe maybe ?

Look carefully down the hole, it is just possible the USB device bent a pin in there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

unfortunately not easily accessible will say van is well put together but think 2 inch screws a bit of overkill trying to get socket out at the moment dont know how to add a photo will look at how to and try again

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

well i am excited hope it works

Attached Files:

17. johnandi

johnandi Funster

I don't know the CPAP device nor how much current it takes from the 12v socket when switched on. But, if during normal use, it doesn't normally flatten the leisure battery overnight and assuming that the leisure and vehicle batteries are about the same AH (90AH'ish?) and also assuming that you only have 1 leisure battery, then running the CPAP overnight from the dash 12v socket may not flatten the vehicle battery.
    Worth trying if all else fails and you can't locate the fault.

18. johnandi

johnandi Funster

Well done, got the photo!
    Looks like our TV 12v socket, rated at 10A. I'm not near our van to check but think the TV 12v socket is smaller than the standard dash mounted socket - hence plugs different size.
    If this is correct then scratch my previous post/idea of using dash socket, it won't fit. Sorry!

19. Bart

Bart Funster

@scotzsue i have a simular ciggy / 240V panel in our MH , now i'm not sure if there is an inline fuse for the ciggy lighter behind the lighter socket its self , but it should be easy to get at , make sure all you power is OFF , especially your 240V supply , then you see the outer silver cover around the sockets , it just prises off with a small screw driver or flat knife , then there will be about 2 screws to undo then you should be able to pull of the ciggy lighter enough to see if there is an inline fuse in it. BUT i would say most likey the fuse should be in the MH fuse box somewhere , but just try the above if all else if lost.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

just discovered most of lights not working too fridge is not on the fridge fuse, but is working. confused .com so will check lights fuses going to have a glass of wine, tea and scream lol