Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A question for all you motorhome electricians.

A satellite dish (Oyster auto) appears to have been fitted using the 12V feed from the fridge ignighter. Not, I would have thought the best idea, but during recent of the dish use the fuse protecting the ignighter curcuit was blown.

Would it be a good idea to uprate the 3 amp fuse to a higher rating as it is now having to carry more current when the dish is being deployed?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i wouldnt change the rating.
its at 3 amp for a reason.
could be the wire isnt up to much more current.
id try to find a new supply for the dish with a suitable fuse rating possibly a 12v socket supply with a suitably rated inline fuse in the oyster cable.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Keith

The fuse is fitted to protect the cable from being overloaded rather than to protect the equipment it feeds, so there is no reason not to upgrade the fuse within the current carrying capacity of the cable.
However ..
Without knowing the size of the cable it's not possible to say, I would agree with Johns assessment, better to run a separate supply for the dish..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
I would agree run a new feed

the wire should connect to a permanant 12v feed even when the engine is running, some 12v sockets are switched off when you start the engine

:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back