LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi All
Well we're well and truly knackered. Left Blue Ridge Mountains this morning early to head down to Jamestown Virginia about 600 miles.
After 20 miles a terrible smell of petrol all through the RV. Pulled over and on inspection could see fuel dripping from the fuel tank. Scary drive to nearest campground then hours waiting for a fitter only to be told main agent job:cry::cry:. Booked into a large RV dealer tomorrow morning but no guarentees they can do the job or get the bits apparently its a high pressure fuel pipe and can't be repaired.
Oh the joys of a traveller, at least the suns shining and the fridge is full of steak and beer::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There has to be a US equivelant of our UK "Phone-A-Hose" Rory
All High pressure hoses made up on site:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Ror and Jan.

Hope you get that hose sorted soon.

In the meantime.....And I know you will.....Just chill out...Enjoy the scenery....And have a beer and Steak.....Mmmmm:thumb:

Good Luck Guys.

PS Have you got the bikes with you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Its Ok Rory, I know the blue ridge mountains very well as I was rescued from there in a magnificant snow storm in 1990.
My Passport also arrived today so I am ready to fly out immediately and have a look at it for you..... I can bring some tools, take sharp intakes of breath and then tell you its deffinately a main dealer job :Blush:
I will then charge my expenses to your credit card after I have eaten your steak and drank your beer, and followed you for the next 6 weeks in a rental RV to make sure it does not brake down again.

Give me a call if I can help :winky: :thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
no gaffer tape in the US
only duct tape

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There has to be a US equivelant of our UK "Phone-A-Hose" Rory
All High pressure hoses made up on site:thumb:

Yeah I thought that, I was sure I could do it my self but the tank is right up tight against the floor and the pipe is on top between floor and tank and too far in to reach. Can just see it with a flash light its spraying up against the floor then running down both sides of the tank. So the tank has to be dropped, its a hundred gallon tank with 75 gallons still in it so a bit too heavy for me even with Jans help:ROFLMAO:
The guy who came out was really helpfull and would'nt take any money as he could'nt fix it. I did offer to pay Honest Geo:whatthe:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
At least you got started, we haven't even left Texas yet, you wouldn't believe the troubles we've had in finding the right vehicle and camper. People have let us down, left right and center. Finally picked up our truck today and should be driving to Oklahoma tomorrow to get our truck camper, that's if the guy there doesn't let us down. He has offered to help fit the tie-down kit onto our truck and then take us to a rodeo meet on Saturday.

Arrived back to our nieces with the truck and the engine managemet light came on, so now we are on our deisel ram forum in the states to see if anyone can enlighten us as to what to do.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon, doesn't bear thinking about if you hadn't noticed it but headed off into the sunset unawares. Hope it's not too hot, its been 93 degrees today and VERY humid, it's now 11.05 p.m. and still 84 degrees, thank god for air conditioning.

All the best, you never know we might catch up with you yet.

Nigel and Pamala

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Forestboy -- Sundowners, try as i might, I'm finding it hard to find an ounce of sympathy for your plight in the US, i just can't get past the jealousy:Smile:

Hope your journeys continue/start soon:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Rescue tape is a US product and at the shows it is claimed to be able to repair presurised systems-Lets see it proved!!

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Forestboy -- Sundowners, try as i might, I'm finding it hard to find an ounce of sympathy for your plight in the US, i just can't get past the jealousy:Smile:

Hope your journeys continue/start soon:thumb:

I could not say better ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well it just got a whole lot worse:Eeek:
The problem is a fractured fuel pump which is spraying fuel everywhere so no chance of going any further. The engineer has spent 5 hours on the phone trying to locate a pump, guess what!!!!! 3 weeks minimum. So it looks like we'll dump the RV with him and carry on in the SUV and hopefully collect the RV on the way back unless I can blag him into buying it off me or selling it while I'm travelling.

Sundowners its a nightmare is'nt it service here is even worse than the UK now, when we first started coming over people could'nt do enough now its just the opposite. Temperature here today 96 & 90 percent humidity STICKY:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well it just got a whole lot worse:Eeek:
The problem is a fractured fuel pump which is spraying fuel everywhere so no chance of going any further. The engineer has spent 5 hours on the phone trying to locate a pump, guess what!!!!! 3 weeks minimum. So it looks like we'll dump the RV with him and carry on in the SUV and hopefully collect the RV on the way back unless I can blag him into buying it off me or selling it while I'm travelling.

Sundowners its a nightmare is'nt it service here is even worse than the UK now, when we first started coming over people could'nt do enough now its just the opposite. Temperature here today 96 & 90 percent humidity STICKY:Eeek:

Thats all we need you dragging FUN into this habit we seem to have of flooding the US in fuel and oil:Doh:
Jim set aside a couple of Million :Doh:
When's someone going to toss the match

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Oh I do feel for you Rorry, good luck in getting it sorted in the mean time you and jan have fun now :roflmto:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thats all we need you dragging FUN into this habit we seem to have of flooding the US in fuel and oil:Doh:
Jim set aside a couple of Million :Doh:
When's someone going to toss the match

Thanks a lot mate always rely on you for sensible advise:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I seem to remember helping fix a windscreen in the sahara with lashings of gaffa tape so time to call in a favour. Charlotte is the nearest airport let me know what flight you'll be on and I'll pick you up.
Don't forget your toolkit:thumb::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I really wish I was with you Ror, Id have an electric pump of some sort rigged up in no time
I got a VW type 2 back from Wales with a pump up garden weed sprayer 1 gallon at a time:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Rory
Just a thought-----can you get a new 'straw'/pickup pipe in the tank and fit an electric pump outside the tank ??? With Dodge rams they leave the in-tank pump and fit a 'FASS' pump outside the tank. (on our old Dodge we could use the original pick-up pipe as the pump was on the block) On the later models they have to fit a new pick-up pipe as you can't pull fuel through the in-tank pump.
Just thought------the Dodge is diesel----better check it is the same with gas (petrol)
Better than waiting for the proper pump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can't get any sense there, google 'diesel ram.com' and ask---they are really great guys (and, like mhf, totally FREE
GOOD LUCK----------If we ever get going we may catch you on the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigel

Averhamdave

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Nr Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
6 years (25yrs tugging!)
I really wish I was with you Ror, Id have an electric pump of some sort rigged up in no time
I got a VW type 2 back from Wales with a pump up garden weed sprayer 1 gallon at a time:thumb:

Nice one George, just what I'd expect from an ex grasser!
I feel for him because, as described, it wouldn't hard to lash something up would it?
Dave

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Nice one George, just what I'd expect from an ex grasser!
I feel for him because, as described, it wouldn't hard to lash something up would it?
Dave
I know what you maen Dave:ROFLMAO:
But for the rest out there
Im not an ex weed smoker:whatthe:
I wasnt a paid informant either:Doh:
Prehaps youd better explain Dave::bigsmile:
Rorys no mug he'd have thought it all through. I thinks its only a weight and access problem
But we grassers would have had it on its side by now:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well we'll be back on the road tomorrow with a bit of luck but no thanks to the poxy rv dealer we've got lumbered with typical could'nt give a shit attitude. Had a row with the guy in charge of servicing and parts, if he worked for me I'd sack the lazy bstd. His attitude was no parts available for at least 3 weeks you'll just have to wait and we'll charge you storage and you can't have hookup so dump everything in your fridge freezer. When I asked about alternative parts other than OEM he talked to me like I was an idiot.
Back to the hotel on tinternet found a part within 2 hours with help from a guy on IRV2 forum in USA which I'm a member of. Had another argument because he was pissed off I'd found a part and did'nt believe it was the right part. It arrived today Friday and guess what it's the right part. Wish I'd never got involved and had stripped it down myself on the campsite it was only the weight of the tank that stopped me. A crack in the top housing could have been patched up enough to finish the trip it was just impossible to get at without dropping the tank. At least we've got extended warranty so it should'nt cost us too much.
see you soon
Ror & Jan

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Rory

I've not been on the forum much lately and just read through your post.....Glad you got sorted eventually

It's not like you to lose your cool in a foreign country :RollEyes: you don't want to be interrogated for hours again do you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck to Matey luv to Jan

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Glad its sorted Ror.

Its so hard reading your post and trying to feel sorry for you:winky::roflmto:

Hope the rest of your trip you have a ball:thumb:

oakeyfamily

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Just catching up with messages here and saw your posting.

Really hope you can manage to get it sorted. We had a speedo problem which only main agent (ford) could fix which cost a bomb but I suppose lucky that at least they could fix it.

Here's wishing you luck and we are here in Wyoming raising a glass to ya, coz without you and your advice we wouldnt be here.

Stella and James

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Rory & Co,
Glad you got sorted out OK
We got a Dodge dually cummins in the end (2006)
We are now on our way--------after driving from Galveston to Ponca City (100 miles North of Oklahoma City) to pick-up a truck camper--------now mounted on the truck.
We are now in Kansas (visiting friends---and using their wi-fi)
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back