May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi guys,

We are off next July for 1yr touring Europe. What is the best way to access our money - British bank account with lots of fees or can we get a Euro bank account? And how are the Europeans with C/C & for small transactions?
And can anyone tell me when the French schools usually close for summer, I am beginning to think we may be setting off at worst time of year!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Funds

Yep July and August is school holidays and normally very busy. Roads at weekends at change over are not great. Saying that I am sure you will not be stuck for somewhere to pitch up !! And the weather will be hot or at least it is usually .

We used to have a Nationwide card for sterling withdrawals but not free now :Sad: but Norwich and Peterborough Building Society do not charge but there is a 2 charge from Visa but cheap compared to other banks . We just use it to access UK funds although we obviously have a French bank account. They allowed us to open an account even though we live abroad . A rare thing !! We just had to visit in person with the required paperwork which we did on a visit to family. Might be of interest to Funsters who live abroad ?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you looked at a Caxton Card?

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gaugey

Free Member
Jan 13, 2009
Funster No
Money for Europe

Hi,

We toured last year, (including Eastern Europe) for 10 weeks and this year for 8 weeks and found the cheapest and safest way to 'carry' our funds was by using a pre loaded credit/debit card. We had a Fairfx card but there are lots available now, you load them with funds when the exchange rate is at the best, (gamble when to do this though) then just withdraw, or even use it for payment, when needed. We found that this gave us peace of mind as we didn't carry too much cash and also allowed us to set limits on our spends, or at least to budget better. Worth doing research on which card suits you best.
Have a happy, safe trip.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We spend a considerable time touring outside the UK and the EU and use a mixture of Nationwide CC for purchases such as fuel, meals etc. As long as its set up to pay the balance in full there is no charge. For cash withdrawals in the EU we have a Caxton FX pre load card which we pre load when the rate is good. For cash withdrawals outside the EU we have a Caxton world traveller pre payment card which we load just before leaving. Using this method we don't have to carry large amounts of cash and get a good rate of exchange.
We did get caught out last year in Spain as many Spanish banks will not change sterling cash now.

OP
OP
J

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all

Thanks guys, the Nationwide CC I already have so I'll keep that going and just change the payment. Do I go to the Bureau de Change to get a Caxton Card? Have never heard of it but I presume its like the ones that you can get for going on holiday!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back