Fun Subscriptions - soon?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by weejocky, Apr 13, 2010.

1. weejocky

weejocky Funster

We might pay £10 a year for the oldest forum, (I won't say biggest coz they coook the boooks when it comes to member numbers:Smile:)

Now £15 to wildcamping. Online Newspapers are now charging me to read the news. Is the free pioneering/wildwest time on the internet coming to an End?

When is Fun going to start charging us.
    Ironically its grown into the only one MH site worth paying for:Rofl1::Rofl1: Not that I would, I don't get the internet enough, I'm just sayin.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It was and still is a wonderful tool, the wealth of knowledge available at the touch of a button, web cams, social networking, web logs etc etc is the stuff of science fiction.. but the original concept of a border-less free cyber world has been lost .. Google "who controls the internet"

IMO there will always be 'free' forums and free news sites.. lets hope the 'cowboys' are not driven off the range ..

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Oh yes.

You can't even watch a YouTube video now without adverts popping up. Greed is everywhere.

But what should we expect for nowt ?

When was the last time you went down the street handing out fivers ?

Personally I'd much prefer to give Jim some cash than have to a load of crap adverts that play havoc when mobile on a dongle and eat up good quality screen space.

Hey Jim, this is your Big Break. Offer a subscription service with no adverts or the free service littered with adverts.

What's a tenner anyway - 50 miles driving. It's not that long ago I was paying £15 a month for a conferencing deal and even now it's £8 a month but since I've retired I no longer pay this.

4. wireman

wireman Read Only Funster

I am a forum that works just like that. pay a few quid and you get a advert free board and a few extras. Works very well (www.triumphtorque.com if you want a look).

5. hilldweller

As an aside, what joy to see the name Triumph so many times on screen on Sunday. That's very impressive for a tiny company in amongst the giant's who could buy Triumph out of their drinking water budget.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

A politician would say, "we have no plans to implement subscription at this time" :BigGrin:
    Should I start resenting the time I spend here then I might consider charging for it, The site covers its costs but only if my time is excluded. However my intention is that whilst it remains Fun and I enjoy it, then it will remain forever free. However Intentions are one thing and needs must another.

I agree, Google is King, presently they offer some great tools for free. maps, calendars, applications, mail, picture storage etc, but I think that most of this great functionality is merely minutes away from a monthly fee, and just as we find it indispensable.

Yes there will always be enthusiasts that start free forums. As for news; on the spot bloggers and those giving opinion will remain free, but IMO, quality well researched and written news will not be free for much longer, good journalism costs money.

Monetising Youtube was always going to be hard, just the thought of the bandwidth they use for youtube makes my eyes water. Would you pay to belong to you tube? I wouldn't so I suppose adverts are the only option. I don't think its greed, I doubt they will make a return on their youtube investment for quite a few years yet, its just business.

Adverts are a pain, we all hate them, I know a motorhome site that charges a subscription yet still bombards its customers with adverts:Smile: and yes I could switch adverts off for those for those that paid a subscription, but that would devalue the adverts for the advertiser,

The thing is with subscriptions, there are a hardcore of say 30 to 50 Funsters who buy everything the site produces to support the site, I am sure that these people would pay a subscription, but the vast majority would not, We've got 10,000 members but I sell about 30 stickers a year! and a journal or check-list is sold about once a week! Many people just do not like direct support, they think its a scam, or they resent someone if they think they are making a quid.

In some ways subscription would be great,
    I wouldn't have to find advertisers and mess with the site html, the site would be slicker without the adverts and maybe my time would be paid for, but, and its a BIG but, with subs, someone pays you a tenner and they think they own you:Smile: If something is broke, I'd better fix it quick, they are a "customer" all of a sudden and I'd feel even more obliged.

Nah, I kinda like things the way they are, the advertising is a small price to pay, and when you surf in on a dongle you can always have images turned off:Smile: If the advertising drys up then of course subscription might raise it's ugly head again.

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Good for you Jim and long may it continue as it is the best site around.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

8. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: A very big thank you Jim from a Hooligan :Smile:

9. hilldweller

It's just like a motorhome really one huge mass of compromises.

I must remember to turn images off. I've forgotten how to cope with 56Kb.

Would I pay for YouTube - what a good question - pass.

I have just paid Eurosport £38 for a year's subscription. Don't have Sky any more.

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

:BigGrin:

11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

As someone who really does struggle financially and a tenner might be nothing to others it can be two days' food to someone else ........ thank you Jim. I for one much appreciate your hard work.:Smile:

12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Excellent site, thanks Jim and all :thumb: At present with the time I spend onboard I would probably pay up even though I am a poor old pensioner :cry::cry:

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I can see both sides of the coin - I used to look after a microcar website, re-wrote it a few times over the years, but it got to be a real pain trying to get copy out of the committee etc so ended up writing loads of stuff for it myself. In the end my interest wained and I finally gave it up last November after goodness knows how many years! It has gone to a chap to look after who is still very much involved in the microcar scene so he's more than happy to get stuck in. The point I'm making here is that I don't think some people realise how much time it can take to look after a website and keep it fresh, having to update it after a hard day's work isn't fun I assure you, so hats off to Jim for the hard work he obviously does.

However, I don't actually agree with charging for 'forum' type sites. Why? Well, basically the vast majority of the content of the site is not owned by it - it is provided by the forum members and without them the site would not have any content - so why should the members pay for giving help and advice? If members want to support the forum provider by making 'donations' or buying regalia then so be it, but I feel it must be a choice, not a 'demand'. I think compulsory paid membership is detrimental.

I used to belong to a certain motorhome forum but when it went 'chargeable' after a while I decided it wasn't for me. Some of the members disappeared which to me at least was detrimental to the site as it reduced the knowledge base. Occasionally I may poke my nose in but as I'm not a paid up member, despite seeing postings on there asking for help/advice, I cannot give any which is a shame. I tend to help much more than I ask for help (honest I do! :Blush: ) and do so willingly, sometimes spending a lot of time in the process but if the only way you can help someone is to pay a fee then it doesn't make sense to me!:Eeek:

Just my thoughts, not saying they're right or wrong, just my musings!:RollEyes:

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree in principal and can also see both sides of the coin, however,

This is a well run forum, I fully appreciate the work Jim and Bryan do.. if it came to the crunch and for what ever reason Jim decided it was to become a fee paying site then I would pay, but I think it would as you say, be detrimental.

I paid on facts for two years, I certainly didn't leave to save ten quid a year.. less than 3p per day.

15. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I agree, I did not leave the dark side because of £10, it is irrelevent. I left because of the sarky know it alls who delighted in putting others down. If Jim decided a subricption was required then I would happily pay. This site is worth every penny because of the ethos. :BigGrin:

16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

OK OK time to stop all this now :Angry:

simple solution, those that want to pay can PM me and I will give you my paypal account. When you put it in I will use this money to take the kids out of school and jolly around europe for a while teaching them the meaning of life, (and searching myself) :Wink: I will of course report back at regular intervals telling you all how good the local booze is. I will of course give extreme value for money as I will post a question every now and then which will in turn help the site continue to run as interest will be there.
    The others who do not wish to pay can continue on the free version of fun.
    I await your PMs:coolthumb:

17. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Oooooooooooooooh. :Rofl1:

18. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

Exactly why I left, IMO also some of the mods became power crazed. Before it became a subs site I don't recall the above problem.

I used to own a training establishment that I turned into a club, where by students became members overnight, suddenly I had 70 or so people trying to be my boss.:Eeek:

However back to the dark side, bs (before subs) you could donate, without wishing to appear big headed but I donated several years of subs, which I was more than happy to do. Due to be new to m/hs and the money I had saved from the all the help I had received.

We could have a private donation system here, :thumb:

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Moderators are directly responsible for the degradation of many communities that they are supposed to promote! I'm not quite sure what happens, whether they start to compete and out-do each other, fall out with each other, argue about the rules,have favourite posters, I just don't know. But in my experience, the more moderators there are on a forum, the more moderators they need. :Smile:

20. robnchris

robnchris Funster

It`s amazing reading the mails on here to the wild farce, couldn`t believe how a supposed tight knit community split so easily.

Have to say that the Funster does have that family friendly feeling, hey thats the 4 F`s :BigGrin:
    And long may it continue, Jim and Brian Tip Top.:thumb: