Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's the MH dealer's arrogant attitude that bugs me more than the sum involved.

If he's as big a company as he makes out he can afford to admit his mistakes, lose a few tenners on the transaction, and pay closer attention to detail next time.

I'm just a humble eBay trader, but if I overquote for postage I refund the difference, and if I underquote that's my fault and my loss. Not in the same ball park money-wise I know but nobody's too big or too small to trade with principles.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's the MH dealer's arrogant attitude that bugs me more than the sum involved.

If he's as big a company as he makes out he can afford to admit his mistakes, lose a few tenners on the transaction, and pay closer attention to detail next time.

I'm just a humble eBay trader, but if I overquote for postage I refund the difference, and if I underquote that's my fault and my loss. Not in the same ball park money-wise I know but nobody's too big or too small to trade with principles.

What arrogant attitude? What mistakes? we simply don't know and that was the point of my post.

It may not have been a mistake! To be fair the OP was quite "bullish" about naming the dealer, but hasn't

Hence my post suggesting that posts like this are frustration and pit people against each other without any facts what so ever.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
it's a very small amount for such a big fuss:wooo: as geo has sad watt's the the witch hunt about if it was a extra £300 it might have been worth the bother just go somewhere deferent next time
go have a pint and chill
bill

Where are you coming from Bill?, it's NOT a small amount, bear in mind the extra £70 is on an original quote of £150 Labour...., that's damn near an extra 50%:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Glad that they dropped the price to the original quote for you - money is money & it may as well be in your pocket.

If they quoted they should stick to it & they know that. It's only time - they are paying the wages anyway whether someone is standing idle or fixing a vehicle - I'm sure they still made a profit & if not, it's good PR for them to take a small hit & put it down to experience.

Dot

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
There appears to be a few rich people on here, perhaps some others like I am are on a limited income/ pension, , before anyone else starts on that one, the Pension is NOT a benefit, some with sour grapes will say it is that is their problem.

I do get annoyed when certain pps who seem to have open wallets, criticise others who may not, wonder when it comes to it, do they pay out regardless, in my experience no they don't.

Some of us has to budget with what we have, yes we may have a MH doesn`t mean we are made of money. That £70 would pay for some diesel or perhaps something else that needs to be paid for.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There appears to be a few rich people on here, perhaps some others like I am are on a limited income/ pension, , before anyone else starts on that one, the Pension is NOT a benefit, some with sour grapes will say it is that is their problem.

I think you'll find in any group there will be varying income groups, it should have nothing to do with forum discussion though.

I do get annoyed when certain pps who seem to have open wallets, criticise others who may not, wonder when it comes to it, do they pay out regardless, in my experience no they don't.

I don't think that any one has criticised any one for not having an open wallet. The only comment that I have seen is that for a post titled "Fuming to say the least" which when is boils down to it is a poster quoted a figure which she ended up paying.

No one knows any more than that. Yet everyone is getting their knickers in a twist, and 73 year old women are being sent to work to pay for their daughters motorhome, Pensions are sour grapes and a great rich and poor divide! Its all funny really if you re-read all the posts.

Some of us has to budget with what we have, yes we may have a MH doesn`t mean we are made of money. That £70 would pay for some diesel or perhaps something else that needs to be paid for.
What £70? The £70 that wasn't paid? No one knows except the dealer why the job went pear shaped, if indeed it did. However, the quote was honoured so the OP was not out of pocket.

As for budgeting? surely everyone have to, irrespective of whether you own a motorhome or not. There is always something that needs paying for :cry:

As per my previous post I think that these threads are all stuff and nonsense.

I think that the best way to proceed if your going to complain about poor service, is to come clean. Explain everything, naming the parties involved. If you want support on a public forum, its worthless unless everyone is aware of all the facts. This also gives the other party chance to explain..

If your uneasy about posting while a argument is ongoing, wait until it is resolved. Once it is resolved you can sing like a canary. Some say that they post for advice! Taking legal advice off of a bunch of on line "friends" is a dodgy thing at best and there are plenty of avenues to turn to for legal advice.

If you don't disclose you end up getting opinions that will ebb and flow. Who remembers a poster a while ago moaning and groaning about a dealer who had knocked several grand off the agreed part exchange. This led to howls of "all dealers are bastards" and "hang them all"

The dealer incensed by this them posted the pictures of the motorhome described as immaculate by the owner when the part exchange was discussed, only for all of the posters to swing opinion to the dealers side and point of view:RollEyes:

Funny things forums

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Eddie - this was the OP:
We put our (new to us) MH into the local repair centre with whom we gave business to last year when we had an awning fitted....Anyway after a recent discussion with them at the SEC we went ahead and gave them our MH to have a twin reversing camera fitted. The reversing camera cost £170 and we were quoted approx. £150 to fit. The garage has just been on the phone to say its fitted but costs £400...wait for it...with them taking a hit cause labour was much longer than they anticipated. Was more or less told they are a big company so really don't need my business...What happened to "The customer IS your business"

Shouldn't they have advised beforehand....I know they are members here so hope we maybe both take..if necessary something from your replies.

It gives the case as to why they are clearly unhappy, but the OP did NOT name the garage which I think is fair enough, if they want to respond as 'members' and give their side then they can and also let others 'see' who they are ... but I doubt they will! Having had this sort of attitude myself from garages in the past (a certain 'big' one especially, I can assure you it DOES happen ... it may be in the minority but it does. Not everyone gives good customer care unfortunately and for them to ring up and tell a customer the above, especially in the way that they did, is well out of order and not something you would do from what you say which I believe ... so why can you NOT believe the OP's version of events?

As for your comment about MH dealers being b*stards ... yes, I think some posters do go OTT BUT that is THEIR opinion and it is often countered by other posters' opposite views ... they are all entitled to their views, just as you are entitled to yours. :Smile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Mel B This was the OP

Oh don't you worry, I can assure you I will name and shame 2mor after I have it out with him 2mor and get our MH back. Maybe some people think cos its female they are dealing with then they are easily pushed over...not me, game on!

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie - this was the OP:

It gives the case as to why they are clearly unhappy, but the OP did NOT name the garage which I think is fair enough, if they want to respond as 'members' and give their side then they can and also let others 'see' who they are ... but I doubt they will! Having had this sort of attitude myself from garages in the past (a certain 'big' one especially, I can assure you it DOES happen ... it may be in the minority but it does. Not everyone gives good customer care unfortunately and for them to ring up and tell a customer the above, especially in the way that they did, is well out of order and not something you would do from what you say which I believe ... so why can you NOT believe the OP's version of events?

As for your comment about MH dealers being b*stards ... yes, I think some posters do go OTT BUT that is THEIR opinion and it is often countered by other posters' opposite views ... they are all entitled to their views, just as you are entitled to yours. :Smile:

I didn't say that I didn't believe the OP:- All I said was that we don't any facts to make an "informed" opinion, one worthy of everyone arguing about.

In life there are people who are convinced that they see ghosts. If you don't believe in ghosts, and you and talk to some one who is convinced they see them, you wouldn't call them a liar as that is what they truly believe happens, their version of events, their perspective on a situation.

Doesn't make it true though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mel B This was the OP

Originally Posted by irnbru
Oh don't you worry, I can assure you I will name and shame 2mor after I have it out with him 2mor and get our MH back. Maybe some people think cos its female they are dealing with then they are easily pushed over...not me, game on!

That was BEFORE the OP knew that she would NOT have to pay the extra money ... however in the end she has played fair by NOT naming them as she has managed to get it sorted out without having to fork out the extra money. Now if she HAD still gone ahead and given their name I could understand you being unhappy ... but she hasn't! :RollEyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I didn't say that I didn't believe the OP:- All I said was that we don't any facts to make an "informed" opinion, one worthy of everyone arguing about.

In life there are people who are convinced that they see ghosts. If you don't believe in ghosts, and you and talk to some one who is convinced they see them, you wouldn't call them a liar as that is what they truly believe happens, their version of events, their perspective on a situation.

Doesn't make it true though!

... and it doesn't make it untrue either! :RollEyes:

You have the facts from the OPs perspective, the garage has NOT given their side but as members they could but it appears on the face of it have chosen not to ... that is up to them. However, what cannot be disputed is that the garage rang up to tell the customer AFTER THE JOB WAS DONE that she HAD to pay another £70 in labour charges ... that is just plain wrong, regardless of how 'nicely' it may have been said (or not!) ... just totally wrong.

This is a forum, a place for conversation, and as such I regard it the same as if I was down at the pub chatting to mates - people say things, often over-egging as that is human nature, hence why some of the comments are possibly more 'heightened' than you like, but so what? The more postings on a thread then the more 'balance' you tend to get as other people's opinions are then given.

I could say more but there's no point as the OP has now got the work done, and has paid what was agreed (apparently) from the outset ... it is just a shame that the garage didn't honour the quote from the outset then instead of this 'negative' thread we'd probably be having a very POSITIVE one about their great customer service instead! :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That was BEFORE the OP knew that she would NOT have to pay the extra money ... however in the end she has played fair by NOT naming them as she has managed to get it sorted out without having to fork out the extra money. Now if she HAD still gone ahead and given their name I could understand you being unhappy ... but she hasn't! :RollEyes:

As a by the by, and purely from a personal point of view, I would STILL name the company as it may save other members some grief at a later date.

It is rare I stand agin the dealers on this 'ere forum, but come on lads..
What happened was completely unprofessional no matter how you look at it.

At worst the company should have told the customer of the extra costs before continuing*, at best they should have swallowed and chalked it up as a bad one and moved on.

I do see the issue here..
They started the job, and could hardly bail on it half way through..

But with that in mind, surely the more professional attitude ( and I have absolutely NO doubt the one taken by the dealers on here ) would have been to swallow.. Whinge a bit, yes, let the customer know what a total bargain they got, yes.. But not present a customer with a fait accompli and accompanying bill !!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But it wont affect the garage at all as they haven't been named, but it could affect another funster, should they use the garage that is alledged to have overcharged, IF indeed the situation did pan out the way that it was posted. None of us know.

I didn't comment one way or another, my first post was after the situation seemed to be resolved, stating that these posts tend to be in the main, frustrating and joyless:-

As the garage is a funster, the question of repeat business is probably academic as I doubt that they would undertake any additional work for the OP.

Personally I think that the posts title, a little over reaction, given that she was unaware of the outcome.

Perhaps sometimes, posts should be made after the business has been transacted. This would avoid lots of helpful. But inaccurate "advice" posts and howls for name and shame, when sometimes there is no "shame" or blame.

Personally these are the type of posts that I like the least on Fun. Only one side of the story, no name, so an inability to form an opinion influenced on reputation ( if I read that Gazza had been found drunk, I wouldn't question it, but if I was told that the pope was pissed I'd want to question the source for example).

These posts also tend to polarise members, who then take "sides" with sometimes the OP left feeling upset.

This is Motorhome FUN after all:thumb:

I remain with my opinion when I read a post, that if a complainant is dissatisfied with the service from a company, if they've had the courage of their conviction to publish the details, that the validity of such a post carries more weight with me.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I find with all estimates, I win on most and loose on some.
I never charge extra.
I could not put up with the ear ache:cry:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I don't know how to copy and paste but no "Eddie" I do not send my 73 year old mother out to work for MY M/H . It is not mine its hers and she chooses to work to fund it and saves for whatever she likes. Yes I mostly drive it and can use it whenever I please but I will not stand by and see her being ripped off. Like others have said before we don't all have money to throw away willy nilly...

No I never named the company as I had it resolved but they know I have posted so can easily respond. They have so far chosen not to.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But it wont affect the garage at all as they haven't been named, but it could affect another funster, should they use the garage that is alledged to have overcharged, IF indeed the situation did pan out the way that it was posted. None of us know.
Eddie, the OP is probably too polite to say this, but you are basically saying in a round about way that you do NOT believe her! :Eeek:

Now I don't know the OP and I don't know you either, but I have no reason to doubt anything that either of you state on here ... but taking your statement into account, instead should I disbelieve everything that you, she and everyone else says until I have firm proof? I would rather BELIEVE what is said by forum members unless it is shown to be otherwise ... if I can't have some trust in what is being said then what is the point of a forum in the first place ....?:Sad:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Eddie, the OP is probably too polite to say this, but you are basically saying in a round about way that you do NOT believe her! :Eeek:

Now I don't know the OP and I don't know you either, but I have no reason to doubt anything that either of you state on here ... but taking your statement into account, instead should I disbelieve everything that you, she and everyone else says until I have firm proof? I would rather BELIEVE what is said by forum members unless it is shown to be otherwise ... if I can't have some trust in what is being said then what is the point of a forum in the first place ....?:Sad:

Yes you are spot on. At the end of the day I have stated FACTS and if some want to disbelieve then that is their perogative to do so, just like its mine to voice my feelings. Where would the world be if we all agreed. At the end of the day its each to their own.

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I Don't normally post on here as I have an RV but I found this post interesting WHAT if the lady had posted after the event i.e got the inflated bill then gone to see the garage give here view then the garage said ok leave it at the original price would she not of then said what a great garage they are they made a mistake but stood by there first price ?
or am I just being dumb

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I haven't said I don't believe her, nor have I said that I do believe her.

I have said, that I don't like this type of post that pits, one Funster against another.

As I have reposted my post, my only original real comment on the thread was that I thought that the posts title was a "little bit of a over reaction"

Again though as I have said such posts tend be polarise opinion which is unfortunate.

I am also very glad that the OP ended up with the deal that she originally wanted.

Personally I always feel the best solution to avoid such issues from a business and professional position is to always give a written quote. We (Van Bitz) some times have to give a guideline, which we cap. This is sometimes because the customer lives miles away and it is simply not logistical to see the motorhome in advance. EG: It will take between four to six hours to install your "XYZ" If it takes three hours, you pay for three hours, if it's five hours you pay for five If it is eight hours, you only pay the "capped" six hours.

Most people feel that this is fair when a firm quotation cannot be given.

This is another reason why we have fixed pricing for certain items, cameras being one. We charge £200 irrespective of the camera/monitor type. Some times the installation is very easy, other times the installation can be challenging, but a fixed £200 means that everyone knows where they are up front.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno and cannot speak for anyone else, but if it had happened to me I certainly would not say what a great garage blah blah blah,, I would say the same as was said, and worse, as the garage in question backed down so knew full well they had messed up ( purely a personal opinion you understand )

As I said before, it is my opinion ( as someone who works in a similar / parallel profession ) the garage should have just sucked it up and accepted they made a mistake.. They have now possibly lost a customer, certainly upset a customer, and have not behaved in either a professional or honorable way. ( and again I stress this is purely my opinion.. nothing more or less )

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Hi Irnbru - just want to say that I agree with your decision not to name the garage :) I think it would be surly to do so now that it has all been resolved. It has taught them a lesson that they should have honoured their word in the 1st place & hopefully in the future that's what they will do. Everyone makes mistakes & they've backed down & recognised this. It's tough running a business & no-one needs their reputation ruined - I'm sure that's not what this forum is about.

Everyone is happy now & we'll all sleep well tonight :)

Dot

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Irnbru - just want to say that I agree with your decision not to name the garage :) I think it would be surly to do so now that it has all been resolved. It has taught them a lesson that they should have honoured their word in the 1st place & hopefully in the future that's what they will do. Everyone makes mistakes & they've backed down & recognised this. It's tough running a business & no-one needs their reputation ruined - I'm sure that's not what this forum is about.

Everyone is happy now & we'll all sleep well tonight :)

Dot[/QUOHTE] 110 percent
And amen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back