Fully automatic satellite v "Crank Up"

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by MHVirgins, Sep 20, 2011.

1. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We are looking to purchase a satellite system, but not sure whether to go for a fully automatic or a "crank-up" system. However, we have heard that the "crank-up" system can be affected by "wind"!!:Laughing:
    Has anyone experienced "wind" problems if they have the "crank-up" system?
    I mean "wind" from outside the van:BigGrin: Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!:thumb:

2. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

:Eek!: oyster system is the best but not cheap,ive had mine for 10 years and no probs at all ,the best people to talk to are these people
    www.[B]oystersat[/B]-tech.co.uk/ service is 5 star :thumb::thumb:

3. laneside

laneside Funster

Unless they have improved the braking system then yes the crank-up moves around in the wind and to be fair unless it was me that was nervous the Oyster always felt as if it would. I did like my oyster though

4. ubuntu1

ubuntu1 Read Only Funster

Sat dishes

If you go for something like the Camos flat dish it will stay where it is and can be used when auto systems have to be taken down because of the wind.

I would say think about your budget first. The Camos flat system (& others) can be up and running just as quick as a fully auto system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

We've had a crankup for over 2 years now. All opn dish satellites will be affected by high winds, although we've never had ours move round (except when I've forgotten to put the brake thing on :Blush:).

We did have an episode in extremely high winds in the South of France. There was something we really wanted to watch which made me keep it up in winds I would have normally brought it down. There was a sudden "grrrrrccccchhhhh" sound, and the wind had blown it down against the ratchet. The cranking mechanism didn't work then, so I had to stand on the dinette seat, with my body out of the Heki rooflight, and unbolt the dish from the arm.

Long story short, and it was fixed the next day, and it's still working now, a year later (and it's been transferred to the new van).

Putting the dish up and locking on to the signal takes between 20 seconds and a minute. If I were to move to an automatic dish, I'd go for a dome.

Gerald

• Like Like x 1
  6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have had a Maxview crank up which was very easy to use but in strong winds could be a problem.
    I have also had an Oyster which worked well but occasionally could not lock on. A large dish in very strong winds I always felt uneasy with.
    I now have a Neta dome , no problem, always locks on quickly and no worries in the wind or when leaving site.

7. robnchris

robnchris Funster

crank up

Hi, we had a Camos crank up fitted to our last motorhome and didn`t have any trouble with it at all.
    Camos do 2 sizes, a 40cm dish and a 56.5 cm dish, the 40cm has the effective performance of a 50cm dish and the 56.5cm has the performance of a 65cm dish.
    So being small they don`t catch the wind anywhere as much as a bigger dish.
    Really simple to find a signal used with an inline Zehnder satellite finder, to give a perfect picture.

The obvious difference is the price, the camos cost around £370 the automatic systems anywhere fro £1600 to £2.500.

We have heard the auto system sometime struggle to find a picture as they have a memory and go to the last postion were they found one, we have seen them whizzing around looking.

So a simple sum, depends how much you want to spend.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

9. tommytli

tommytli Funster

we have a camos dome, worked all way through europe, we lost 1 2 3 4 5 around southern baveria but the rest of sky tv was on, and my mrs can watch tv in high winds :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

It is all about how much you want to spend.
    A good auto is great............I stop "on the road" for a break to make a cup of tea
    and it takes 1 minute with my TracVision dome to be watching
    the news.....or a sporting event.

I think domes are the way forward.

barry

11. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

• Like Like x 1
  12. Les

Les Funster

We have TracVision dome easy set up also after set up you can turn of power and it still works,I think other dishes have to have power when working or they shut down flat.

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Having had both no problems at all with the crank up, even in strong winds it stayed put (same as ScotJims ) A couple of failures in about 3 years with the auto system, I personally would not pay the outlay for a fully auto, this one I have now came with the Rv
    If i were to lash out the cash it would without question be a domed version
    Thing to remember about auto systems is they are after all mini computors, and work in a very logical fashion, for instance if the system has a look in last location program, it will look for the last place it found the sat. you may have moved, but the satalite is still where it was last time it looked:thumb:
    if due to trees etc it cant find it, you may get impatiant and tell it via your remote control to find Astra 2
    it already knew where it was and your asking it to re find it, so logicly it thinks the satelite cant be where it last was, so it will go looking every where except where it last saw it, because you asked it to look again:Doh:
    Hence the round and round scenario
    If its auto let it do its job if it cant find a sat just maybe other external reasons ma be the cause,
    just like a pc when it gets confused (due to human interferance) pull the power plug to wipe its memory and chance are it will log on again ok:thumb:
    Hope some of that makes sense:RollEyes:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

We have a NETA dome

We had a NETA dome satellite system fitted by VanBitz just over 2 years ago.. other than a issue in a join in the cable oon tthe roof the system has been fine. Self seeking and wind does not cause us any problems at all.

recommend

Bob:Eeek::Eeek:

15. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi we have the globesat dish had it a couple of years now and never moved in the wind just type globesat into google and you will see pic of it. The lnb is inside the dish.
    We had ours fitted in the same space as the status aerial was.

If your in Dumfries some time your welcome to come and have alook.

Gerry

16. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

Had a camos dome on the first van transferd to the second and still going strong after five years never had an issue and has worked in places i would have never believed northern Scotland, southern Italy etc, :thumb:

17. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Another benefit of a dome is it is very discreet when wild camping ( not camping on a site )
    doesnt signal you've settled down for the night.

barry

18. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

To be honest if i were starting again i would not have anything eles other than a dome but thats just me i cant think of a disadvantage to them unless any one eles can but at the end of the day you pay your money you make your choice Gray.

19. madbluemad

madbluemad

I coudnt justify the cost of an automatic dish such as the Oyster etc. I have a Camos Flat Sat Plus which has never been affected by the wind.
    Jim
    :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Movin' on

Movin' on Read Only Funster

We have a Camos 40cm dome and we can get a signal for british T.V. as far south as northern Spain and as far north as N.E. Scotland. Only have problem if its' view is blocked by trees or buildings. We found it to be very reliable!
    Adrian.