Fully automatic satellite v "Crank Up" (1 Viewer)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are looking to purchase a satellite system, but not sure whether to go for a fully automatic or a "crank-up" system. However, we have heard that the "crank-up" system can be affected by "wind"!!:roflmto:
Has anyone experienced "wind" problems if they have the "crank-up" system?
I mean "wind" from outside the van::bigsmile: Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Unless they have improved the braking system then yes the crank-up moves around in the wind and to be fair unless it was me that was nervous the Oyster always felt as if it would. I did like my oyster though

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Sat dishes

If you go for something like the Camos flat dish it will stay where it is and can be used when auto systems have to be taken down because of the wind.

I would say think about your budget first. The Camos flat system (& others) can be up and running just as quick as a fully auto system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
We've had a crankup for over 2 years now. All opn dish satellites will be affected by high winds, although we've never had ours move round (except when I've forgotten to put the brake thing on :Blush:).

We did have an episode in extremely high winds in the South of France. There was something we really wanted to watch which made me keep it up in winds I would have normally brought it down. There was a sudden "grrrrrccccchhhhh" sound, and the wind had blown it down against the ratchet. The cranking mechanism didn't work then, so I had to stand on the dinette seat, with my body out of the Heki rooflight, and unbolt the dish from the arm.

Long story short, and it was fixed the next day, and it's still working now, a year later (and it's been transferred to the new van).

Putting the dish up and locking on to the signal takes between 20 seconds and a minute. If I were to move to an automatic dish, I'd go for a dome.

Gerald

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have had a Maxview crank up which was very easy to use but in strong winds could be a problem.
I have also had an Oyster which worked well but occasionally could not lock on. A large dish in very strong winds I always felt uneasy with.
I now have a Neta dome , no problem, always locks on quickly and no worries in the wind or when leaving site.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
crank up

Hi, we had a Camos crank up fitted to our last motorhome and didn`t have any trouble with it at all.
Camos do 2 sizes, a 40cm dish and a 56.5 cm dish, the 40cm has the effective performance of a 50cm dish and the 56.5cm has the performance of a 65cm dish.
So being small they don`t catch the wind anywhere as much as a bigger dish.
Really simple to find a signal used with an inline Zehnder satellite finder, to give a perfect picture.

The obvious difference is the price, the camos cost around £370 the automatic systems anywhere fro £1600 to £2.500.

We have heard the auto system sometime struggle to find a picture as they have a memory and go to the last postion were they found one, we have seen them whizzing around looking.

So a simple sum, depends how much you want to spend.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A long thread here about my experience with a Maxview crank up in 2007 Link Removed

I wouldn't buy another..

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we have a camos dome, worked all way through europe, we lost 1 2 3 4 5 around southern baveria but the rest of sky tv was on, and my mrs can watch tv in high winds :winky:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
It is all about how much you want to spend.
A good auto is great............I stop "on the road" for a break to make a cup of tea
and it takes 1 minute with my TracVision dome to be watching
the news.....or a sporting event.

I think domes are the way forward.

barry

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
We have TracVision dome easy set up also after set up you can turn of power and it still works,I think other dishes have to have power when working or they shut down flat.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having had both no problems at all with the crank up, even in strong winds it stayed put (same as ScotJims ) A couple of failures in about 3 years with the auto system, I personally would not pay the outlay for a fully auto, this one I have now came with the Rv
If i were to lash out the cash it would without question be a domed version
Thing to remember about auto systems is they are after all mini computors, and work in a very logical fashion, for instance if the system has a look in last location program, it will look for the last place it found the sat. you may have moved, but the satalite is still where it was last time it looked:thumb:
if due to trees etc it cant find it, you may get impatiant and tell it via your remote control to find Astra 2
it already knew where it was and your asking it to re find it, so logicly it thinks the satelite cant be where it last was, so it will go looking every where except where it last saw it, because you asked it to look again:Doh:
Hence the round and round scenario
If its auto let it do its job if it cant find a sat just maybe other external reasons ma be the cause,
just like a pc when it gets confused (due to human interferance) pull the power plug to wipe its memory and chance are it will log on again ok:thumb:
Hope some of that makes sense:RollEyes:
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We have a NETA dome

We had a NETA dome satellite system fitted by VanBitz just over 2 years ago.. other than a issue in a join in the cable oon tthe roof the system has been fine. Self seeking and wind does not cause us any problems at all.

recommend

Bob:Eeek::Eeek:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we have the globesat dish had it a couple of years now and never moved in the wind just type globesat into google and you will see pic of it. The lnb is inside the dish.
We had ours fitted in the same space as the status aerial was.

If your in Dumfries some time your welcome to come and have alook.

Gerry

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Had a camos dome on the first van transferd to the second and still going strong after five years never had an issue and has worked in places i would have never believed northern Scotland, southern Italy etc, :thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Another benefit of a dome is it is very discreet when wild camping ( not camping on a site )
doesnt signal you've settled down for the night.

barry

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
To be honest if i were starting again i would not have anything eles other than a dome but thats just me i cant think of a disadvantage to them unless any one eles can but at the end of the day you pay your money you make your choice Gray.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I coudnt justify the cost of an automatic dish such as the Oyster etc. I have a Camos Flat Sat Plus which has never been affected by the wind.
Jim
:Smile:

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
We have a Camos 40cm dome and we can get a signal for british T.V. as far south as northern Spain and as far north as N.E. Scotland. Only have problem if its' view is blocked by trees or buildings. We found it to be very reliable!
Adrian.

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
Didn,t crank my crank up down its now more of a floppy disc ,will still work with the mrs stood onthe roof holding it but she moans that her arms ache ,gets wet ,too hot, too cold etc, so going to have to buy new gearbox unless someone has one for a maxview

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Many thanks for advice!

Hi!
Just wanted to say a very big "thank you" to everyone who gave us advice on the "Crank-up" satellite systems the other day.
Hopefully we will have made a decision before too long........... thanks to you all for taking the time to reply to us!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back