fulltiming on a narrow boat

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Adria 5, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Adria 5

Adria 5 Read Only Funster

hi Something that has never crossed my mind living near to the grand union canal

similar to motorhomes but on water ......... worth a read
    http://www.trevorpavitt.co.uk/

RAY

2. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

If flooding is going to get worse in this country, then it might be more water tight than a Motorhome.:Wink:

3. Adria 5

Adria 5 Read Only Funster

hi a picture recently peacefull isnt it

ray

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Looks great but I think I'd miss my slideouts! :Laughing:

5. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Looks good BUT what happens when you want to go "over there" and there isn't a canal???? Much too restrictive for my wandering spirit!!!!

Marie
    :Rofl1:

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The biggest down side to boating i found, is that it,
    A. takes a week to get an hours drive away
    B. takes another week to get back
    c. you can only travel the same bit of canal or river so many times before you go stir crazy
    Apart from those few considerations the water is a very nice place to play and relax
    Geo

7. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

I've been thinking this one over and I have a solution.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

AND:cry:
    36 foot power boat at a guess:Rofl1:
    just remember the canal and river speed limits
    Geo

9. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

What about one of these......not exactly narrow but at least its got slides! :Rofl1:

Oh and Steve...... Winnebago did try something like that but it didn't "take off" :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  10. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

You might get stuck in a lock:cry:

11. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

exactly how we found it when we had one, you need a lot of time to get anywhere and when your restricted to a few weeks it gets a bit tedious. best thing about it is getting merry while your cruising along:Laughing:having said that my mate got done on lake windemere drunk in charge of a boat:Eeek:

12. American Dream

DODGE ARV (Amphibious Recreation Vehicle).

Attached Files:

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Built me own

[​IMG]

14. American Dream

Looks a bit underpowered there GEO. Needs a big V8 on the back, or the front.:BigGrin:

[​IMG]

15. Enodreven

Enodreven Deleted User

Hi,

We have had our Narrow boat for approximately 14 years and while we try to use it as much as we can and that includes the winter when the canals are frozen, I really don't think we would like to live in it full time. Albeit there are more and more people doing it as if you can get a residential mooring near to where you work its probably a cheap option against a flat, but most of the residential in fact all moorings are becoming very difficult to find and like everything when its in short supply the prices rise.

Information that may be useful

47 foot Narrow Boat Approximate costs

Licence £420
    Insurance £150
    Moorings £1200 - £2000
    Maintenance Blacking 2 yearly £350
    BSS test every 4 years £250

These are approximate figures, and then there is your general upkeep like stopping the rust/painting and servicing the engine etc probably another £200-300

So while its not cheap as a hobby, if you went full timing it would be a lot cheaper than a flat ?

You can reduce the mooring fees actually remove them altogether if you do what they call continuous cruising, this involves moving the boat to a different spot every 14 days and the different spot has to be a required distance away you can't just keep moving a few yards or just keep returning they have a set of rules to govern it, a lot of people who have started full timing do chose this option as the savings are quiet substantial ? albeit i don't think i would do it by choice ?

The canals are great and you don't get bored if you have the time you can travel of hundreds of miles, don't quote me but I think there are 3000 to 4000 miles of inland waterways, and there are always rallies/meets/festivals all over the country

Hope that helps, I have attached a picture of our boat but it dosen't appear to be showing ?? don't quiet know what has gone wrong

Brian

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. American Dream

Sounds great. How do you keep it secure when you're not using/living in it?

Steve

17. Enodreven

Enodreven Deleted User

Hi,

We actually moor on a sheep farm at the top of a flight of locks on the Oxford Canal, at a village called Napton On The Hill, its approximately 2 miles from Southam, and between 8-10 miles from Rugby, Coventry or Lemington Spa, so it is quiet out of the way.

Albeit you do get a lot of holiday makers either on hire boats or staying on the farms campsite, we have never really had a problem with security (hope that dosen't temp fate).

The actual spot where we moor has really great view over a valley to towards the village and on top the the opposite hill there is a large windmill, on a sunny day (if we ever get one) it really is a beautiful place to be.

We actually purchase the boat as an empty shell with no engine, stern tube or anything and then fitted every thing ourselves, albeit it is getting a bit dated now its still quiet functional

Brian

Attached Files:

18. American Dream

Sounds bliss to me.
    I love the life on the water.Waking up on a still misty morning. And a windmill as well! :coolthumb:

Love the pics.

19. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

Hi Brian

Its something Ive looked at - but, Im 6'3" and feel I would be ducking all the time (especially as the walls appear to slope inward).

Are there boats now which have higher ceilings/roofs ?

Im told Im getting closer to 6'3" wide too so would I struggle with the coridor as well?

Cheers
    Paul

20. Enodreven

Enodreven Deleted User

Hi,

It really depends on how its fitted out, I am 6ft 1in and weigh 100kg, head room is no problem so i don't think you would have a problem in my boat, but i do know of quiet a few boats where the main head room is limited to about 6ft 2 ish, the main problems are always the entrance and exit doors as from the deck level you go down at least 2-3 feet so the door heights are low but once you are inside there really is no problem, the passageways are always narrow and you really do need to turn slightly sideways unless you are really thin, this is to maximise the usable space say in the shower room or make the bed as wide as possible.

Inside measurement below the gunnel's (that's the walking ledge along the side of the boat) is approx 6ft 8/10inch before insulation so probably ends up at about 6ft 4in internal as the boat width is around 7ft externally to fit in the single locks, you can get wider boats but then you are limited to what canals you can use ? and it becomes quiet restrictive. Above the gunnel's the boats do taper i have never measured it at the roof line but i would think it reduces to about 5ft 10ish, but it really dosen't feel tight,

Brian