Full Timing (1 Viewer)

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
:thumb:Hiya everone, my wife and i are soon to be full timing , spending 6 to 8 months abroad, mainly in France & Spain. We have already had two trips to Spain totalling 8 months. I have recently found out that my RAC cover via Camping & Caravanning Club only covers me abroad for 90 days on any one trip. Has anyone else had this problem &if so can you recomend a good insurance company/breakdown recovery service for a 32ft RV. You're help would be appreciated. Regards Peter & Juidith.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Pete,

Honest Fulltimers do have a problem with regard to insurance, tell insurers the truth and they just don't (or don't want to) understand the concept. If you don't tell them you are essentially committing fraud. You would be better to say "extended touring" rather than the term "full timing"

Rock and a hard place, come to mind.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Hi Pete,
Honest Fulltimers do have a problem with regard to insurance, tell insurers the truth and they just don't (or don't want to) understand the concept. If you don't tell them you are essentially committing fraud. You would be better to say "extended touring" rather than the term "full timing" Rock and a hard place, come to mind.

I think that is a bit off the wall, Jim. There are several companies who will give 365 day European cover - we use Saga for one. You do have to shop around but it isn't really that difficult as long as you retain a UK address.
Patrick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Peter

As an ex fulltimer I agree with Jim ... if you mention the words "full time" you will have all sorts of problems with insurance and breakdown cover, not to mention passports, driving licence, VED, etc etc etc

If you are a proper full timer you better not tell anyone, use a relatives address and hope the insurance company and the big brother don't find out..

I had both 365 EU Insurance and breakdown cover by using a friend address, but after three years of ducking and diving and telling porkies, we decided it wasn't for us.

If you are only touring, albeit extended, it's no problem, your not full timing as you still have your UK home address..

Perhaps you can clarify

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I just don't see the problem.
If you have a UK address and you pay your taxes from that address. You can be sent mail at that address, there is nothing to say you ever have to be physically present at that address. This does not involve any "porkies" or hiding things. It is quite legal.
I agree that the use of the term "fulltiming" is asking for queries and trouble.
We are quite up-front about the fact that we are out of the country about 10 months of the year and not likely to be physically at our UK address for the other 2 months.
We are on the electoral roll in the UK. Our bank details are based on the UK address. We have UK passports and qualify as residents of the UK.
Where you can get into difficulties is if you take up residence in another country for more than 6 months because that country will require you, officially to take up residency there. All else is plain sailing IMHO.
Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think that is a bit off the wall, Jim. There are several companies who will give 365 day European cover - we use Saga for one. You do have to shop around but it isn't really that difficult as long as you retain a UK address.
Patrick

SAGA will not insure American RVs unless they have changed in thier policy in the last year.

Dave

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
then we agree, if your not full time it's not a problem ...
I suspect we do agree, Jim, except I suspect we differ on the definition of "fulltime".
Would I be right in guessing you are including not having a registered base address anywhere other than the van wherever it may be?
Would you call people like me who retain the trappings of a permanent UK address as "longtermers" rather than "fulltimers".
I would be happy with that distinction and it would make sense of some of the alternate views on this and other threads.
We will have to promote the terminology...:winky:
Patrick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suspect we do agree, Jim, except I suspect we differ on the definition of "fulltime".
Would I be right in guessing you are including not having a registered base address anywhere other than the van wherever it may be?
Would you call people like me who retain the trappings of a permanent UK address as "longtermers" rather than "fulltimers".
I would be happy with that distinction and it would make sense of some of the alternate views on this and other threads.
We will have to promote the terminology...:winky:
Patrick

Absolutely Patrick ... :thumb: the reason I asked Peter to clarify

Full time means exactly that .. no bricks and mortar .. no UK address, living in a motorhome or caravan.

Longtermers is a good way to describe people like yourself who go away for many months but retain their UK base

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We are with Safeguard and through them the AA . I am not sure about the AAs limitation on length of stay abroad but we used them in Belgium and the service was brilliant. In fact it was so good it was almost over the top ! We were never asked how long we had been out of the UK . We were in a 35 foot RV

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I just don't see the problem.
If you have a UK address and you pay your taxes from that address. You can be sent mail at that address, there is nothing to say you ever have to be physically present at that address. This does not involve any "porkies" or hiding things. It is quite legal.
I agree that the use of the term "fulltiming" is asking for queries and trouble.
We are quite up-front about the fact that we are out of the country about 10 months of the year and not likely to be physically at our UK address for the other 2 months.
We are on the electoral roll in the UK. Our bank details are based on the UK address. We have UK passports and qualify as residents of the UK.
I suppose if you actually do own a property in the UK which is your residential address as given on the electoral roll, and are fortunate enough to be able to afford to leave that property empty 365 days of the year, then you would expect there would not be a problem......excepting the fact that in reality it cannot possibly be your residential address as you are not really living there, IF you are fulltiming in the truest sense.

It would also be questionable as to the validity of the replies given on the electoral form when stating the number of persons living within that property, when in actual fact nobody is living there at all!

Another issue which I only recently learnt about through reading a post on a similar thread regarding fulltiming, is Buildings and Contents insurance. Apparently some companies will only agree cover on an empty property up to a maximum of six months.

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
Full timing.

H ello everone, thank you for all your comments , very much appreciated. We are in the process of selling our house so we can travel abroad for 7 to 8 mths and return to GB for the rest of the year. We have family in Lancashire & Devon so we can register ourselves at either address. When we sell our house , do we tell the insurance co that we have moved to our sons address i.e in Lancs or what? I don't fully understand what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards Peter & Judith.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Pete

Don't worry, you will be ok and you will have a great time. We are currently back in a property but we fulltimed for two years and we believe we made a mistake moving back into property.

If you give up all status, i.e an address you will have no legal right to medical care in the UK so make sure you keep one. If you contact companies such as insurance companies etc and tell them you have no address you will not get insurance.

If your family are agreeable then just use one of their addresses. If you want you can refer to the address as a c/o address and say you are between properties - who could argue with that.

I have a different opinion to Jim, I think you are what you want to be. The term fulltimer is generic rather than an accepted label. Its upto the individual as to what he wants to be and should not get dragged into having to qualify. Maybe a better word for fulltimer should be freedomtimer as thats what we are trying to achieve.

stew

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
. Maybe a better word for fulltimer should be freedomtimer as thats what we are trying to achieve.

stew

I like that! i like it a lot!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back