Full timers ?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by deisel doctor, Jan 8, 2013.

1. deisel doctor

deisel doctor Read Only Funster

In the future i would love to become a fulltimer when the mrs has packed up work , i have a couple of questions am i correct in saying you have to have an address ie post code,and how do you stand about council tax?????

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Yup you need an address for driving license, registration and insurance and not a lot else. No you don't pay council tax if you really are a full timer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

My post gos to 10 downing st speeding tickiets and parking tickets never had any come backs

• Like Like x 3
  4. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

what is an address?

I just wonder what constitutes an address.

A lad I once explained to me that he wrote letters to his Dad at - the caravan, the layby on the East Lancs Road outside town name. The lad was locked up and the family were travelers.

I think that there is a central facility run by the Gypsy Council that they can use but could the rest of us use an accommodation address?

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

The DVLA have cracked down in the last 2-3 years. Originally I had all my mail going to a physical Mailbox (no a PO box). This is acceptable for everything still except my driving license. This has to go to a member of the family. They were ok with it for the first 2 years then decided they didn't like it when I renewed my photo card part.

6. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

It depends on where you want to full-time.
    If you have reason to be in the UK then it is either where you base yourselves (we found a small helpful campsite and had all of our post sent there) or you will need a co-operative family member.
    If you plan to tour the continent extensively then you can find somewhere this side of the Channel as a base - saves the expense and hassle of channel crossings every trip - but remember that if you are in a country for more than 182 days in a year then you would be regarded as resident there for tax purposes. For most people this is not a problem as tax rates are generally not that different; perhaps you could think about buying a static as an occasional base if you want a break from your motorhome, and have that as your permanent address.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of response for you - you could not have asked the question on a better forum.:BigGrin: Remember though as Jim said in his weekly round-up there is a sister site for full-timers www.motorhome365.com
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

7. maz

maz Funster

I use a friend's address for DVLA, insurance, banks, etc. She is very good and checks my mail for me - anything important is either forwarded to where I happen to be or scanned and e-mailed.

If you stay less than 28 days in one place, then you don't pay council tax. :thumb:

8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

If considering full timing I would suggest firstly renting the house for a year and seeing how you like be out there all year. That way, if you do not like it - you can return to a house.

Addresses - you can either use a friends, a work or use the redirect service, though this costs around £15 a month - advantage being, that you won't have to inform anyone and don't lose your credit score - ideal at least until you leave permanently after your trial period.

Ensure you are comfortable - what may be ok for hols, may not full time. So advise looking at something spacious, WINTERISED with pronounced zones and seperate fixed bed. It can make the difference between enjoyment and disaster. Our original vehicle we would have struggled in, our current has been a breeze!

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, quite correct..

but be aware, if you stay longer than that you may get a tax bill from the council.. as I did .