Full time (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Guys after a year of sole searching we have decided to go full time with the motor home. Last year our son immigrated to New Zealand with our gorgeous grand daughters so we have no family connections here. I retire at the end of this year but my wife has a couple of years to go. We intend to sell our house and release the funds to start the adventure and also send my son and his family a financial windfall at least we will see then enjoy it. If after a couple of years we want back to bricks and mortar we can always rent. I don't want to in years to come to say if only,I have joined the forum on the sister site 365 and found out a lot of things that are very helpful so if things go well early next year

Bill

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sound's like a good plan, exciting times ahead, good luck, be good to know how it goes on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Yeah! Just do it. I've been fulltime for 2 years now and have no intention or inclination to go back to bricks n mortar. I love it. I'm so glad I am able now to say "I'm glad I did it". Rather than be sat in front of the telly thinking, "I wonder what would have happened if ......!"

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Go for it,you only live once,follow your dream.The amount of people I've met that wanted to do something but never acted on it,and now "it's too late"
Don't be one of them,be true to your self.At worst you'll end up in a home with some poor sod who did nothing but save for the future,now it's here it'll be costing his estate a fortune,whereas the government will pick up your tab as you'll technically have nowt.
Travel and spend now,dribble and reminiss later. :thumb:

Vlad

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Yeah! Just do it. I've been fulltime for 2 years now and have no intention or inclination to go back to bricks n mortar. I love it. I'm so glad I am able now to say "I'm glad I did it". Rather than be sat in front of the telly thinking, "I wonder what would have happened if ......!"
Estate Agents in next week and totally agree, I would hate to think if only, we will have to move about local as my wife wants to complete her 40 years with the government and has no intention to give that up. But as we are based in Scotland we are spoiled for choices and we have good friends so we can use there post code for insurances and the like in doing all the research the UK don't make it easy but there is ways round things

Bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Estate Agents in next week and totally agree, I would hate to think if only, we will have to move about local as [HI]my wife wants to complete her 40 years with the government and has no intention to give that up[/HI]. But as we are based in Scotland we are spoiled for choices and we have good friends so we can use there post code for insurances and the like in doing all the research the UK don't make it easy but there is ways round things

Bill
Why????

I'm sure you've been able to get a lot of advice on the pros and cons of full-timing form the point of view of living in a van, but have you really thought through the pros and cons of giving up a 'bricks and mortar' home - if you need at any point to go back to it renting is NOT as easy as you may think so if you have funds I would suggest you either buy yourself a 'bolt hole' and rent it out in the interim period, or ensure that you put the money in some savings accounts and don't send a load of it to your kids at present. You may not actually take to full-timing, not everyone does, so please do not burn your bridges just yet ...

Also, on another front, I'd suggest you look into the implications of giving away a load of money, for example if you need care in the future and haven't money to pay for it so apply for benefits/funding, if they deem you have giving away a load of money which you would have used, it could mean you are not entitled to anything.

I have been looking into this financial aspect as my mum has inherited some money from my Dad which we never knew he had (they'd been living apart for over 20 years but never divorced) and, despite her not wanting it and him wanting it to go to us kids as he didn't make a will she has had to have it but she can't give more than £3k away a year otherwise she could fall foul of the 'care funding' rules if she needs it in the future.

All I'm saying is ensure you check out ALL the implications, for now and the future, then make an educated decision!:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Might be the very sensible approach but I say sod it live life to the full now you never know when your time is up, after losing a good few friends and relatives over years It has taught me not to worry about what could or could not happen in the future, you are only here once and at the end of the day the government can't take what you aint got. sod em all and live your life to the full with no regrets I know after selling up and going full time in 2006 we have no regrets and no intention of ever heading back to bricks and mortar.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Good advice from Minx.....

I would also keep an "option" open. A small ground floor flat or little house, you just don't know what is ahead. Rent it out whilst "fulltiming", it will provide steady income and a refuge if it ever becomes needed.

It's easy to say sod it, I will live the life, but the same life can deal you some very cruel cards. Should one of you fall seriously ill, have mobility issues, debilitating problems, etc, I don't think you would want to see that through in a motorhome. I wouldn't.

Remember, most folk don't end up in homes, they become ill suddenly, or just live for ages and see life out out with their loved ones in their own spaces....

Whatever you do though, I wish you all the best, and hope you have a great time.:thumb:

::bigsmile:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Why????

I'm sure you've been able to get a lot of advice on the pros and cons of full-timing form the point of view of living in a van, but have you really thought through the pros and cons of giving up a 'bricks and mortar' home - if you need at any point to go back to it renting is NOT as easy as you may think so if you have funds I would suggest you either buy yourself a 'bolt hole' and rent it out in the interim period, or ensure that you put the money in some savings accounts and don't send a load of it to your kids at present. You may not actually take to full-timing, not everyone does, so please do not burn your bridges just yet ...

Also, on another front, I'd suggest you look into the implications of giving away a load of money, for example if you need care in the future and haven't money to pay for it so apply for benefits/funding, if they deem you have giving away a load of money which you would have used, it could mean you are not entitled to anything.

I have been looking into this financial aspect as my mum has inherited some money from my Dad which we never knew he had (they'd been living apart for over 20 years but never divorced) and, despite her not wanting it and him wanting it to go to us kids as he didn't make a will she has had to have it but she can't give more than £3k away a year otherwise she could fall foul of the 'care funding' rules if she needs it in the future.

All I'm saying is ensure you check out ALL the implications, for now and the future, then make an educated decision!:thumb:
The reason my wife won't give up 40 years and rightly so is financial . I will put some money in high interest account in case but I don't see any sense buying a bolt hole just now and then leaving It for years and there is the cost of keeping the house in good order, regarding renting out my house,no chance. Our friends on to occasions rented out there house the cost of insurances and maintenance and the fact that after 2 months received no rent they then had to take legal action to remove them and I won't mention the state of the house, so that won't happen. As I said in a earlier thread I don't want to sit back in years to come and have any regrets and didn't give it a go. I firmly believe that your destiny is mapped out and if it happens it happens. This is not a over night decision, this has been going on for a few years and was just waiting for the right time,which is now. Over the years when touring the amount of people you meet that actually are fulltime is as astonishing. We have done a lot of research on sites in Scotland and they are conscious of the fact there is a change out there and are gearing up up for this way of life I'm not talking about residential sites,it's touring sites that are giving discounts for longer stays and have got round this 28 day rule . Also most sites are staying open all year reason is the weather milder winters. Yes I'm going for it not waiting to see whats round the corner,because one day that corner won't be there.

Bill

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The reason my wife won't give up 40 years and rightly so is financial . I will put some [HI]money in high interest account[/HI] in case but I don't see any sense buying a bolt hole just now and then leaving It for years and there is the cost of keeping the house in good order, regarding renting out my house,no chance. Our friends on to occasions rented out there house the cost of insurances and maintenance and the fact that after 2 months received no rent they then had to take legal action to remove them and I won't mention the state of the house, so that won't happen. As I said in a earlier thread I don't want to sit back in years to come and have any regrets and didn't give it a go. I firmly believe that your destiny is mapped out and if it happens it happens. This is not a over night decision, this has been going on for a few years and was just waiting for the right time,which is now. Over the years when touring the amount of people you meet that actually are fulltime is as astonishing. We have done a lot of research on sites in Scotland and they are conscious of the fact there is a change out there and are gearing up up for this way of life I'm not talking about residential sites,it's touring sites that are giving discounts for longer stays and have got round this 28 day rule . Also most sites are staying open all year reason is the weather milder winters. Yes I'm going for it not waiting to see whats round the corner,because one day that corner won't be there.
Bill
Now you have my interest, where can I find one of these high interest accounts.:winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You could??? always join your Son???

If you have no other immediate relatives in the UK, (Parents sons daughters Grandparents) you could go under the Family Reunion scheme. You would have to provide for yourself for a certain number of years (Medicare etc), your son would have to sponsor you and say he will provide for you in times of YOUR hardship/sickness.

Failing that if you have enough dosh you could creep in under the Entrepernuial " (sp?)

There is always a way:thumb:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
You could??? always join your Son???

If you have no other immediate relatives in the UK, (Parents sons daughters Grandparents) you could go under the Family Reunion scheme. You would have to provide for yourself for a certain number of years (Medicare etc), your son would have to sponsor you and say he will provide for you in times of YOUR hardship/sickness.

Failing that if you have enough dosh you could creep in under the Entrepernuial " (sp?)

There is always a way:thumb:
I could but don't want to this is his time we will always visit but right now this is our time Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back