LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
What sort of money do fulltimers pay if on a campsite longterm. And what sevices do you get, electric extra etc.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
£10 to £12 but dont speak about it much as break club rules.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have been on sites at £100 per calendar month and on others at £35 per week and that's not club sites so no restriction on time spent there.
The only downside is they close for 3 or 4 months in the winter so you have to go to Spain::bigsmile:
At this price no electric but water and dump,so you need an off grid camper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Long term pitches on some big sites can go for around £1800 a year including electric. Lots of fulltimers base themselves on CLs and pay between £5 and £12, some of those with electric:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
One thing to watch for as an RV'er CL have it in there head that us RVers chew up electric, no more than caravanner's who use a fan heater in there awning.

Good idea to say you only use a little as possible.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One thing to watch for as an RV'er CL have it in there head that us RVers chew up electric, no more than caravanner's who use a fan heater in there awning.

Good idea to say you only use a little as possible.

hmmm .. it's not in their head John ...

Not many caravans with domestic washer/dryers, giant fridge freezers, twin air cons , 42in plasma TVs , they also use a lot to heat them... ... should I go on or lets just say an RV CAN use a lot more leccy than a caravan..

It was after we went on pay meter we realised just how much we did use.. :Blush:

As for prices... budget on £10 - £12 per night .. or about £4k per year

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
hmmm .. it's not in their head John ...

Not many caravans with domestic washer/dryers, giant fridge freezers, twin air cons , 42in plasma TVs , they also use a lot to heat them... ... should I go on or lets just say an RV CAN use a lot more leccy than a caravan..

It was after we went on pay meter we realised just how much we did use.. :Blush:

As for prices... budget on £10 - £12 per night .. or about £4k per year

Most RV's & 5th wheel I have seen don't have washing machines or dryer. Most don't have plasma 42 inch TV either.

I rarely seen air con being used far less twins being used:Doh:

My heating is blown LPG by the 12 volt system

You have made this view well known and done the RV community and CL owners a fair amount of damage IMHO.

Sorry my views don't agree with yours Jim on this occasion.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I am glad to see Paul has fitted the meters Jim, it was something I suggested to him a few years ago. He was concerned at the amount of electricity and I wondered if he thought it was us. It turned out to be a caravanner who had an old, high usage and almost empty chest freezer in his awning!

As for full timing Mikey don't abuse the sites and you will be okay. Don't call them and say you are a fulltimer but get to know them first. £10 a night + my electricity usage is what I would plan for.

I actually boycott site owners who charge more than that!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Most RV's & 5th wheel I have seen don't have washing machines or dryer. Most don't have plasma 42 inch TV either.

I rarely seen air con being used far less twins being used:Doh:

My heating is blown LPG by the 12 volt system

You have made this view well known and done the RV community and CL owners a fair amount of damage IMHO.

Sorry my views don't agree with yours Jim on this occasion.

I said CAN ... not must have or use... :Doh:

They have a potential to use it ... what YOU use is academic .. many use the EHU for heating .. after all its been paid for ... so goes the logic, and they do.

I am not expressing a view I am stating facts .. how have I damaged the RV community or CL owners ... ? by saying the truth ??

do you thing site owners are just daft farmers with straw in their mouths .. :RollEyes:
many own vans and RVs .. and just as knowledgeable about motorhomes as anyone on here.

leccy meters are they way to go.. it is fair to all, especially those who have no need for it ..

One CL we were on charged £2 per night more for RVs .. I didn't quibble... I know I could use more than a panel van conversion or a caravan..

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Can is a big word (my car can do 130mph but I don't do it) many eurovans have AC now as well.

Most farmers with straw in there mouth's have basic CLs with no electric but a water point and bin:winky:

But you plant the seed with your constant negative replies about RV's.:helptitanic: why I don't know?:Doh::RollEyes:

You talk as though most RV'er are stupid and leave everything on:RollEyes:

You don't help the community whatsoever:winky:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
£60 a week with electric & basic shower toilet:thumb:

Hi Wizzer, where in mid wales can you get a pitch for £60 A week with elec & shower/toilet.??????????? very interesed if you can. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can is a big word (my car can do 130mph but I don't do it) many eurovans have AC now as well.

Most farmers with straw in there mouth's have basic CLs with no electric but a water point and bin:winky:

But you plant the seed with your constant negative replies about RV's.:helptitanic:

You don't help the community whatsoever:winky:

Glad you see the logic that site owners with leccy are not just daft farmers..

NOT negative .. the truth .. why are you in denial .. the bigger a van the more it takes to heat.. everyone knows that... the bigger a fridge/freezer the more it uses.. these are just facts .. and site owners know this full well without me telling them.. they are not stupid, THEY pay the leccy bill

disagree with my post, but don't get personal and accuse me of being negative or damaging anyone .. stick to the facts !

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Glad you see the logic that site owners with leccy are not just daft farmers..

NOT negative .. the truth .. why are you in denial .. the bigger a van the more it takes to heat.. everyone knows that... the bigger a fridge/freezer the more it uses.. these are just facts .. and site owners know this full well without me telling them.. they are not stupid, THEY pay the leccy bill

disagree with my post, but don't get personal and accuse me of being negative or damaging anyone .. stick to the facts !

Have you ever seen a caravan grow over twice in size buy hooking a full awning,:Eeek::whatthe: most like em warm:winky::RollEyes::Doh: the awning can be as long as the van and wider than it by being 3 meters wide:winky: this is a fact:winky:

I BTW as you know have both RV and caravan so can see both sides.:winky:

I feel you are negative to the RV community just by reading this thread:winky::Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you ever seen a caravan grow over twice in size buy hooking a full awning,:Eeek::whatthe: most like em warm:winky::RollEyes::Doh: the awning can be as long as the van and wider than it by being 3 meters wide:winky: this is a fact:winky:

I BTW as you know have both RV and caravan so can see both sides.:winky:

I feel you are negative to the RV community just by reading this thread:winky::Doh:

Yes, I've seen vans with fan heaters in awnings... this is why I am in favour of metered leccy.. I don't want to pay for anyone else's waste or usage, as is the case on most sites.. and why pitch fees have risen sharply with the rising cost of leccy ..

Of course if you are a big user it will cost you more .. and that's fair.. why should a PVC owner pay for the leccy an RV or caravan awning heating man uses..

I repeat I am NOT negative or against RVs .. .. just telling it as it is ..

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I have never seen an RV like Jim describes on a C/L type site---a lot of campsites have 6 or 10 amp EHU------there is no-way all that gear would run on that power supply--------- you would see those massive RVs in the 'states where they have 50amp EHU--------although there is the odd site in England that accomodate these monsters-- -----With our 5th wheel, and many RVs that we have travelled with, we manage VERY well drawing very little power---we have an 'owl' meter and watch the power consumption very closely-----obviously during the winter months we use more---BUT during the summer months we use very little---------so a campsite should WIN on the electric cost for half the year and would not expect to make a profit on the proportion of site fee which covers the electricity during the winter (as we know, making a profit on electric is ILLEGAL)
We manage well on our 900watt genny for just a couple of hours a day when not on EHU for weeks at a time (we have no solar power)

If you are assuming that RVs use more power than new caravans, take a look at their Electric heating, Electric cooking, Electric kettle, Electric water heater all built in as standard fittings and not forgetting the electric heater running 24/7 in the awning (which we have seen too many times)-------PLEASE don't tar us all with the same brush:Sad:

Perhaps it would be fairer to reduce the summer rate and increase the winter rate----then we would all be happy:thumb:--------the problem with meters, as we see it, is that they, and the cards all make electric MORE expensive, because THEY have to be paid for:Sad:

Going back on topic---------we never stay long-term in campsites--our RV was built with wheels --we keep them turning as much as possible:thumb:
We aim for £10 limit per night with EHU
Nigel & Pamala

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I repeat I am NOT negative or against RVs .. .. just telling it as it is ..

By telling it as it is in your eyes makes an assumption that RV'er use more power than caravans or even tenters now who sometimes run a leccy lead to them.

I disagree as most fulltiming RV'er try to be as gentle on power as they can to abolish the Chinese whispers about them running washing machine, dryer, 42inch TV's and twin air cons because they own a vehicle that can use it (although most don't have all the listed gadgets:winky:)

S'pose must agree to disagree.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I keep a spreadsheet recording our fuel and camping costs, I have it for the last 4 years.

Last year (May 2010 to May 2011) overall we averaged £7.26 a night. This included 6 months on one site in Spain ( €250 a month) and a total of 58 nights either house sitting or staying on people's drives or French Aires.
We have sometimes stayed on expensive sites if they are in the place we want to be - the most expensive last year was the C&CC site at Dingwall in August - £24.10 a night :Eeek: but as I said it was where we wanted to be at that time.:Smile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are in the Isle of avalon campsite in glastonbury paid £17.50 a night, we were at the old oaks a bit further from town at a cheaper £13,50 a night but no bus and taxi was £6 each way so £4 a night more but with only a 10 minute walk to town suits us very well, even better on our bikes just 3 or so minutes away:thumb:
Sometimes we pay cheap sometime we pay dear but it all evens itself out over the year and we use mirror couchers and get campsites for 0.95p a night, works out pretty good over the year.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
we have two very nice CL's near us. Both charge £5 per night with no electric. I have seen long stayers on one and I mean long. A lovely location that I wouldn't mind myself.

As for a big RV using more electric? well, I wouldn't say they do compared to most modern caravans, but one thing is for sure. If you pull up in one, the farmer/owner with the straw hat is sure going to think you will use more with or without Jim's comments. Its the law of science Its big, it will use more even if it aint true.

I would love to go to a site with an electric meter and be charged on that basis. I think every site owner should consider it as TBH it might make people think more.:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Second hand refurbished meters cost £25 each They fit in the same space as a trip on the outlet. I was given these figures by a site owner.

He installed meters after caravanners with awnings were heating the awning 24/7.

I was parked beside a van (No Awning) on the site that only used electric he didn't carry a gas bottle. He arived late afternoon put £5 on the meter and ran out overnight . The site charged 14p Kwh I was using just over £1 per night. He went out smartly and bought a gas bottle.

This site charges £10 per night. Hardstanding, fully serviced sites, including satelite hookup.

Another C&CC site we use charges £11 this summer.
Last winter they added £2 per night. They were charging £10 per night and reduced the charge to £11 for the summer this year.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for replys guys. We thought about £10 a night would be about right. I think cheaper pitch fees and metered electric is ok then its up to the individual how much they use. Paying £100 a week for a pitch plus electric is way to much.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi
I have never seen an RV like Jim describes on a C/L type site---a lot of campsites have 6 or 10 amp EHU------there is no-way all that gear would run on that power supply--------- you would see those massive RVs in the 'states where they have 50amp EHU--------although there is the odd site in England that accomodate these monsters-- -----With our 5th wheel, and many RVs that we have travelled with, we manage VERY well drawing very little power---we have an 'owl' meter and watch the power consumption very closely-----obviously during the winter months we use more---BUT during the summer months we use very little---------so a campsite should WIN on the electric cost for half the year and would not expect to make a profit on the proportion of site fee which covers the electricity during the winter (as we know, making a profit on electric is ILLEGAL)
We manage well on our 900watt genny for just a couple of hours a day when not on EHU for weeks at a time (we have no solar power)

If you are assuming that RVs use more power than new caravans, take a look at their Electric heating, Electric cooking, Electric kettle, Electric water heater all built in as standard fittings and not forgetting the electric heater running 24/7 in the awning (which we have seen too many times)-------PLEASE don't tar us all with the same brush:Sad:

Perhaps it would be fairer to reduce the summer rate and increase the winter rate----then we would all be happy:thumb:--------the problem with meters, as we see it, is that they, and the cards all make electric MORE expensive, because THEY have to be paid for:Sad:

Going back on topic---------we never stay long-term in campsites--our RV was built with wheels --we keep them turning as much as possible:thumb:
We aim for £10 limit per night with EHU
Nigel & Pamala

I agree with you well stated !!!

was nice to meet you at Oswestry
Ian & Carole in Eston

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have been following this thread with interest, as we are in the process of setting our charges for 2012, and are always keen to attract long-term guests. But some questions have not been addressed. What do you mean by full-time when it comes to staying on a pitch? Are you talking 3, 6 or 12 months? And what sort of pitch do you want? We have grass pitches, hardstandings and fully serviced pitches - the price varying with the standard of each.

Electricity is expensive, and we took a decision to put in 16A throughout the site, though it is the choice of each guest whether they have an ehu or not. The cost of meters was a factor in this decision, and as said in a previous post these are not cheap items, and have to be paid for.

This year we have new regulations to face on testing for legionella (legionaires disease) at a cost of around 400€ per annum, and we have new classifications coming in that will add another inspection costing 400€, though thankfully only every five years. Small wonder that a number of campsites in France are closing.

We are open 24/7 throughout the year, and provide a good level of security, as the site is never left unsupervised. Are you prepared to pay for this, and for a decent quality of site, or is it just a question of getting minimum prices? Does it matter that we have a quality shower block or do you just use your own on-board facilities?

Our projected 2012 prices for a stay on a fully-serviced pitch allowing for the current exchange rate of 1€ = 85p are around £11 p/n for 6 months and £12 p/n for three months, these including electricity and wifi. Standard hardstandings and grass pitches are lower cost. Judging by the comments earlier these are more or less in line with what you would expect to pay - are we right? (Discounts do not apply to these prices, and one-night stopovers and short term stays are obviously more expensive)

We will be interested in any comments.

Bob and Di
www.parcverger.com

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Bob and Di if you feel that's what you can run the site on well I thinks your pricing is very attractive to say the least especially with quality of pitch as I was talking of CL with OK electric, water and elsan point on site for that price.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Thanks, John, we never forget that guests coming from the UK have to pay fuel costs to get here! OK, often they are en route to or from Spain, but long-term guests tend just to head for PV so the fuel is part of the overall cost. From our point of view long-termers are good news (and all to date have been good company!) so we try to hold our costs down to encourage motorhomers and others to come and stay for a while.

Your comments are noted and appreciated.

Bob

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have been following this thread with interest, as we are in the process of setting our charges for 2012, and are always keen to attract long-term guests. But some questions have not been addressed. What do you mean by full-time when it comes to staying on a pitch? Are you talking 3, 6 or 12 months? And what sort of pitch do you want? We have grass pitches, hardstandings and fully serviced pitches - the price varying with the standard of each.

Electricity is expensive, and we took a decision to put in 16A throughout the site, though it is the choice of each guest whether they have an ehu or not. The cost of meters was a factor in this decision, and as said in a previous post these are not cheap items, and have to be paid for.

This year we have new regulations to face on testing for legionella (legionaires disease) at a cost of around 400€ per annum, and we have new classifications coming in that will add another inspection costing 400€, though thankfully only every five years. Small wonder that a number of campsites in France are closing.

We are open 24/7 throughout the year, and provide a good level of security, as the site is never left unsupervised. Are you prepared to pay for this, and for a decent quality of site, or is it just a question of getting minimum prices? Does it matter that we have a quality shower block or do you just use your own on-board facilities?

Our projected 2012 prices for a stay on a fully-serviced pitch allowing for the current exchange rate of 1€ = 85p are around £11 p/n for 6 months and £12 p/n for three months, these including electricity and wifi. Standard hardstandings and grass pitches are lower cost. Judging by the comments earlier these are more or less in line with what you would expect to pay - are we right? (Discounts do not apply to these prices, and one-night stopovers and short term stays are obviously more expensive)

We will be interested in any comments.

Bob and Di
www.parcverger.com

As you know we will soon be with you for 3 months. We loved France when there in May and June which was Steph's first trip abroad. We booked with you firstly as France is now in our "comfort" zone. Secondly, that your price was in line with what we would pay in England on a CL with electric. Third, because you are English and (hopefully) we can draw on your knowledge if we need to.
See you soon. ::bigsmile:

Note I said CL, full blown sites would be much more expensive.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We are looking forward to your arrival. ksebruce, and to exchanging info with you. This is a beautiful area, and we are sure that you will enjoy your stay.:thumb:
Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back