Full time insurance Poll (MK.2)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by scotjimland, Aug 23, 2009.

?

I am fully insured, the insurance company are fully aware of my circumstances

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Uncertain

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Following on from the other full timing thread ..

with good reason, few full timers care to comment on how or who they are insured with, so I am not going to ask for any comments but if you full time can you please vote in the poll .. ?

Only Full Timers please..

How do you respond to this statement >>>

I am confident I am fully insured, the insurance company are fully aware of my circumstances and in the event of a claim wouldn't fear an investigation.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Jim,

I voted NO, but I can honestly say that my insurance company are fully a where of my circumstances from the questions they asked.

If they had asked out right, "Do you or are you intending to full time?" then errrrr :whistle: I honestly don't know what I'd have said.

Mick

3. scotjimland

Come on, don't be shy .. it's a totally anonymous poll ..

Honest .. :Wink:

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Jim, are we talking about the house or the M/H?

Doug...

5. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I know this might be regenerating a number of threads but the term 'full timer' to me is someone who is living ie eating sleeping showering etc etc 24/7/365 in there chosen RV regardless of whether or not they own 1 house or a string of houses should not matter ??? Otherwise you are setting glass ceilings

6. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Not necessarily so. For instance. I am a Full-timer, own houses and have not showered in the RV or Motorhome for 3 years. We DO however ALWAYS sleep in either our RV or Motorhome. The majoriy of the time (80% mas o minus) we also EAT in the RV or Motorhome. How do I vote?

7. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

John,

I would say, If your insurance company knew the above would they still cover you and if you put in a BIG several thousand claim?

Mick

8. johnsandywhite

:Sad: We had 2 accidents in our first RV the 1988 Coachmen Classic 32ft. No questions asked. But they DID change the fact that they no longer would insure RV's. :Rofl1:

:Doh: Another point is that we DO NOT stay in the RV for 12 months. We use the commuter for the time in the UK. So you could say we are NOT Full-timers?

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i think the real question is .did you tell the insurance co. you were of no fixed abode and have no contact address. that would surely be a full timer. also i,m going to stay away from uk n not return to mot /tax my vehicle.that would cause a problem i,m sure.

10. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Not sure exactly how Jim sees it as he's offline at the moment, but owning of a property to rent out whilst fulltiming does seem to be a bit of a 'sticky point'.

Don't know much about the legalities of owning rented property other than as landlord you are responsible for all maintenance etc. But as you are not living in that property, how can it be possible to declare that as your UK residential address? And apparently this is the very fine line which insurance companies set when people wanting to fulltime (24/7 365 days a year), apply for a policy.

11. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

That is how i define fulltiming. Someone who has totally cut ties to any form of accommodation other than their mh/rv.

As for tax/mot you have no choice other than to return anually to the UK to MOT the vehicle. Tax can be done online but unfortunately not an MOT!

12. johnsandywhite

:RollEyes: That's what I keep telling everyone. I HAVE 2 HOUSES that I rent out to family. So HOW DO I VOTE? I am NOT of NO FIXED ABODE, but I DO live in an RV and a Motorhome. :Doh:

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i didnt mean to direct the question to you personally it was a general question.But as a landlord you would i imagine be registered with the inland revenue so is not an address necesary for tax returns. also your english registration for vehicles. i wonder how long it will be before the spanish etc authority start uplifting english reg vehicles not currently taxed. i did hear its already started in the malaga province.

14. scotjimland

Hi

Thanks for your thoughts and input ..

I appreciated it's a complex question, but whether you own property or not, if you consider yourself full time you can answer ..

If you live for several weeks or months at home then it really doesn't apply.. you are not full time and should have no insurance issues.

Jim

15. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I would definately say you are full timers - will not go too deeply into the Showering bit:Rofl1::Rofl1: - my point was looking at the different threads on this forum and others there seem to be a number of people who say you are not full timing if you still own bricks and mortar and personally I cannot see how this affects whether you are a full timer or not - everyones circumstances are different as has been proved many times and therefore full timing should be if you are living in it 365 days per year and not popping home for a couple of months

16. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Full Time Insurance

Hi Jim.

We have our m/h and toad on the same policy, had an interesting discussion with agent, when we talked about using an A frame to tow the toad....all was well.

Our property insurance is with the same company/agent, and our correspondence address for both policies is a different address.

They know our full time situation, and when we had to make a claim in 07, it went through without any problems.

Nomadic:thumb:

17. scotjimland

Hi Doug

just saw your post , I was asking about MH insurance

jim

18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

i concider fulltiming as having cut ALL tyes with bricks and mortor.If you have a postal address with a letterbox you are not fulltime in my eyes.The problems only start when you dont have the letterbox.We live in the RV most of the year but I dont consider myself as fulltime becouse I dont have anywhere near the problems a fulltimer has.

19. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Now that is intriguing because we own property which is our get out of jail card if needed but for the last 13 months we have lived exclusively in an RV and plan to for at least a further 5 years - we have no way of immediately going back into a house - it would take up to 6 months to achieve if needed and in real terms I can see little difference in owning property and hoping its OK and the value staying good compared with selling all up and putting the money in a bank and hoping it earns some interest So based on your thoughts what am I if not a full timer.

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi landy i can only ask where is your vehicle registered +driving lic,as you work from it is it on the bussiness ins?..of course i realize you may not wishto answer these questions and you could say i am being abit cheeky asking . do you register to no fixed abode.