Fuel whilst on tick over

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by errpaul, Jan 16, 2014.

1. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Does anyone know roughly how much fuel the a 2.8jtd engine would use on tick over. I'm thinking whilst running the engine for an hour or so each day to top up batteries.

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

0 mpg!!!!!!!:thumb:

It will depend on how much load your engine is under.
    Typically, a conventional split charge system will only replace 20Ah into the leisure battery durimg an hours run.
    I would suggest this will not keep up with even light 12 volt system useage.

Engine charging is best achieved with a good battery to battery charger. There are lots of threads on the subject.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Probably somewhere between 0.5 and 1 litre per hour I think - but the cost to any DPF, if fitted, would probably be a lot more. I suspect any catalytic converter and the exhaust system generally would also suffer due to condensation.

Probably OK to do it now and again but I can't think doing it every day for perhaps weeks on end would do it any good at all.

An EHU or solar panel is what you need! :Smile:

4. Mel

Mel Funster

IMO this will harm your engine its not what its for.
    Beter to buy small genny.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Prolonged running of a diesel engine at light load and low speed is also risking cylinder bore glazing. A potentially expensive problem. That's why it's better to get a decent small petrol generator, designed for the job, and plug it into the van's EHU point so the onboard charger can do its job.
    See this article - scroll down through the various sections:
    http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/Boreglazing.aspx

• Like Like x 3
  6. busby

busby Funster

That is the worst thing you can do to an engine. It will take for ever to attain its working temp which will cause considerable engine wear.....BUSBY:Sad::Sad:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

Got to agree with busby on this, B2B charger or ehu or genny. The max you will get from the split charge is 10-15amps, a B2B will give what ever it can 40-60amps, ehu 15-18amp unless you upgrade it with something bigger like a starter/charger. A genny but that's like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut unless you use a bigger charger. If you have a 150amp/h battery capacity trying to fill it up at 10amps is going to take 15hrs, please do not even think about letting the engine tick over this long.:Sad:
    Steve

8. Terry

Terry Funster

It would take many hours before glazing would occur :Smile: Occasional use would be fine :thumb: but it would be better to take the van on a run to shops etc. I read somewhere that a 2.8 td will use aprox half a gallon per hr on tick over but cannot verify that figure
    I usually drive a few miles every day and never have a problem with 1 x 110 amp hr battery to run all stuff without hook up -- Battery can last 3 days easy on it's own but we never stay put longer than that- van is used like a car to get around in :thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  9. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Thanks for the posts everyone.
    We had thought about a small cheap genny, but haven't got the space or payload. We have to be very careful with everything as it is, and going to have an extra child this year.

10. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Congratulations:thumb:

11. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Thank you :BigGrin: