Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Latest news is that now French transport workers are joining in the strike - how long before the ferries and the tunnel go out too? This is a country that loves revolution; if I was the government I'd be concerned about losing my head - literally! Did you know that the French Army actually went on strike during WW1 - seriously. You don't hear about that when they commemorate Verdun.
Already the French union leaders are saying that it's the government's fault if the footballing Euros go pear shaped...

May 14, 2015
Wrexham, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2014
Returned on Sunday via tunnel after 2 weeks around Normandy. No issues at all on motorways for fuel but caught out by blockade over Seine . Last week many local supermarkets had fuel when main petrol stations didn't, but we're limiting the amount you could take....just keep topping up at regular intervals. Or as we had to do go around several times!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Latest news from BBC, and it's not good news.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36414892

The railway strike began at 19:00 local time (17:00 GMT) and was expected to cause widespread travel disruption on national and regional networks on Wednesday.

The Paris Metro is due to go on strike from Thursday, and six of the country's eight oil refineries are still halted or running at reduced capacity due to union action.

Air France pilots have voted to strike for at least six days in June in a separate dispute over productivity targets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We crossed UK/France on Sat 28 and fuelled up at Neufchâtel en Bray and the following day at Bonneval. We fuelled up today at Limoge.
We have seen a couple of stations where they were showing €00.00 for petrol (presumably out of petrol) but no such signs anywhere for diesel. We haven't seen queueing anywhere. In all, we have travelled 500 miles since leaving Calais without any problems - apart from the rain that is!

We had some doubts about sticking to our original plans just before leaving but it has been fine. At the moment, there would not seem to be any reason for anyone to change their plans but I acknowledge that everyone has different risk tolerance levels!

Ian

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Overnight on aire at Couhe below Poitiers near A10 . Lerclerc have no fuel and station shut. Carrefour have no petrol but have Diesel with no restrictions. When will it stop raining!
Cheers Bernie

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Late
Already the French union leaders are saying that it's the government's fault if the footballing Euros go pear shaped...
Is that why they've organised transport strikes in all cities hosting matches to coincide withe the football ? Hopefully the football supporters will sort it out.:D
Latest news from BBC, and it's not good news.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36414892

The railway strike began at 19:00 local time (17:00 GMT) and was expected to cause widespread travel disruption on national and regional networks on Wednesday.

The Paris Metro is due to go on strike from Thursday, and six of the country's eight oil refineries are still halted or running at reduced capacity due to union action.

Air France pilots have voted to strike for at least six days in June in a separate dispute over productivity targets.

Old news from last week though Jim.
The ATC strike from 6am tomorrow until 6am Monday, There's another general strike on the 14th. Add in the transport strikes on days when the euros are being played+ assorted other ones.:(

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
A friend has just arrived in France. Got as far as an aire between Rouen and Le Havre. He reports no flood problems and no fuel problems.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
I know it is so worrying for everyone wondering if they will be able to get fuel, we have actually paid a fortune to change our crossing to Santander, as we only get the odd opportunity for holidays, but I sometimes wish we stood up for things in this country, I would have been entitled to my pension this month, now have to wait another 6 years, our kids have jobs on zero hour contracts and cannot get mortgages, where will it end, Britain is not Great, our kids do not have the opportunity of secure jobs that we had, they raised the retirement age in Belgium last week and they went on strike, we just take whatever rubbish they hand out quietly.

I hope you all have a great summer and safe travels.

Lynne

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I know it is so worrying for everyone wondering if they will be able to get fuel, we have actually paid a fortune to change our crossing to Santander, as we only get the odd opportunity for holidays, but I sometimes wish we stood up for things in this country, I would have been entitled to my pension this month, now have to wait another 6 years, our kids have jobs on zero hour contracts and cannot get mortgages, where will it end, Britain is not Great, our kids do not have the opportunity of secure jobs that we had, they raised the retirement age in Belgium last week and they went on strike, we just take whatever rubbish they hand out quietly.

Lynne[/QUOTE
Totally agree, Bahamas here we come!

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Worry, worry, worry, moan ,groan ,complain . Get a life and get on with it , part of the attraction of M Homing is a certain uncertainty regarding the lifestyle . Was intending to travel thru France for a month , shit weather so just continued South . Absolutely no problem with fuel supply , now just south of Barcelona , fuel is 1 euro per 1litre . Enjoy.

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
And by the way I am not at least interested about you having to wait extra years for your pension ,make the most of what you have and stop complaining .

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry Louis did realise that you were From Wales , that explains a lot .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Lynne
You shouldn't have paid a fortune to change , you would have been fine in France , look at all the people that have been there during the supposed worst of it, and not one have had any trouble, it's all propagander , you say you support striking for what you want but then complain because it's upset your plans(n)

Deleted User
You shouldn't have paid a fortune to change , you would have been fine in France , look at all the people that have been there during the supposed worst of it, and not one have had any trouble, it's all propagander , you say you support striking for what you want but then complain because it's upset your plans(n)

I've been here all the time and I had trouble finding fuel, things are changing daily even in the same area, if you happen to be in an area that has no diesel and you have commitments elsewhere then you would be up shit creek without a paddle.

The situation here is far from settled and could well get worse before it gets better.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I've been here all the time and I had trouble finding fuel, things are changing daily even in the same area, if you happen to be in an area that has no diesel and you have commitments elsewhere then you would be up shit creek without a paddle.

The situation here is far from settled and could well get worse before it gets better.

Are you saying there are still problems finding fuel in some areas?

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We are heading over to France for our first foray in the MH. Still not sure whether we should change plans and go to Luxembourg and the Black Forest....

So are looking with interest to everyone's comments on here with regard to this current situation.. So for those of us still waiting to go, all I can say is a big thank you for posting as much information as possible so we can make a well informed decision.. (y)

Keep up the information, at least until this saturday anyway (11th June)...:rolleyes:

Deleted User
Are you saying there are still problems finding fuel in some areas?

Last Thursday I filled up at the Leclerc station in Guerande, no limits, no queues.A mile away at the Intermarche no anything....closed.

I am not travelling through France and can only comment on the St. Nazaire area and my own circumstances.

The point I was trying to make is that the situation is still ongoing, there is a general strike on the 14th June, at the moment fuel supplies seem to be getting through from reserve supplies but that situation could change again.

If I was on a fixed time holiday it would certainly not add to my relaxation to be worrying about obtaining enough fuel to return home.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
the issue with the French , is how fast it changes, we would have been stuck for days had we not have got very lucky with a local , and so to go back 2 weeks later , with stuff still up in the air was too risky.
If I have to ring up work and say ' I cant come to work today because I am stuck in france with no fuel (which I almost did) ' , my boss is well within his rights to say 'why did you go when you knew there was an issue', and he would be right .. if you have nobody to answer to and are happy to be stuck in the arsehole of nowhere , fill your boots, but for me , the risk is too high , I run the gauntlet for time on every trip .

I don't stress over stuff, I have to go to where I am going , and either choose not to go , or prepare, for those who save all year for 2 weeks of freedom, I understand their apprehension, and I would do the same, go where you know its going to be ok , and leave the Garlic munchers to it.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
The situation for fuel has never been an issue where we live and where we have visited over the last few weeks, where it was more difficult, Brittany for example, the situation has eased considerably...

We no longer bother keeping our cars topped up..

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
The situation for fuel has never been an issue where we live and where we have visited over the last few weeks, where it was more difficult, Brittany for example, the situation has eased considerably...

Good to know... We are heading to Brittany..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Worry is the most useless, unproductive human emotion there is for those who suffer from it.

Tragically, small sized purveyors of doom, destruction and despair fan the flames of worry in order to sell more of their "papers". They are aided and abetted by the other forms of the media.

I recommend studying "How To Stop Worrying And Start Living" by Dale Carnegie.

Have any Funsters ACTUALLY run out of fuel in France recently?

JJ :cool:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Which is why the shortage has eased?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
the issue with the French , is how fast it changes, we would have been stuck for days had we not have got very lucky with a local , and so to go back 2 weeks later , with stuff still up in the air was too risky.
If I have to ring up work and say ' I cant come to work today because I am stuck in france with no fuel (which I almost did) ' , my boss is well within his rights to say 'why did you go when you knew there was an issue', and he would be right .. if you have nobody to answer to and are happy to be stuck in the arsehole of nowhere , fill your boots, but for me , the risk is too high , I run the gauntlet for time on every trip .

I don't stress over stuff, I have to go to where I am going , and either choose not to go , or prepare, for those who save all year for 2 weeks of freedom, I understand their apprehension, and I would do the same, go where you know its going to be ok , and leave the Garlic munchers to it.
This is the difference between working and retired:( retired folk , like us forget what it's like to be tied to a job and timescale, we would go to France and think about fuel when we get there, if there's not much about just sit back and wait till there is(y) but then again you younger ones have a lot more life to wait.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Worry is the most useless, unproductive human emotion there is for those who suffer from it.

Tragically, small sized purveyors of doom, destruction and despair fan the flames of worry in order to sell more of their "papers". They are aided and abetted by the other forms of the media.

I recommend studying "How To Stop Worrying And Start Living" by Dale Carnegie.

yes.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

The following is a summary of our own experience of travelling down to the Dordogne:

We crossed UK/France on Sat 28 and fuelled up at Neufchâtel en Bray and the following day at Bonneval. We fuelled up today at Limoge.
We have seen a couple of stations where they were showing €00.00 for petrol (presumably out of petrol) but no such signs anywhere for diesel. We haven't seen queueing anywhere. In all, we have travelled 500 miles since leaving Calais without any problems - apart from the rain that is!

We had some doubts about sticking to our original plans just before leaving but it has been fine. At the moment, there would not seem to be any reason for anyone to change their plans but I acknowledge that everyone has different risk tolerance levels!

Ian

We have since filled up in Altillac and have seen no issues over the last few days around this area of the Dordogne.

Current view from the hammock at Beaulieu sur Dordogne:

image.jpeg
Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back