Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Oh no

We were supposed to be travelling on Friday morning to Soulac.

I am absolutely gutted, but I just can't risk getting stranded with 3 kids and a medical condition :cry::cry:

Going to try and contact my insurance tomorrow to see where we stand if I cancel but I'm not holding out much hope to be honest.

Now to try and find somewhere in the UK oh and we've got to break it to the kids :cry:
Why not go to Holland instead
Have a look at Camping de Paal, lovely site, our kids loved it
You could take them to De Efteling theme park.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
France is drawing on it's strategic fuel reserves for the first time since 2010 - according to Sky News

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
On our way to Dunkirk leaving Germany Friday
. Will fill up as diesel is €1.06 and fill a 20ltr can. Will also fill up in Belgium just before ferry. With all cans filled up will give us enough fuel to get to Devon and back in 3 weeks time. Wont use van much during kids holiday time and fill up again when we go back to France 1st September.
Are you taking fuel containers on the ferry?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Currently in Sisteron and topped up this morning at the big Super U north of the town. Very busy but no queues really and no limit on quantity. We also saw a tanker offloading at the filling station as well, so it might still be an option for folks on the A51 (junction 23 I think)
We should now have enough to get us to Mulhouse and into Germany and a wander back up the Rhine to Calais.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Not sure what the problem is with the French. The bloody place closes down from saturday afternoon until monday morning (public holidays allowing). And unless you are a baker or flower seller (who make up their doss time during the week) lifes a beach.
Same as most european countries, personally I think it's great to look after yourself and not work self to death like we do in Britain. Their leisure rights are protected and rightly so. We just go with the flow and enjoy the leisurely 2 hour lunches, we also ensure we arrive outside of lunch hours to campsites etc. France, Belgium, Spain etc are a lot slower paced, that's why we go there :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Same as most european countries, personally I think it's great to look after yourself and not work self to death like we do in Britain. Their leisure rights are protected and rightly so. We just go with the flow and enjoy the leisurely 2 hour lunches, we also ensure we arrive outside of lunch hours to campsites etc. France, Belgium, Spain etc are a lot slower paced, that's why we go there :)
I always travel on a Sunday in France, very little traffic outside the main cities.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
On our way to Dunkirk leaving Germany Friday
. Will fill up as diesel is €1.06 and fill a 20ltr can. Will also fill up in Belgium just before ferry. With all cans filled up will give us enough fuel to get to Devon and back in 3 weeks time. Wont use van much during kids holiday time and fill up again when we go back to France 1st September.
Worth noting for petrol there are strict rules on the amount you can store in a garage and how you store it. (30 litres). Storing large amounts of fuel near your house may also void your house insurance! http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim, been to that site & don't understand the symbols of which ones which, i.e which ones are restocking or run out.

there are two different maps.. this is the ones restocking

Deleted User
If you click on the symbol it tells you the station what they have not got and the date and time of the report.

Remember that this site consists of information supplied by members of the public and the situation is constantly changing.

Reactions: DBK

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Filled up today at Auchan Calais no limit on how much you can have.
Price this morning €1.11

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Still heading North from Moulins this morning and filled up again just outside Troyes no problem. Seen very few queues or anything.

Martin

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Agree 100% we have been conned into believing that we have to work till we drop dead, the Europeans have the right balance when it come to work/life

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Only one station with fuel today . Then only 20 litres. Pumps preset and gendarmes looking harassed. I drove from Anet but pulled off at Olivet to rethink my plans.The situation is quite dire. I would guess the next step will be to prioritise emergency services,freight and farmers.I am not too sure whether to stay put or move to a municipale nearer shops etc. I am quite laid back but the husband is in a terrible lather.Not quite the relaxing time I needed.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Only one station with fuel today . Then only 20 litres. Pumps preset and gendarmes looking harassed. I drove from Anet but pulled off at Olivet to rethink my plans.The situation is quite dire. I would guess the next step will be to prioritise emergency services,freight and farmers.I am not too sure whether to stay put or move to a municipale nearer shops etc. I am quite laid back but the husband is in a terrible lather.Not quite the relaxing time I needed.
What is there to be in a lather about, have you got to be back for something special,if not just sit back and enjoy

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I seemed to recognise the Motorhomer on the ITV 10 o'clock news tonight. One of ours?

PS. This is begining to look serious; fuel ships stuck out at sea, some toll booths blockaded, long queues for 20litres, water cannon on the strikers AND trains etc on strike tomorrow.

PPS. If this was a couple of months on, it would ruin my holiday to France/Spain and I would have to cancel for fear of being stranded and not being able to get back for wife's work. Can't buzz over to Belgium or Germany for fuel if you're going down the other side of the country.

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
Only one station with fuel today . Then only 20 litres. Pumps preset and gendarmes looking harassed. I drove from Anet but pulled off at Olivet to rethink my plans.The situation is quite dire. I would guess the next step will be to prioritise emergency services,freight and farmers.I am not too sure whether to stay put or move to a municipale nearer shops etc. I am quite laid back but the husband is in a terrible lather.Not quite the relaxing time I needed.[/QUOTE
i would go somewhere close to shops so you can conserve what fuel you have for the next couple of days if you aren't tied to returning home for a certain date. Unfortunately wingman is correct, lots more union support for the strike tomorrow, including trains and port staff at some ports, and staff at one of France's nuclear plants have now voted for strike action too. the government have started to release some fuel reserves, mostly for the major cities and infrastructure.
To be honest, I doubt there would be a problem if you were at an aire for longer than usually allowed at the moment either.

Last edited:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I think at least that's just a holiday which you can re-arrange. This is far more serious to the people there, it's their jobs, their lives. Tho I do hope it's sorted a little quite soon :)
PPS. If this was a couple of months on, it would ruin my holiday to France/Spain and I would have to cancel for fear of being stranded and not being able to get back for wife's work. Can't buzz over to Belgium or Germany for fuel if you're going down the other side of the country.

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I drove from Dieppe to Ardenne yesterday. Some of the smaller towns still had fuel a lot were closed. However passed a queue of about forty odd cars waiting at a station at Amien.
I made a detour into Belgium near Mons for a top up without problem
Mike

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Just arrived at St Valery sur Somme and both Carrefour and Intermarche fuel station's are blocked with chains and pallets.
The lady who takes your payment was still sat in her hut at Carrefour though, not her fault.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And how are the shops to be restocked if there is no food for the delivery trucks? But I doubt it will go that far but some shortages should perhaps be expected. I'm in Italy, 300m from the French border at the moment. We will be heading east for a while, but kindest wishes for anyone stranded. In extremis you can run a diesel on paraffin but I'm not sure how a modern common rail engine would cope. Should be OK for a gentle few hundred kilometres if you had to. All the British Army trucks in Iraq and Afghanistan ran on it. No additives required but a bit of extra lubricant in the form of an additive would be wise, as a belt a braces measure if you can get either.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
In Vichy at the moment and the local supermarket is limiting diesel to 30E about 5 gals. No petrol at all for sale. Just topped up and have enough fuel to reach Calais for the 2nd June.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In extremis you can run a diesel on paraffin but I'm not sure how a modern common rail engine would cope. Should be OK for a gentle few hundred kilometres if you had to. All the British Army trucks in Iraq and Afghanistan ran on it. No additives required but a bit of extra lubricant in the form of an additive would be wise, as a belt a braces measure if you can get either.

It would be gone in no time & you'd be looking at some £4k by the time pump, injectors, pipework etc ; had all been replaced & tank cleaned. Even bio -diesel will have the filter blocked in no time.
That's why I went for a proper diesel that will actually run on anything.:)(y) Now you've mentioned it I'll have a look in Aldi's/Lidl's etc on my way over & see whether they have any cheap sunflower/rapeseed etc. :D

P.s you'd have to be desperate & rich to use paraffin here. About 20€/5litres:eek: days of 10p /gallon are long gone.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It would be gone in no time & you'd be looking at some £4k by the time pump, injectors, pipework etc ; had all been replaced & tank cleaned. Even bio -diesel will have the filter blocked in no time.
That's why I went for a proper diesel that will actually run on anything.:)(y) Now you've mentioned it I'll have a look in Aldi's/Lidl's etc on my way over & see whether they have any cheap sunflower/rapeseed etc. :D

P.s you'd have to be desperate & rich to use paraffin here. About 20€/5litres:eek: days of 10p /gallon are long gone.
No, trust me, I was part of the Army committee which investigated using paraffin (kero) for Army vehicles, it was called the single fuel policy which would have everything, jets, helicopters and vehicles running off the same fuel to simplify logistics. The only issues were around the reduced life of components, particularly the injection pump because of the reduced lubricity. However, nothing suggested you would get catastrophic early failures using it, just that the life of these components might be reduced a bit. Subsequent experience suggests there are no serious issues using it. Power will be down about 10% and fuel consumption increased about the same but there is no fundamental reason why it doesn't work. Kerosene isn't that much different to diesel, although the safest strategy would be to mix it with some diesel.

I would use it in mine if it meant catching the ferry.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Kerosene possibly with an added lubricant but I wouldn't want to run it to far.I'd also be looking to get rid of it soon after as well as it is unlikely the manufacturer would honour any future warrranty problems.:D
I used bio-diesel in a new Transit connect, & it blocked the diesel filter in no time. ended up with tank drained to remove it all + filters changed.:(
Ford dealer told me at the time that most manufacturers would void any warranty if anything other than pure diesel was used on a crdi. My brother in Germany enquired of Hyundai about using bio in his Terracan 4wd & was told no, absolutely not.
I'll stick to the old school diesel with the Bosch pump that will run on anything.

Deleted User
Kerosene possibly with an added lubricant but I wouldn't want to run it to far.I'd also be looking to get rid of it soon after as well as it is unlikely the manufacturer would honour any future warrranty problems.:D
I used bio-diesel in a new Transit connect, & it blocked the diesel filter in no time. ended up with tank drained to remove it all + filters changed.:(
Ford dealer told me at the time that most manufacturers would void any warranty if anything other than pure diesel was used on a crdi. My brother in Germany enquired of Hyundai about using bio in his Terracan 4wd & was told no, absolutely not.
I'll stick to the old school diesel with the Bosch pump that will run on anything.

I was under the impression that most, if not all, diesel fuel must now contain a proportion of bio fuel, how would this square with such a warranty condition?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back