fuel shortages in France (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone coming over fill up before leaving UK. Drove down from St Malo this morning huge queues at the few garages with fuel many closed. We managed to top up at services on N24 just East of Ploermel, there were queues and restrictions on filling containers of any sort. We are currently on a campsite at Le Roc St Andre owner tells me the same garage had none yesterday so will run out quickly, naturally price hiked to 1.289 euro. Noticed a few modern cars abandoned at roadsides guessing out of fuel and hgv traffic very scarce.
Appears we got back just in time(y)

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Hope they get it sorted by middle of June when 80000+ British fans cross the channel on their annual pilgrimage to Le Mans.

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Currently holed up on a very nice site just outside Bayeux. Most petrol stations(that we've seen) around here have tape across the entrance suggesting they've run out. A fuel station in Bayeux on Le Bypass had lorries blocking the entrance.

On our way down from Brevedent yesterday we came via peage, and could only get €20 of fuel at the services.

Not going anywhere until Saturday, but have over half a tank (about 50l), so have around 550km range. Fingers crossed but will top up when the opportunity arises..

First time in France in MH and although very MH friendly, am pissed off by the kerfuffle ....

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not sure what the problem is with the French. The bloody place closes down from saturday afternoon until monday morning (public holidays allowing). And unless you are a baker or flower seller (who make up their doss time during the week) lifes a beach.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
its just been on the 6 oclock news,they are saying that 7 out of 8 refinerys have been blockaded ,the french gov is saying that they have plenty of fuel in reserve ,footage on TV says different

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Moved today from Montagne sur gironde to Duras.Filled up on way qith no problem.All petrol stations passed were open and no sign of queues.
Cheers
Bernie

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have driven 200 miles from Millau up A75 to Clermont FD and then A71 towards Paris but now on an aire at Moulins, filled up twice just because we could and saw no problems but the garage in Moulins seems to be of of most grades this afternoon.

Hopefully we have enough to get into Belgium, it not often that I look forward to crossing into Belgium.

Martin

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We're in Calais now, some stations we passed from Le Crotoy were open but we noticed many had no diesel.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
its just been on the 6 oclock news,they are saying that 7 out of 8 refinerys have been blockaded ,the french gov is saying that they have plenty of fuel in reserve ,footage on TV says different

What good is a reserve if you can't transport it?

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
A26 through Reims, down to Dijon, Lyon, Nimes and along coast to Narbonne. Fuelled up just north of Reims then again Dijon and Nimes. Didn't see any queues at any fuel stations and no problems at all, no havoc, nothing different to usual
Same here below Rochefort, filled right up no queue only restrictions was no jerry cans..

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Is there any problems re fuel in Belgium or is this a French problem I've cancelled my crossing from Portsmouth on Saturday as we were only over for a week and really could not be bothered with all the hassle. Just amended to another crossing late July. Now thinking of alternative,tunnel and turn left maybe an option

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
This is just in France. It is due to the unions disagreeing with the proposed legislation to the labour laws (which need updating to be frank, too complicated and costly for employers). Unfortunately it is affecting the whole country because staff at all eight refineries have voted for action. It's a real pain.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Fuel stations in Narbonne all have fuel including diesel, just filled up smart car with unleaded and no queues. Other cars were filling up with diesel with no problems.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If Hollande wants UK to stay in the EU, the last thing he needs is thousands of pissed off British holidaymakers a couple of weeks before the referendum - this could get interesting.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Oh no

We were supposed to be travelling on Friday morning to Soulac.

I am absolutely gutted, but I just can't risk getting stranded with 3 kids and a medical condition :cry::cry:

Going to try and contact my insurance tomorrow to see where we stand if I cancel but I'm not holding out much hope to be honest.

Now to try and find somewhere in the UK oh and we've got to break it to the kids :cry:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were crossing to Dunkirk last weekend in June and will land with full tanks and stay within 200 miles if they are still buggering about.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The problem is not only in the north. Drove down to Toulouse from the Lot yesterday (and back of course) and a number of filling stations have closed off some pumps. Queues at stations which are normally near empty so the media has done a good job causing panic. IMHO there is plenty of fuel but it's in full to the brim tanks.

Deleted User
The problem is not only in the north. Drove down to Toulouse from the Lot yesterday (and back of course) and a number of filling stations have closed off some pumps. Queues at stations which are normally near empty so the media has done a good job causing panic. IMHO there is plenty of fuel but it's in full to the brim tanks.

Have you not done the same? With the present uncertainty I think most would.

I was in France over a week before these shortages started but never bothered re filling my 120L tank until last Tuesday when the queues started and I hate queuing so didn't bother but saw lots of people filling containers.

I have since obtained 20L which will enable me to potter around and reach Roscoff in July so I won't be queuing again:)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Current events are also a lesson in the first and most important rule of economics - the law of supply and demand. The price locally is up to €1.15 today though no queues or restrictions on how much.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
On our way to Dunkirk leaving Germany Friday
. Will fill up as diesel is €1.06 and fill a 20ltr can. Will also fill up in Belgium just before ferry. With all cans filled up will give us enough fuel to get to Devon and back in 3 weeks time. Wont use van much during kids holiday time and fill up again when we go back to France 1st September.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back