Fuel Prices - YOU Can Make a Difference (1 Viewer)

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Everyone,

This is so important I had to post it.........

Putting aside the debate concerning tax on fuel, there is now a way we can force a fuel price cut - read on....

In the past there have been fuel protests which have produced very limited results - now there is talk of further marches and drive-slows etc.

BUT, there is another way - a much easier way which doesn't involve standing outside on freezing cold days.

I read this on another forum and feel it should be posted anywhere you can - here goes....

We are paying £1+ a litre in many areas now.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers.

With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY fuel from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any fuel, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices,the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP).

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!!

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 80p a LITRE RANGE.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.

--
Carly Henshall
Assistant Conveyancer
EDC Lord & Co Solicitors
Tel: 020 8848 9988
chenshall@edclord.com
www.edclord.co.uk

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Easier said than done here.

We have one petrol station in the town............Esso.
The next nearest town (Stow on the Wold) also has one petrol station ............you've guessed it........BP! :Doh: :cry:

I would need to drive approx 8 miles to find an alternative, a small independent charging more than Esso & BP :Angry:.......and my nearest Tesco, Morrisons or Asda is approx 20 miles away! :shout: :shout:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi 80p dream on, fuel duty is 50.35 vat is about 15p that's 65p to the government alone, then refining costs, reckoned to be the lowest in Europe at about 25p, add that up and you get 90p. So unless they intend to lose 10p per litre. I don't think so.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Your right Olley, its the Governments "take" that needs to be reduced. Has this government ever lowered a tax without putting another up so that their overall take increases? That said, I reckon we have a leader with a weaker resolve than any for many a year, so some form of direct action by truckers/farmers could make him think about it. But to be honest, unless the direct action has the passion and commitment of their French counterparts, a snowball in hell has a better chance of making a difference.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Jim,

Totally agree with you, but the problem is in this country we sit back and take all they throw at us. So in many ways we are guilty of putting no pressure on our so called Leaders.

D

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi look at the position with LPG. Fuel duty 16p Vat about 9p, refining cost Zilch. As I understand it, you get LPG as a by product of refining petrol. Say 2p for transport that leaves 18pl profit. I might be laughing as I fill up, but I am being stitched up more than you.

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Got a distributor that does LPG in Cardiff 40 miles away :Doh::cry:Cardiff Gas who does it at 45p a litre but you can buy a 24 hour top up card with £50 credit needed that give you 3.5p discount per litre.

Why so bloody far away.:cry::cry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Got a distributor that does LPG in Cardiff 40 miles away :Doh::cry:Cardiff Gas who does it at 45p a litre but you can buy a 24 hour top up card with £50 credit needed that give you 3.5p discount per litre.

Why so bloody far away.:cry::cry:

You need a BIG storage tank John.:thumb:

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sorry guys but this is just plain wrong. Esso (Exxon/Mobil) and BP are NOT the same company and never have been (maybe the confusion comes from the fact that BP did have a brief tie-up with Mobil in the UK several years ago).

In reality it's the 60-odd percent fuel tax that's the biggest problem with UK fuel prices, along with the rising price of a barrel of crude on world markets which is currently at an all-time high.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
<snip>As I understand it, you get LPG as a by product of refining petrol. <snip>
Some years ago ICI used to sell petrol which was a by-product of their chemical refining on Tees-side. It was never cheaper than any other petrol.

As regards the tax element. If we believe that it is too high then we need to put forward the alternative way(s) by which we would prefer to make up the shortfall created by any reduction. Those ways could be other taxes and/or redcutions in spending but would have to be accompanied by figures to carry any weight.

Graham

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Those ways could be other taxes and/or redcutions in spending but would have to be accompanied by figures to carry any weight.

Graham

Simple, stop paying people not to work.

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the question was asked how to make up any shortfall in taxation if the fuel tax was reduced, and that was my answer.

Olley

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi the question was asked how to make up any shortfall in taxation if the fuel tax was reduced, and that was my answer.

Olley

The other point I made, though, was that suggestions need to be accompanied by figures to carry any weight.

I don't know how much would be saved by not "paying people not to work" but unless it could be shown that it would balance any fuel tax reduiction then any government would probabkly not even consider it.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Reducing tax on fuel is a non starter, it would only encourage more travel, more co2 , more congestion..

However, if we need more tax to offset future price hikes I submit the following candidates :

Alcohol
Tobacco
Non essential services.

To save tax payers money:

Stop supporting economic migrants
Cut Benefits to unemployed single people

Fuel is not expensive if you compare it to a pint of milk or a pint of beer.. no one risked their life milking a cow or brewing an ale... :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How about making all those foreign lorries coming in at Dover with double/triple tanks full of cheap fuel, pay the difference in tax. They really do put the pressure on our own hauliers who have to pay full wack. Suzy was only telling me about this the other day. It does seem a little unfair.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Problem is, Jim, the government would not stop at foreign lorry drivers! Show me the RVer who does not fill up before returning to the UK, or for that matter the LPG tank that is not full before coming the other way. :Eeek:

The government will not reduce taxes, especially as this comes under the environmental banner. The only thing we can do is to buy as much as we can from supermarkets in the UK when we are on the move, and stock up from whichever country is cheapest as we travel in Europe. ::bigsmile:

Just for the record, diesel in France seems to be catching up with UK prices - not sure why, but at least its still that bit cheaper, though LPG is more expensive than UK.:cry:

Bob and Di

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back