Fuel Prices: What price is your 'tipping' point ? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Just being doing some sums. Lets say Diesel is now £1.40 compared to £1.20 a litre last year. If you do around 5000 miles a year in the van it would have cost you just over £1200 last year and now £1400. Its not exactly crippling when you look at it that way (unless my sums are wrong)

I remember a couple of years ago it going up but then it went back down again. Perhaps this will happen again. I cant see it spiraling out of control. The government will have to do something or people just wont use their vehicles.

I reckon it would have to go up a heck of a lot for me to stop motorhoming as its still a cheap way of having a long trip. Expensive for a weekend but if you dont use campsites (and we dont) then I think its pretty cost effective. We have a scooter though as well so that makes a difference as we dont need to use the van as much when we arrive at a destination.

Its good to keep it in perspective. personally I,ve cracked the problem, I used to fill up when the tank was quarter full, now I fill up up when its half full and it costs the same.

spongy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used to fill up when the tank was quarter full, now I fill up up when its half full and it costs the same.

spongy

better idea...

put a couple of house bricks in the tank.. works for toilet cisterns .. :winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just got back from a day out, left home @ 7am had breakfast at South-end-on-sea, a look around Waitrose then a walk down the pier and back at home by 3pm.
Most enjoyable day. Total distance travaled today was 140 miles.
Just to put it into perspective I did a quick calculation,to get an idea of how much this trip would cost in fuel alone for a variety of motor homes @ £6.5 per gal..
10 mpg = £91 :sorry2:
15 mpg = £60
20 mpg = £45.5
25 mpg = £ 36.4
30 mpg = £ 30.5
35 mpg = £ 26
40 mpg = £22.
44.3 mpg ::bigsmile: = £20 I think this is excellent value:youbetcha:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just got back from a day out, left home @ 7am had breakfast at South-end-on-sea, a look around Waitrose then a walk down the pier and back at home by 3pm.
Just to put it into perspective I did a quick calculation,to get an idea of how much this trip would cost in fuel alone for a variety of motor homes @ £6.5 per gal..
15 mpg = £60
20 mpg = £45.5
25 mpg = £ 36.4
30 mpg = £ 30.5
35 mpg = £ 26
40 mpg = £22.

Puts it into perspective... glad you had a nice day out and time to reflect on the cost :roflmto:

and using your figures, pence per mile (rounded)

10 mpg = 65p
15 mpg = 43p
20 mpg = 32.5p
25 mpg = 26p
30 mpg = 22p
35 mpg = 18.5p
40 mpg = 16p
44.3 mpg = 14p

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There you go Jim 18 to 25p a mile in a PVC :thumb: cheap as chips
terry

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
15 mpg = £60
20 mpg = £45.5
25 mpg = £ 36.4
30 mpg = £ 30.5
35 mpg = £ 26
40 mpg = £22.

We have to ask Buttons, why you put the smilie 'I'm sorry' on the post. You don't have to feel sorry for us that are prepared to run a vehicle getting less mpg than you. We made an educated choice on the vehicle we use, no doubt the same as you did. A smaller outfit would not be suitable for what we want to do with it. What will be will be, we live for today. We have been through this escalated fuel price stuff before (at least it's not rationed now) and we certainly aren't going to worry ourselves about it, life is too short.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There you go Jim 18 to 25p a mile in a PVC :thumb: cheap as chips
terry

Yes, but that is at today's fuel prices Terry

... say fuel goes up to £2 per liter / £9 per gal .. ?
hopefully not, but not inconceivable .. some analysts are even talking £4 per liter :Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, but that is at today's fuel prices Terry

... say fuel goes up to £2 per liter / £9 per gal .. ?
hopefully not, but not inconceivable .. some analysts are even talking £4 per liter :Eeek:

Yes and some are saying the world will end in 2012 , if you all keep worrying you will end up with ulcers. :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
At some stage it may come to me making a decision just to run one vehicle and if it does I don't know which to be honest :thumb:The van is cheaper to insure and returns better mpg so logically I keep the van ::bigsmile: but the car is more convenient to use daily :Doh:

While you are in maths mode Jim How about the Honda how many mpg and how much to insure compared to say the van at say 25 mpg running around and 30 plus on a long trip with 250 / 300 insurance ? but you have to for go the convenience of the car and also get the weeks / weekends away ?How does that add up for you ?:winky:
terry

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I need my car but gone are they day's when I use to go for a run for pleasure.

In my village a meat van, veg van, fizz van, milk man still come and the older folk support them but their days are numbered.

Was thinking though the window cleaner charges £7 a house and does at least 10 houses in a morning (£70) not bad for a ladder and bucket and the will to work.

£7 is great value.

Ours cost £16 at last years prices, but window cleaner has now retired. Probably with lots of dosh.

Think I may take up window cleaning:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
£7 is great value.

Ours cost £16 at last years prices, but window cleaner has now retired. Probably with lots of dosh.

Think I may take up window cleaning:thumb:

I only have a modest house in Wales and not a mansion in Ilfracombe :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am a tight Yorkshire git £4 :thumb:When he tried to put it up 6 mths ago to £5 I told him where to go and do my own :ROFLMAO:
terry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I am a tight Yorkshire git £4 :thumb:When he tried to put it up 6 mths ago to £5 I told him where to go and do my own :ROFLMAO:
terry

I have to admit mine have not been done for a while, the car ain't had a £5 wash either this years.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I might be a tight Yorkshire git too, although I'm a lady, but when we moved to Yorkshire from London 22 years ago, the window-cleaning charge was £4.50 and now it's £5. I now feel we have been ripped off for many years but hey ho. At least our window cleaner was able to emigrate to Canada with a fortune in his bank account. Now talking about the cost of fuel and our MHs and so on, as far as I'm concerned, the house is for the kids, the bank account is ours and I'll enjoy it while I can. We sit here through the cold winter months looking forward to the summer when we can go away again and I'm happy to spend whatever is necessary to do that, but I would never remortgage or take the equity from the house or whatever. Don't forget that £1,000 this year will be worth £500 in a couple of years time so it is best used now while we are getting full value. My theory is also that by the time I'm 80 (if I'm lucky) my needs won't be so great so I won't need as much to live on. Also, Sandy is 73 and I'm 61 so I reckon we may only have another 5 years MH ing in front of us and memories are worth a fortune. Although last year was our first MHing in Europe, I can remember all the places we have been to and so many of the conversations we've had and people we've met. That was worth a fortune. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
While you are in maths mode Jim How about the Honda how many mpg and how much to insure compared to say the van at say 25 mpg running around and 30 plus on a long trip with 250 / 300 insurance ? but you have to for go the convenience of the car and also get the weeks / weekends away ?How does that add up for you ?:winky:
terry

Honda does between 28 and 30 mpg running about .. long run probably 34 -35mpg , so not great .. I would have preferred a diesel.. but scarer than hen's teeth.. Insurance this year will be around £220 .

I bought it for several reasons: It's a Honda; good load area for dog and carrying camping gear; 4x4 useful for muddy sites and winter ( we live in the sticks, no gritters ); I love driving it, nice high driving position, quiet and very comfortable; build quality is superb, one of the best cars I've owned.. and most importantly, Jan said that's what she wanted :roflmto:

Had it just over a year, done 10k miles and apart from filling the screen wash.. done nothing else.. not used a drop of oil.. annual service + MOT was £130 at Honda main dealer.

I would hate to sell it and wouldn't exchange for a PVC .. but can't really afford or justify two vehicles, so may buy a small caravan for w/e breaks and school holiday trips.. or just keep on camping :Smile:

We only have £xx to spend on fuel, as price rises, we do less miles .... and that will also apply to trips and days out . :Sad:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I only have a modest house in Wales and not a mansion in Ilfracombe :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi John

Ours is not a mansion in Ilfracombe, but we can see Wales from here.:winky:::bigsmile:

Just a modest 3 bedroom bungalow.

We are waiting for the long awaited ferry from Ilfracombe to Swansea, then we will pay you a visit, not sure if it will come off now.
Been on the cards for years.

Devon prices:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I want to travel now as with my health deteriorating if I don't do it now never will. I am really gutted that just as life sorts itself out another mountain appears :Doh: Never really done any wildcamping as after we were robbed Irina was totally against it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have to ask Buttons, why you put the smilie 'I'm sorry' on the post. You don't have to feel sorry for us that are prepared to run a vehicle getting less mpg than you. We made an educated choice on the vehicle we use, no doubt the same as you did. A smaller outfit would not be suitable for what we want to do with it. What will be will be, we live for today. We have been through this escalated fuel price stuff before (at least it's not rationed now) and we certainly aren't going to worry ourselves about it, life is too short.Nigel and Pamala

Not sorry for you personally Nigel and Pamala just my apology for bringing it to your attentions that when you now see the one mile to your exit sign on the motorway, you will know that it's going to cost you another 65p to reach it.:winky:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wish I could do what I shall call "Buttons MPG".

I thought it was 55 mpg last month but there you go

Perhaps that's inflation:RollEyes:

For me I have dropped my gas guzzling Jag and bought a Megane which today was doing 55 mpg on the M1.

As for the MH I don't know. It is getting v expensive so it will limit what I do at weekends. Perhaps keep my trips short.

Having said that I won't be going to Southend on Sea anytime soon.

I think I would rather sell the van than call that a day out tbh.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Mrs D has a diesel Nissan Micra which at 60 mph on the motorway will average over 80mpg. Im thinking of taking the engine out and putting it in the van. What do you reckon? ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Brill idea:thumb: don't forget you need the M/H engine for the Nissan though :Doh:
terry

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
As one of the many fulltimers on here fuel costs are as important to me as a mortage rate hike is to many others - it has a severe impact on my chosen life style - being on a pension that is not going to change my income is fixed. One of the biggest problems as I see it ( this is not a political point just the way I see it) progressive governments have spent more time worrying about building new houses any where than providing new jobs in the area where the housing is being built - I suspect some of this is based around the fact that if people have to drive to work that is guaranteed income bearing in mind that for every 3p the government roughly take 2p . They state that people should use public transport however they forget that many of the small companies that started local routes have been taken over by larger firms who in the current climate have decided that these local routes have to go to save the larger routes. Sooooo where we are parked up at the moment if I want go to the nearest town then I have to walk / drive 2 miles then find somewhere park then catch a bus - yes I have a bus pass but having started the vehicle I may as well drive the other 3 miles and park in one of the Supermarket car parks which are free.

What are we doing to save - getting groceries delivered more often - driving a bit slower not that we drove fast anyway - bulking journeys up so we may have 'just popped up the shops' but now we look carefully to see if it can be left until another day with more than one purpose. Although we have the 5'er which we live in we have bought a very small caravan for odd trips when we need to return to base the difference in fuel consumption is 10 miles to the gallon - when we go away with the 5'er the controlling factor will be can we stay away cheaper than going back to base ie going from rally to rally - certainly we can see one point in May / june where we will stay on the road for 6 weeks - same as Aug / Sept cost of a CL is less than fuel.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I am intending to[STRIKE] sell[/STRIKE] the RV but not going to give it away because of the current fuel price panics.

Interesting to see how this all pans out.

As much as I loved travelling in my RV I'm so glad I sold them when I did::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

We are waiting for the long awaited ferry from Ilfracombe to Swansea, then we will pay you a visit, not sure if it will come off now.
Been on the cards for years.

Severn Link? I haven't seen any update since the middle of last year, when they announced that the catamarans were ready, but there were no landing facilities at Swansea....which is a bit of a snag.

9 months without any kind of update on their website doesn't look good. If it ever does go ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if the destination is switched and Cardiff benefits again.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wish I could do what I shall call "Buttons MPG".
I thought it was 55 mpg last month but there you go
Perhaps that's inflation

For me I have dropped my gas guzzling Jag and bought a Megane which today was doing 55 mpg on the M1.
As for the MH I don't know. It is getting v expensive so it will limit what I do at weekends. Perhaps keep my trips short.
Having said that I won't be going to Southend on Sea anytime soon.
I think I would rather sell the van than call that a day out tbh

Not sure what your idea of a good day out is treacle but where else within 70 miles of your driveway could you eat an excellent breakfast alfresco in March then stroll 3 miles in brilliant sunshine along a pier with nothing but sea below you and on all sides. I would be very greatful if you could let me know so I could give it a try. :thanks2:

Only managed 27 mpg today in the Nissan but attached a reminder just how good the cali is.:thumb:

Attachments

• lakes trip 022.jpg
    lakes trip 022.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 39

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Not sorry for you personally Nigel and Pamala just my apology for bringing it to your attentions that when you now see the one mile to your exit sign on the motorway, you will know that it's going to cost you another 65p to reach it.:winky:

That sorry was aimed at anyone who gets 10mpg - we actually get 17/20mpg towing our fifth wheel with our Dodge Ram and 24/28mpg solo, we knew what our fuel consumption was going to be when we bought them, so we accept and live around the present situation as we do with all the other increases, ie electric, gas, food etc. etc. and we are sure that the majority that do get 10mpg also accept the situation without worrying all the time, as we said life is too short. You've only got to cut out a few unneccessary journeys to counteract the fuel price increase.:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Nigel and Pamala

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
On a positive note...it's almost a year since I was on the south coast, lovely weather, and not only was the sky blue but it was empty and peaceful...

...whatever else is making motoring more difficult these days, we can probably rule out volcanic ash ruining our trips :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure what your idea of a good day out is treacle but where else within 70 miles of your driveway could you eat an excellent breakfast alfresco in March then stroll 3 miles in brilliant sunshine along a pier with nothing but sea below you and on all sides. I would be very greatful if you could let me know so I could give it a try. :thanks2:

Only managed 27 mpg today in the Nissan but attached a reminder just how good the cali is.:thumb:

You could try Broadstairs. Quite pleasant at this time of the year.

I would think it's closer to you than Sarfend but not sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back