Fuel Prices: What price is your 'tipping' point ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Mar 12, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes, yet another thread on fuel costs I here you mutter... but a specific question ...

We now find it hard enough just running a car .. and have decided not to buy another motorhome..
    We were contemplating a smallish caravan.. but even that is looking less likely as fuel costs soar .. so our tipping point has been reached at £6 per gallon... :Sad:

So..

At what price per gallon will you say enough is enough then either sell and give up motorhoming, or downsize ? 6,7,8,9,10 pounds ... or more per gallon ?

If you are wealthy, you may say never.. but I suspect there are few in that fortunate position.

2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I need my car but gone are they day's when I use to go for a run for pleasure.

In my village a meat van, veg van, fizz van, milk man still come and the older folk support them but their days are numbered.

Was thinking though the window cleaner charges £7 a house and does at least 10 houses in a morning (£70) not bad for a ladder and bucket and the will to work.

3. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Hi Jim

I think you should make this a poll to get a good feedback. (might be an idea to use £ per ltr rather than per gallon as it does get a bit confusing trying to convert!!)

For what its worth the cost of fuel is what it is, people will always find ways of filling up if thats what they want to do.

I think most people who have just spend tens of thousands of pounds on a motorhome (or have similar amounts tied up in existing vehicles) must have taken stock of running costs when they bought it and decided it was worth the investment. I think if you cant afford to run it, as and when you want to, most people would sell rather than having it sat loosing thousands of pounds a year doing nothing.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Already reached :Rofl1: but I will not be changing the car or van :Rofl1: The wife will not let me :Doh::cry:The car does not do many mpg but it does not go far these days:BigGrin: and the van does not matter as we are on holiday :thumb: and as such do not really care about costs :Eeek: just about chilling out.:thumb: I even though about making bio diesel but when I asked about chip oil he told me he has posh filters in the fryers and he only ever tops up with fresh veg oil and never has to change it :cry:
    terry

5. scotjimland

Good idea dazzer.. should have thought of that, tried to edit but can't add a poll now.

Us old fartes still think in gallons and pounds .. :Laughing:

6. scotjimland

Hi Terry
    so, even if it reaches £10 per gallon, ( £2.22 per liter for you young uns :Laughing:) you will still keep it .. ? There must be a point when you say .. no, enough is enough. ?

7. scotjimland

Me too John ... every journey must have more than one purpose..

but what about future plans for a Euro van ?

when would you say no, I can't afford the fuel ?

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

already reached my limit and nothing to economise on i will keep the van until april next year then if no improvement in prices or circumstances will sell and hang up my road map.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Cannot say that Jim-- I remember ten bob a gallon :Rofl1: so you speak my language :Wink: The truck/car was the last vehicle my son bought for me before he died and as such will be run into the ground before we part with it :Sad: and the van in my mind does not owe us anything from the use previously so throwing fuel in it is just about all it costs and the freedom that allows us is worth paying for.
    terry

10. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Interesting Jim, we have noticed that a couple of years ago motorhomers were coming to stay from all over the country but it seems this year already a pattern is forming our customers are coming from mostly South Wales. Fuel prices have taken their toll and customers are not travelling so far.

11. Road Runner

What really upsets me is I am finally free to do things now I am going to be priced out of touring.

12. lorger

lorger Funster

Good question Jim id love to say never as i love going away in mh but i do suppose there will come a time when we say we cant afford it but then how will we go on holiday as flights will be a lot more expensive i know they dont use petrol but they will be higher.

When we bought the mh we sold my car and managed with Lorraine's but last sept i bought my self a new civic so have 2 cars again but i also have a 50cc scooter that i use for going to work and the golf course Lors car hasn't moved this year and tax up end of month so its going up for sale. If anyone is looking for a ford puma 1.4 s reg with only 57k on clock let me know.

My scooter does 100mpg i filled it up the other day thats the second time this year. £15 to tax and £60 for insurance so money we save with that will pay the extra for mh.

Gerry

13. scotjimland

Hi

thanks, I think this pattern will be repeated around the country..

Most folks ( except Terry :Laughing: ) only have so much to spend on fuel so will travel less miles each year, take fewer and shorter trips until they get to the 'tipping' point where they consider it is no longer worth paying VED, Insurance, MOT etc etc. to keep it on the road.. :Sad:

14. Road Runner

Guess Jim you did your travelling at the right time.:Wink:

15. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I remember two stroke 7 and 9d a gallon:thumb:

16. scotjimland

Hi Gerry

yes, you are quite correct, air travel is already becoming more expensive ..

We may go back to the 50s where and annual holiday was a trip to the coast by bus or train ..It was only in the 60s that cheap package holidays arrived on the scene ..
    In the 50s and 60 my dad took us away camping with a motorcycle combination, three days to get to Cornwall.. an epic journey

Holidays abroad could become a thing of the past for many :Sad:

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If we do reach a tipping point it will be based on the totality of VED, Insurance, MOT etc and not just fuel. That would also be in the context of overall income and expenditure.

Like Gerry, we traded in one of the two cars we owned when we bought our motorhome and did so having considered other options for holidays. We bought a motorhome, rather than a caravan, because neither of us fancied towing (having never done it). However, should a tipping point be reached, the option of selling the motorhome and buying a caravan (possibly replacing the car at the same time if we needed a larger one as a tow car) is one we would explore rather than just get rid of the motorhome.

18. aba

aba

i think that businesses will suffer more first as the people that are prepared to work for their measly wages stop traveling as far to work.
    i personally run a fiat cinqucento that does quite good on fuel but still costs me £40 per week and that only goes to and from work.
    as we are full timing now i have been thinking of getting rid of the car move the motorhome closer to work and walk or cycle.
    though i feel there could be many more motorhome and caravan owners looking to do the same.
    especially when the fuel bill to commute to work costs more than return trip in the motorhome and 4 nights on a CL.
    i know its different for the retired and people that are unable to work with fixed low income and ever increasing outgoings but in my case the car will be the first to go.

19. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

could be well all have to go back to steam?

how many miles to the tree!!!!!

20. scotjimland

Yes, I agree Graham, but the 'one off' annual payments can be saved for.. or even cut down to 6 months tax and insurance.
    Fuel on the other hand is the most visible and rising almost daily. It hits the wallet hard every time we fill up ..