Fuel consumption now worked out exactly .

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Jul 20, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I was a bit worried as the new van having a real automatic gearbox might have just worked out a bit too thirsty. I filled it up to the top and we set off for Ireland filled up over there several time and just before coming back on the Ferry. I have today just filled it to the same point and the total consumption divide by the actual mileage worked out to 25.42 miles to the gallon or as I saw it one inch in metric.
    This was a good spread of use from Motorways up and down to Heysham city driving in Dublin and others Irish motorways A roads, smaller rural roads and some really small steep bits around the Wild Atlantic Way. So it got it all and that is the result but I added 9 litres of Adblue as well.
    I am reasonable happy with that as I thought the gearbox might drop it to low twentyish, but because it has 7 gears in it there is virtually no torquing and waste of power, it just changes up or down as needed, and it is so easy to drive, unlike my old Transit which used to knacker my knee in stop start traffic.
    Happyish bunny, but It might improve with a few more miles on it as it has now only got 2450 miles on it. One more thing is there is absolutely NO SOOT AT ALL inside the exhaust pipe, it is completely clean, My 2006 Tranny would have had a load of loose soot up the exhaust, so these new technologies do work

• Like Like x 5
  2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Not bad, we get a smidge over 23mpg out of our old girl, but she's very heavy, and about as aerodynamic as a parachute! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I normally get about 22/23 mpg, but driving up from Lorraine to north coast (330miles) with a bit of trim loose on the back I stuck to 55mph all the way including motorway and got 26mpg ( an increase of around 14%). It didn't seem to take much longer either. I think I might take things a bit easier in future.

• Like Like x 2
  4. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Hi Graham

We get 25 and a bit too, with almost identical total milage!

Having said that, on a run back from Shropshire last Friday, we got 9.8 L per 100km which is just over 28 mpg!

5. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Over the last 3,000 miles my B564 has averaged 26 mpg.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I think that it is a reasonable figure bearing in mind when I got my first car a 1962 997cc Ford Anglia, it was giving me about 30 on a run and top speed of 72mph. Things have moved on since then My A55 van was about 25mpg at 45 mph average that was horrendous even at the price fuel was then 5/- a GALLON 0r 25p per 4.5 litres. I was earning £7=10s a week then.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

As a comparison my 4.2T using a Mercedes 5 speed auto box does 19 mpg. Your mpg is look good - maybe I should upgrade my Moho.

8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Our Autosleeper used to average just over 27mpg with the Euro 5 engine. Our tailpipe was shiny inside too with not even a hint of soot.
    On the other hand, our new 7.5 ton van does 15mpg and issues a great belch of black smoke when it starts.
    Brilliant!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Flook

Flook Funster

I was earning 1/6d an hour = about £3 per week in 1962/3

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Your all kidding yer sen's, in this heat yer can only get half the fuel in, due to expansion
    your all runnin aboot 11mpg:rofl:

11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

So has our Camp 64, even with the Luton acting as a sail.

• Funny Funny x 1