miket678

Free Member
Nov 27, 2008
Bedworth, Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, I have just purchased a new Autoroller 700 at the NEC show. My last van was an Elddis based on a Peugeot Boxer 2.5ltr TD. With that van I was getting 26/27mpg average all the time. The Autoroller is a Ford transit base, 2.4ltr Duratorq engine which everyone has told me was very economical and very powerful. Well I have covered just 600 miles so far and whilst I agree that the torque on the engoine is awsome, I am very dissappointed with consumption. The computer told me I had got 19,2mpg and when I physically checked by mileage versus fillup, I got 20.1mpg. This is obviously with gentle driving at 60mph. (running in) Either way, I am dissappointed, particularly in the present economic situation. Has anyone any experience of this engine and normal consumption. I would expect a bit of tightness in a new engine but not to this extent.:cry:
Other than this, I am delighted with the van. Bedding is just what I was looking for and the layout is spot on. It is not the most luxurious interior but it is practical and comfortable.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
Haven't got either but a new diesel engine will need to do several thousand miles before bedding in and returning it's best performance and economy.. cruising at a constant speed isn't the best way to 'run in'

The following article explains better..
There is an increasing trend towards buying diesel cars however some of the advice that is around is dangerous to say the least. Diesel cars are new to many dealer sales staff and I've heard them giving running in advice to customers that will seriously shorten the life and adversely affect the performance of the diesel cars that they are selling. This is particularly true for the new generation of hi-tech engines with modern turbochargers. It's not the fault of the sales staff...they just don't know any better.

One of the reasons that diesel engines outlast petrol engines is that the diesel combustion process is kinder to cylinder walls that that of the petrol engine process. This means that in the early life of the engine when the rings are bedding in it's easy to glaze the cylinder walls. The worst treatment that you can give your new engine is to run it at constant high revs...for example on a freeway or on long, straight, flat country roads until the rings have had a chance to bed in. Ironically, city driving is excellent for running in an engine as it gives exactly the opposite conditions...as long as the engine and particularly the oil gets up to full working temperatures for a reasonably sustained period. Running to the shops or taking the kids to the local school and then shutting down is a killer. Diesels thrive on hard work and long periods of running.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I had 2 new KIA Sorento diesels one after the other and supposed to do 34 combined with 46 something at 56 mpg.

never did much more than 21/23.

Got an old Citroen ZX non turbo diesel as a runaround and it does nearer 50 mpg however I drive it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
yeah, I would say ask the question after another 10-15 k get it all nice and loose

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
mpg

hi i have a 600g, check your tyre pressures mine were only 50psi when i picked up the van, since inflated to 70psi. whilst on the continent doing 3,000 miles i averaged 25.01 mpg, and improving all the time.:roflmto:

ceegee

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 months
love my rollerteam

bought my 600 in december only done about 2000 miles done tyre pressures tried driving gently never had more than 22 normaly about20.5 i dont look at the computor anymore i just enjoy my motor home with mrs and dog :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
fuel consumptoion will improve considerably when the engine gets a bit of "slack" on it.
its not just the engine either....gearbox, final drive, wheel bearings, even things like alternator, power steering and water pump bearings will be a bit tight as yet.

everything will still be very tight and will suck power so use more fuel.
keep checking over the next few thousand miles and see it improve.:thumb:

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I have the 2.2 130 front wheel drive Ford on low profile van, have now topped 15000miles and am now getting 30/35mpg. think yours has a luton so don't expect you to get that high, but don't expect a much higher mpg till you have run at least 10000miles. Mine started to improve after about 10000 so you have plenty of time yet.
As said by others check tyre pressures, then wait.

I find after trial and error motorway travel at 60/65 set on cruise control gives best results so expect you will have to find best speed the same way.

Happy travels

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had 2 new KIA Sorento diesels one after the other and supposed to do 34 combined with 46 something at 56 mpg.

never did much more than 21/23.

Got an old Citroen ZX non turbo diesel as a runaround and it does nearer 50 mpg however I drive it.

Kia diesels are notorious for heavy fuel consumption john.

our works Kia Sedona people carrier has a 2.9 turbo diesel and does 15mpg average while my ducato 2.8 turbo diesel does 25/26mpg at 3.85 tonne.

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi, I have just purchased a new Autoroller 700 at the NEC show. My last van was an Elddis based on a Peugeot Boxer 2.5ltr TD. With that van I was getting 26/27mpg average all the time.

My Renault 2.5 dci 150 bhp gave me an average around 30mpg on our recent 2,500 mile trip around France .The van itself has now covered less than 4,000mls:thumb:

johna

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I have the 600G, and are dissapointed with the mpg also, it was good to see your comment as I now know I am not alone. It has 7000 miles on it now, generally on average keeping it sensible between 50 - 60mph I return around 21mpg, once you go over 60mph the consumption drops quickly to around 19mpg, not very good, on a 1200mile round trip to France last year I only averaged 20mpg, but it was head winds all the way, which wont help. That said, as many people have already said, my mpg looks to be improving, and on a 100mile trip last wk end I returned 21 - 22 mpg. I am considering having her re-mapped, but the jury is still out on that at thr moment. Johna.

tomlav

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi, new poster here, we have recently bought an 09 700 with 10k on the clock. We have only used it 3 times on relativley short runs (100-200 miles). I have found that our first run gave 20 mpg, then 22 mpg for the second run then finally 25 mpg for the 3rd. I just put this down to learning how to drive the van properly. It just shows you how much different economy can be regarding driving styles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back