Fuel consumption - MPG (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hope this doesn't bring a tear to your eye......I have just filled up for $3.9per gal
Little wonder I have seen so many RVs on the road today.::bigsmile:
Now thats inflation for yer !!!!

thats $1.30 more than it was 5 years ago....and they were complaining then :Doh:

and dont forget...there are only 6 imperial pints to a US gallon, not 8 pints as here. :roflmto:

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Our old 1992 Hymer is giving us 30 mpg on our trip to Germany
::bigsmile:
Helga

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Our Fleetwood Flair weighs in at about 7 tonnes and has the Chevy 6.5 TD engine giving 190 BHP. We used to get about 15 MPG from our previous RV (measured over an extended trip in France last year) however this RV spends soooooooo much time in Travelworlds workshop that it is difficult to really know precise figures.
I did check it on one trip that we managed to actually make and found that the consumption was about 6 MPG (even though the brakes were definately not binding, were they Simon???) but we cannot tell you about fuel consumption at speeds over 55 MPH because it will not go faster than that unless you go downhill.
I fully intend to check this once we get the RV back from the Dark Star at Telford.

Keith

Blooming heck Kieth I need a service and remap on mine to improve fuel consuption......my revolution as loaded weighs in at 17 ton + my trailer 2.7 ton 400hp Cummins and I still return 9.5 and would expect when the lobs are done 10.5-12mpg.

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Blooming heck Kieth I need a service and remap on mine to improve fuel consuption......my revolution as loaded weighs in at 17 ton + my trailer 2.7 ton 400hp Cummins and I still return 9.5 and would expect when the lobs are done 10.5-12mpg.

All the best Rick
I don't think he's listening Rick.....that post is 4 1/2 years old....and Keith left the fold a few years ago now. :Doh:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
As so many motorhomes are plugged into a EHU 24/7, it`s about time they made them electric powered .

bullrush

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
gosport
Funster No
MH
Rapido c class
Exp
20 yrs
MPG

We have just got back from a 2K mile trip in France and averaged 28 mpg in our 2.8 Rapido driving at 60 mph in cruise controll, very pleased with that.
In the UK we can only manage to get 26 mpg.........strange

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It makes a big difference , motorway miles to run around miles :Smile:If I only used ours to travel to site and park up not moving again, I am sure our mpg would be mid 30s
Terry
Will do a quick comparison in a few weeks ie fill up on set off and fill up on arrival :thumb: instead of on return

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Engine remapping

I am interested in having this done, as a sometimes a car or motorbike on a trailer and would like to increase pulling power. Where are you and do you have a web site
cheers Peter

Good advice to speak to customers first hand about remapping as there are some companies offering cheap prices and just purchasing a 3rd hand map on the internet from anywhere in the world which is probably just a percentage increase on your existing map and not even designed for the motorhome market.All modifications done by boosters are in house manufactured by our own engineers and extensively tested by road and rolling road testing and tailored to exactly what the customer requires.If anybody would like contact no,s to speak to customers who have already had there vehicle remapped please contact me.Also we attend most of the motorhome shows and can carry out the work on site.
What you are putting into your ecu determines the way the engine runs,do not save a penny to cost you thousands.
Regards
Alex

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I keep a careful note of fuel consumption recording mileage, quantity, cost, and where we fuelled up. Two things are showing up in my records. Firstly, the van is over four years o;d now and has over 25000 on the clock, consumption is generally better now than when new. It appears to take around 15-20k miles to run the engine in properly, seems strange, but these are my figures.

Secondly, after doing 1200 miles in France this summer, arriving with a near empty tank, the consumption on french diesel is markedly better than on British diesel. I normally get between 30-31.5 mpg in the UK, in France this went up to 35 mpg. After filling up in the UK on our return my consumption increased back to normal levels.

I note that someone else has experienced improved mileage, is it just us or have others?

Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have just got back from a 2K mile trip in France and averaged 28 mpg in our 2.8 Rapido driving at 60 mph in cruise controll, very pleased with that.
In the UK we can only manage to get 26 mpg.........strange
France has some of the best roads in the world.....very smooth, well maintained with barely any potholes to avoid and comparatively few cars on the roads.

now look at our dismal road system.....potholes to avoid, rough unrepaired surfaces and motorways with all 6 lanes full to capacity..

no wonder you get better fuel consumption over there....you can go for miles and not change gear or brake.

here, if you aint braking for one thing its another

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
When in the UK we have to use Lucas UCL to get anywhere near the smoothness, quietness and consumption we do on French diesel... :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back