Fuel additives

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by yorkist, Oct 26, 2015.

1. yorkist

yorkist Read Only Funster

In connection with an EGR issue, have decided to buy a fuel additive. Looking at the reviews on the Halfords site (all of which relate to cars not motorhomes) people are very positive about the Millers oil products - probably the Diesel Power Ecomax product but there´s also a product by Forte - Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment. They are both about the same price, and probably do the same job - clean the injectors, reduce black smoke etc - just wondered if there was favourite amongst us Motorhomers? I was getting some heavy black smoke in 2nd-3rd gear changes but following advice I gave my Bessacarr a decent thrash and for now it´s visually better, but thought i´d give it some help since most driving is done around the 2k RPM mark.

2. BONZO

BONZO Funster

My autocruse had to go in for turbo not kicking in . Nothing wrong with turbo it's me not giving a thrash now and then I drive too slow .so give me some redx to put though. So from now on it gets a bit of stick. But nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

A lot of people recommend the Forte diesel treatment for cleaning out things. That, combined with the obligatory Italian tune up............

4. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I was recommended to use the Forte treatment by Geo of Pecks Hill Garage.
    I only use it once a year after an annual service.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

A neighbour of ours has been experiencing a number of issues with fuel, additives and his Freelander. His mechanic has advised him that additives in some fuels and in solutions that can be added to tanks are causing a number of issues with engines in newer vehicles.

6. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I used a combination of Wynns Clean Burn and Forte Turbo Cleaner earlier this year. They certainly cleaned up my emmissions.

7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I've had Soltron recommended after a friend in the trade, whose opinion I trust, had used it. I'm going to use it myself.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i use sparex soltron treatment ,or fuel set.
    plus add a few gallon of petrol occasionally in my 200 litre diesel tank.
    the last thing you need is diesel bug breading in your tank.

9. DuxDeluxe

Yes, but unless the fuel additives have a good biocide in them then they won't do anything about the bacteria.

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats the idea of soltron or fuel set. they do have them .
    mind we found a regular mix of petrol got rid of it in some trucks over the years .

11. Borderland

Borderland Funster

I had a problem with turbo causing vehicle to go into limp mode and this happened 6 times on a journey of 150 miles. I have since added 2 bottles of the Forte Turbo Cleaner and haven't had any problems over the last 1000 miles.

12. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Not excessively expensive either. On Amazon for £15.77 for 1 litre including P&P and that treats 200 litres of fuel. I will try this next time (before next MOT). :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Well I read this and thought it was some in-joke I've yet to catch up on ;)
    Anyway, like a good little Funster, I googled it - I'm gob-smacked!!! :eek:
    I knew I was pretty ignorant on all things mechanical but this seems WAY out there - never heard of it, wouldn't have thought it possible o_O
    Need to do more reading - how likely is it that I'll have a problem with it etc :unsure:

:) The things you learn on FUN :)

15. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Yes, it is very good.
    Tip...... To get emissions really low add 250ml to about 20 litres diesel and run it on that. The emissions regs in ROI are crazy strict and we use it to bring them down on older vehicles... works well.
    Run the vehicle on the recommended dilutions (200:1) afterwards and keeps EGR's/Turbos/Swirl flaps clean afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

There's a guy advertising just this near us, Terraclean I think it's called and he connects up to your fuel system and claims to give your engine and fuel system a really good clean out. Don't know if it's nationwide or not?

17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I generally fill up with Shell V Power Nitro+ Diesel..

not every fill as not always available.. but always look for the premium grade diesel whatever the make..

so, rather than using additives is this not a better solution ? (no pun intended)

• Like Like x 2
  19. DuxDeluxe

To be honest, it is fairly unlikely but bio fuels are more likely to suffer from this problem. It is caused by aerobic bacteria living in the oil water interface in the tank (and yes, your fuel tank will have traces of water) and I have only seen it once in vehicles - on an old horse box. I snaffled one of my bug testing kits from work and sure enough.....bugs. you can usually smell it as sulphur compounds are a by product. To be honest, I would forget all about it - it isn't going to happen to you any time soon (y)

Look on the bright side - the last ship I dealt with that had this problem we had to dispose of 4500 tonnes of bad fuel.

Exactly what I do, Jim - never a bad thing to give the bus a treat with some premium diesel - I tend to use it every third or fourth fill. The engine is designed and certified for the original bog standard fuel and should run for very many thousands of miles on it without any issues but the premium stuff has much more in the way of detergents and other additives and do help keep everything tip top(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

diesel bug can be transferred in many ways . just moisture in the air is enough . you only need a previous person to have put the pump spout in a tank with the bug.
    its very common in marina places , boats etc suffer more than vehicles . but have seen loads of vehicles with it . ford cargo trucks were leaving the factory it seemed with it in their tanks a few years ago.
    but have seen many cars and m,homes with it .
    at one time we used to buy a diesel bug killer off our local esso depot . but as i no longer have a diesel tank on site i dont buy that quantity these days .
    farm machinery suffer with it as well . leaving vehicles un used seems to encourage it.