Frozen meals (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
As I am the sole driver. cook, site set up man and carer for my wife who has progressive MS I make life as easy as possible for myself. I freeze some of our dinners and take them with us, remembering to defrost when we arrive on site. Some foods freeze better than others. When we used to eat potato, shepherds pie was known as mush or slush when it defrosted and was practically drinkable. I've now learnt not to overcook and that it's better to have a slight a la dente to maintain a bite. When on site I use a Remoska on an extension lead outside and compete with the BBQ's. A little cooking wine adds an enticing aroma. Bon Appetit.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'll happily hold my hands up to 'cooking' a mean frozen ready meal in the microwave!

They've really come on in recent years.

Well, the taste and look has, unsure about the healthiness of them still :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I'll happily hold my hands up to 'cooking' a mean frozen ready meal in the microwave!

They've really come on in recent years.

Well, the taste and look has, unsure about the healthiness of them still :LOL:
I hate ready meals, too much sugar and salt. That's why I cook my own ready meals.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We regularly freeze mash and don't have the issue of it turning to slush ... not sure why.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
me too, the opposite if anything, reheated in teh frying pan works a treat

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Good tip From Jamie oliver.for home made chilli ,curry etc.once cooked let it cool then place in freezer bags big enough to flatten down.I do this and get a lot more packs in the freezer.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Good tip From Jamie oliver.for home made chilli ,curry etc.once cooked let it cool then place in freezer bags big enough to flatten down.I do this and get a lot more packs in the freezer.

That's what my wife does.

But then she thinks the sun shines out of Jamie's ar**:D

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Grate ideas. That reminds me i need a grater for the cheese for great shepherds pie. Thanks.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We put the filled freezer bags in a plastic tub so form small blocks - just the right size for the motorhome freezer :)

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We put the filled freezer bags in a plastic tub so form small blocks - just the right size for the motorhome freezer :)
Great idea, I've been using tupperware boxes. Thanks for that.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Great idea, I've been using tupperware boxes. Thanks for that.
You are welcome - just a variation on the Jamie idea really. Only problem is once frozen & we go to remove the tub they are sometimes a bit jammed in but just leave for a few minutes at room temperature then they slide out fine ready to pop back in the freezer. We never have enough room in the freezer at home or the motorhome!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Freezing flat would mean quicker defrosting which is useful so will try that for our home freezer (y) but regular small blocks fit our motorhome freezer just right. Defrosting for 24 hours in the fridge help keeps the fridge cold - just have to remember to get one out!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
just cook up a hot pot or chunky veg soup-throw any veg in and meat if available, some dried herbs etc but not that critical -some mixed beans now available in tins-all can be done fresh as it were as most veggies store easily and cooked on the gas-easy peasy(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just remember to leave plenty of room in the fridge for beer and enough space in the freezer for one large can just in case you buy warm beer and need to drink it as an emergency.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I find those microwave rice and straight to wok noodles handy to keep in van.
Long shelf life, no special storage and warm up lovely just using a frying pan..(y)

Easy to add items to them or use as a side to other food...

Cheap as well if you get form places like Home Bargains, Aldi, Lidl etc...

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
As I am the sole driver. cook, site set up man and carer for my wife who has progressive MS I make life as easy as possible for myself. I freeze some of our dinners and take them with us, remembering to defrost when we arrive on site. Some foods freeze better than others. When we used to eat potato, shepherds pie was known as mush or slush when it defrosted and was practically drinkable. I've now learnt not to overcook and that it's better to have a slight a la dente to maintain a bite. When on site I use a Remoska on an extension lead outside and compete with the BBQ's. A little cooking wine adds an enticing aroma. Bon Appetit.
Iceland do mashed potato pellets
Put those on your pie they defrost and bake nicely

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Iceland do mashed potato pellets
Put those on your pie they defrost and bake nicely

We like that Iceland Bean Mix with Quinoa (a heap more beans than Quinoa)
padded out with Sliced or chopped Chicken Breast, an quick easy meal one pot too if you cook up the Chicken first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back