Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Anyone had the above replaced and if so can you give me an idea of cost in the UK. It is a Fiat 1999.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
From memory, I think I paid around £100 (maybe a little more) per wheel including labour.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
!Achtung! Spitfire!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist:rolleyes:)

The post from kaasbroodje above will, of course, have no bearing (oops) on the price you might pay in french France.
There's something about a UK No. plate that does something to their price calculations.
From posting on here the price seems to multiply to the astronomical.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
spitfire

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Was just curious as had one here and bill was around 600euro . We are French registered btw as we live here ! Going over Plymouth next month so wondered if the was any mileage ! In getting it done there. Is over 3.5 tonnes so don't k ow if that makes a difference . Was done in an Iveco truck garage here .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£200 inc vat and a "quality assured " bearing would be a tad on the dear side so slightly less would be about right
£100 will get you an e-bay bearing smacked in with a lump hammer
G

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Had 2 front wheel bearings replaced in Spain on a 2002 Ducato. I seem to remember it was about 500 euro. Only one wheel was faulty but had both done.

Had one rear wheel bearing replaced in France and that was about 200 euro. It's an easier job to replace the rear bearing, apparently.

OP
OP
spitfire

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
About £150. Its a big bearing, it needs a fecking big press to remove it from the hub and refit it
Mine was done by a local garage.
Yes indeed OH usually does work on the van himself but not this one !!! Which is why it went to the garage for no1 but just wondered if it would be cheaper to do the second in the UK as we are coming over :-(
The other one is fine but better to get them both done ! Any recommendations for a garage near Plymouth which can do on over 3.5 tonnes.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Don't worry about doing both. It seems the OFF SIDE one always the problem, for some reason.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We had ours done recently at Dave Newells, http://davenewell.co.uk/
Boy did he swear a lot!!:swear2: Both bearings where seized in and his 20 tonne press struggled but got there in the end. By the way he hates Defthleffs but he still does them anyway!! Mrs Newell said he nearly went home again when he saw our van waiting for him:imoutahere:

Cannot reccommend him enough, a half day job turned into all day but he still stuck to the orginal quoted price. I know he's a bit far North for you but if you were thinking of going up country he's your man.

OP
OP
spitfire

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
But driver on the left and we drive on the right ! So for a mere female facing the front of the van left or right .

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The one nearest the steering wheel!!!!!!:Eeek: (heehehee!)

I would always expect the wheel in the gutter to have the hardest life but it seems its not the case with Fiat Ducato?

In your case I have no idea - I would have a listen.:clap2:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
£279 for both on a 04 Ducato in May this year near P'boro - enough but plenty cheaper than main dealership.
Apparently good quality bearings but how would I know.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Don't worry about doing both. It seems the OFF SIDE one always the problem, for some reason.

To drag up an old post, my front offside wheel bearing has just gone again. Was starting to sound a bit rumbly, jacked the van up today and there's play in the front wheel (n)

If it still had the original bearing when I got the van then that lasted about 24k miles / 8 years, the one I had done has then only lasted 8k miles / 2 years.

The nearside is, as far as I know, still the original bearing and is still OK. Van is a Ducato X244 base on the 18 Maxi heavy duty chassis.

It is bad how quickly these go, especially considering the size of the damn bearings! They're huge! Yes my van has a large overcab bed and the front axle runs at it's weight limit, but it should still do more than 8k miles on a wheel bearing.

I'll be on the phone to Dave Newell in the morning - he's just down the road from me, I haven't got a press to do it myself, and I bet Dave does so many he can do them in his sleep!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I haven't got a press to do it myself, and I bet Dave does so many he can do them in his sleep!

I hope he has a 'Big un'!
I would hope the bearing would last longer than 8K . Was it a good name bearing? Has been running dry? is there any signs it been hot?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
To be honest, I don't know what bearing was put in last time - it was picked up at a service when I first got the van by a local garage. They're a good garage but what they used I don't know.

I thought I could hear the bearing getting rumbly recently, but you know what it's like - it's a gradual change and the Ducato cab isn't the quietest anyway, even though I have added a Soundkiller kit to it. I jacked the van up just now and I can feel a bit of play if the wheel is gripped top & bottom, no sign of any movement in track rod ends, so with that and my thoughts that I can hear it rumbling, I'm sure it's the wheel bearing. No sign of it running hot that I can tell.

The only other thing it could be linked to is I had to have a new driveshaft a little while ago - I had the clutch replaced and had a problem afterwards with the driveshaft seal on the gearbox leaking. New seal didn't cure it. Problem was that the driveshaft was corroded, no more than usual for a used van but with the gearbox having been off & on it wasn't quite sitting in the same place as before so the seal must have been just on the previously exposed part. New driveshaft cured it which would of course have meant disturbing the front hub - I can't imagine it would really affect the bearing though.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Typical scenario here would be,
When clutch was done drive shaft found to be seized in hub / bearing so was left connected and dangling , which makes re fit difficult possibly causing seal damage ergo oil leak.
new shaft ordered. again old shaft still seized to hub so out comes big hammer to belt shaft out hence premature failure of bearing
Simple when you've been there:doh:

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Hmmm - good point Geo, not thought of that. It's a pain in the arse whatever though! I'm on holiday in 3 weeks time so must get it sorted before then. Hopefully the new bearing will last much longer........

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've had an advisory on mine from the last 2 mots, but the garage said it wasn't bad enough to need replacing yet. It's done about 12,000 miles since it was first mentioned.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I don't want to risk it going whilst I'm away - sat at the side of the motorway with 3 kids waiting for recovery, not my idea of a break! It is getting quite rumbly.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Well, job was done today, and I'm glad it was - the old bearing fell apart once pressed out, and stank of burnt grease! £195 poorer but so glad I got it sorted before driving down to Dorset on Saturday. New bearing is a FAG unit, they're one of the better brands I believe, so let's hope it lasts better than the last one.........

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Mines booked in to be done in September at Dave Newalls, MOT advisory, and front offside again !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back