FRONT SCREEN WATER INGRESS FIXED.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Oct 5, 2015.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Done it !! Got VERY peed off by water ingress into the engine compartment, so...Took the bonnet off, wiper arms, unscrewed the 2 piece plastic lower windscreen trim panel and eased it back far enough to get a bead of clear silicone along the inside edge of both halves ( and down the centre joint ). Put it all back together and I hope that that has stopped water bypassing the trim panel and running onto the engine.
    Fingers crossed.
    (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  2. laurieash

laurieash Funster

Got my done under warranty common fault on Fiat Autotrail.
    Changed the set up on 2015 model.

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Hope that it sticks okay, Sika 212 or similar would have bonded the scuttle to the windscreen.

4. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

I recently had to have the windscreen replaced due to a crack. The scuttle was attached to the screen with double sided sticky foam strip. Obviously that had to be removed to replace the glass, and does not re-stick. Rain water then comes behind scuttle, all over engine & fuse box :eek: as well as entering between the centre joint. Temp fix is electrical tape over the scuttle & the screen, to be sorted with new foam strip courtesy of Fiat at the vehicle service next month. dealer didn't want to know as a) was ok before screen was replaced & b) they say not Autotrail problem but Fiat's. :mad:

5. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I also had the windscreen replaced a few weeks ago and I asked them to stick the scuttle to the the windscreen which they did using some black sealant.

6. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Didn't realise it was going to leak all along it's length or I would have asked the same. Could be a bit of a b****r if the screen went again though. :(

7. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

I used bathroom silicon because I didn't want a permanent bond to the screen. It has stuck and I just checked after the rain and there is only a slight trickle at the centre joint, which I will re-do when all is dry again. (fingers crossed ) (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

silicon sealant just doesnt work long term as it lets go allowing the leak to reoccur. using eurethane sealant like sikaflex does work but is a disaster if and when you need a new windscreen or to remove the scuttle. the best solution is to use vehicle glazing mastic strip. it bonds well and is waterproof, plus vibration resistant. however it is easy to cut through when necessary

dont forget to modify the scuttle drains of course for when it blocks and overflows. Andy @Techno100 has done a good pictorial how-to thread on this

• Like Like x 1
  9. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Yes Big 1. I did that first.. Ta..