from RV to european.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brian and Jo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

can i please have peoples comments (constructive ones please:Smile:) on how they have adapted going from an RV to a european motorhome.i see in this months Which Motorhome magazine that Moto-Trek,a british company,have just prototyped a motorhome with 1 slide out.is this the shape of things to come from the european manufacturers?
    brian and jo
    :thumb:

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Hi Brian... Had ours just nearly 2 months... must admit we did miss the slide and extra room they make..

But after 13 nights spent in it since we have had it, and just over 600 miles...

We love it, Compact after RV`s & 5th wheels, less to heat up... depending what you go for,,, as much cupboard space internally, as bigger main locker as we had in the last RV..

No planning on the trips we have done to date, no problem getting on site`s we have chosen,, no worries about dumping black waste, (I do one walk to the elsan point each morning,, not taught Judy how to do that yet:Wink:)..

And best of all, with us anyway.... no worry about where the next LPG station is,,, and 24 - 25 miles to the gallon with toad on the back.... admitted it has the 6 speed tiptronic gearbox, which is as smooth as they come..

Just over a week, and we are off again for two and a half weeks.... then after that, Belgium and France, and down to Spain & Portugal after Xmas..

Not read much up on the Eurovan slide outs... but as with any new thing I would bide my time before getting one, let them iron out any problems first.. :Cool:

Good luck with what ever road you go down.. :thumb:

Regards to Jo & Josh.

Mo, Judy & Paul.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

thanks for your comments Mo.as you know ive been up in the air lately and still have,nt decided which way to go.glad your enjoying mate.best wishes to Judy and Paul:thumb:
    brian jo and josh

• Like Like x 1
  4. old-mo

Just as an after thought, Brian..

I should have thought with your hectic life, work wise it would give you more opportunity to say to your right hand man....

Bill, Joe, Fred..... You take the reigns we are off for the weekend... :thumb:

Must openly admit most of my thoughts are mainly because of the let down`s and the expense of all the troubles we had with the RV...

Has put me off RV`s for life.... not saying we wont have problems with this one,,, but if we do and are abroad, being on a Fiat based motor we are more likely to get things sorted...

And if we cant we will not have such a big problem getting rescued and repatriated ..:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

Drive in Europe that which belongs in Europe.

Drive in America that which belongs in America.

If you don't understand I can't explain... it is a suitability thing.

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Cannot answer for the coach RV's but as you know we have a 5'er with a 12ft slide and we also have a 'Stumpy' caravan for the odd night away where it is not worth the hassle of taking the 5'er.

Our thoughts are the 5'er you can live normally and comfortably in - walk around bed - spacious shower room - stacks of cupboard space - nice kitchen dining area as well as seating in real comfort. a three roomed flat on wheels. Fluids need doing on approximately a weekly basis. Needs to be attached to EHU for maximum comfort.

Stumpy - compact living - make up bed - tiny kitchen area ok for basic cooking - shower / toilet - all there but plan well before you start or use the on site if available. Fantastic and acceptable for a day maybe 2 - extreme at 3 climbing the walls at 4. Much, much better than a hotel room at any cost. Fluids need attending to on a daily basis. Can operate easier off grid than the 5'er.

If I had to get rid of one or the other then Stumpy would go

• Like Like x 1
  7. buttons

buttons Funster

Whatever motorhome you drive is always a compromise. Having everything you want is an impossible dream.:Smile:

• Like Like x 5
  8. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

Jackpot!!!!! I have the impossible dream :thumb::Rofl1:

It's called an RV.
    But I know I am lucky :RollEyes:

9. buttons

buttons Funster

You are looking through a tunnel young man only seeing what you want to see. How many negatives would you like me to list for RVs just like yours.:RollEyes:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

For us the question is not RV or eurovan, it is a question of size. For those with larger RVs I understand the need to down size just as we did.

When we bought our 8.5m B class RV 3 years ago we were down sizing from a 32ft Hurricane and doing it for the purpose of ease of travelling and carefully researched and explored all available from A and C class eurovans to all the RVs.

Liked the Rapidos, Carthagos ££££ , Hymers etc but in our opinion they all had the ability to make a relatively small space smaller inside. :Sad:

So after much deliberation we opted for our RV, at 8.5m X 2.35m w it is the same length and width as many Eurovans so not an issue and has the benefit of twin slides for better living space and all the RV standard fittings.:Cool::thumb:

With a 350mile range lpg conversion we normally achieve 9mpg relating to around 16mpg and find fillups with little or no forward planning .
    We afford the marginal extra fuel cost to gain the extra space and comfort.

In 3 years we have put 18000 miles on the clock, travelled Scotland , the Isle of Skye, Wales and its narrow roads, this year we were in Spain and Portugal, the ROI , Devon and Cornwall .
    All with no problem on road or site size or ability to obtain LPG with ease.

As for Euros in Europe and RVs in the states, the RV is LHD and perfect for Europe :thumb:

For us we will only consider a eurovan if I were to get licence restriction at 70 .

We have loved every minute with our RV , probably one of those "best buys" that we occasionally achieve :thumb:

Big decision Brian Jo and Josh :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

PS

Forgot to mention, as said in the past , this is very much a personal choice for us all :thumb:

12. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Never had one, nor am I recommending them, but if you want slide outs and luxury in a Eurovan take a look at this manufacturer.

www.rsmotorhomes.com

13. manda3000gt

manda3000gt Funster

They are in the process of moving to a new site at the moment

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We've owned almost every type of motorhome, from a nylon sheet stretched from our Lanny's bull bar to the ground, right up to large American RVs and most things in-between We always strive to have the smallest motorhome possible - that we are comfortable in. When we had the RV there were 5 of us and a dog and we were home educating the kids, this was about the smallest van we could be comfortable in.

Now we are not so many, our vehicle is much smaller, interestingly it is fitted with everything we had in the RV (apart from a tub chair) Dinette, sofa, double bed etc, the only difference is the RV had a lot of space between these items?:Laughing:

Me and Siân on our own, I wouldn't go back to the nylon sheet but would love a panel van, the ultimate tourer. Siân wouldn't like that, she'd be more comfortable in something coachbuilt and a little bigger, so I doubt I'll ever own one. :Sad:

My advice, don't worry about slide outs, they steal payload and can be more trouble than they are worth. Go as small as is comfortable, who cares if its made in the US or Europe, they are all RV's

• Like Like x 6
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes, but, a PVC with well engineered lightweight slide, the answer to your prayers.

Maybe a pop-top on the side is the lightweight way to go.

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Following lpg installation and everything loaded including full fuel and us we still have spare 250kg , no problem :thumb:

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

:Wink:
    We were at Masham for the weekend for the sheep fair. Great weekend btw. There was a canvas pop top PVC there. You could hear their conversation , tv , and rattling about as though you were in there with them. More so when it was very quiet at night. A bit like when people are in a tent or awning and are oblivious to how loud they are being.

18. old-mo

You lost some weight then, Bro.... :Wink::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Nah , still putting it on Mo, need to go on a diet soon :Smile::RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigbaz

bigbaz Funster

I'm going the other way, I've had European and British motorhomes, but now
    I'm looking at RV's as wife's disability mean's she is now wheelchair bound.
    I've looked at 2 RV's yesterday, Great and can be adapted for our use.
    But there's just one problem it's the length of the RV's, 32ft & 31ft, as my drive is only 28ft 9" long and I don't think I'll be allowed to overhang onto the path as people will moan. So I'll keep looking.