Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi , I shall be returning from France via ferry from le Havre end of Sept.what I would like to know is ,how do you run your fridge /freezer on the crossing as don't think gas is allowed ..?? Roy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't bother, just turn it off, take out any ice cubes as a precaution. Just make sure everything is nice and cold, so avoid putting newly bought stuff in just before sailing. Our little fridge stays plenty cold enough on the 20 hour Santander route. A frozen meal put in there helps too.

You can get EHU on some ships but this seems an unnecessary faff unless perhaps you have some medication in there which has to be kept cold at all costs.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
All our stuff defrosted on our return trip so try to get ehu. Ask before embarking. I had ehu going. I asked after embarking and I was refused when returning.

Oops wrong ferry trip. Ours was the Santander ferry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The same as any fridge or freezer, whether in the motorhome or anywhere else, it should be good for 24 hours with no power of any kind as long as you don't open the door.

If it's not then there's probably something not quite right with the seals.

@Khizzie If I remember correctly that crossing is about 6 or 7 hours isn't it? You shouldn't have any problems at all.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The same as any fridge or freezer, whether in the motorhome or anywhere else, it should be good for 24 hours with no power of any kind as long as you don't open the door.

If it's not then there's probably something not quite right with the seals.

@Khizzie If I remember correctly that crossing is about 6 or 7 hours isn't it? You shouldn't have any problems at all.
Thanks Nick,yes about six hours. Roy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All our stuff defrosted on our return trip so try to get ehu. Ask before embarking. I had ehu going. I asked after embarking and I was refused when returning.

Oops wrong ferry trip. Ours was the Santander ferry.
I guess if you have frozen stuff that could happen. We rarely freeze anything and just carry the usual cheese, cold meats, milk etc which were still cold after the ferry.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We did the two night portsmouth to bilbao crossing last november and had the freezer compartme nt full and then froze 2x2 pint milk containers and put those in the fridge with the other food and they wnere still partly frozen when we arrived so you dont need to worry.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Freeze a couple of large milk bottles prior to sailing and leave them on the door. If small freezer then do small bottles !! Simples

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back