fridge wont stay on

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sb8263, Jul 27, 2014.

1. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

having a problem with the fridge , it was working ok on the gas when we got to france, but wont work now, it wont ignite and stay on , it works on 12v when traveling and on electric on hook up,,i have tried to ignite with a flame but wont have it,,,,,any ideas please ?

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If it lights, then goes out when you release the knob, it's likely that the jet is partially blocked. If it doesn't light at all the jet is probably totally blocked. If you can reach the jet assembly to light it then changing the jet will be a fairly quick job. They're so fine that it's rarely worth cleaning them (with some it's impossible) so a new jet is the easiest fix.

3. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

thanks for that,,,,not got one with me and as in france at the moment , now looking for aires with electric hook up.....

4. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

What model fridge is it ? If you tried lighting it with a flame, I’d imagine the fault may be the gas supply solenoid ( if fitted ) the lucar connector to ours had corroded and came off and although the igniter was sparking merrily away, the gas wasn’t getting to the burner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Ah just an idea but we had this very same problem last week fridge had been working fine on gas and one night it wouldn't light on gas.

I took the lower vent of outside and removed the aluminium cowl around the burner and you wouldn't believe it but there was the burnt remains of a bee or some other insect on top of the burner.

Gave it a good blow out and retried the fridge .....worked fine again since

• Like Like x 1
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Is there gas in it?

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Check that the thermocouple is siting squarely in the pilot light flame, it may have moved

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  8. Biged

Biged Read Only Funster

Unlikely to be a blocked jet more likely a defective thermocouple, a really cheap fix on a gas fire, don't know about a fridge.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Also check that the 12v supply is there, you don't mention if it fires up at all or just doesn't stay in. If it doesn't fire up at all there could be a 12v supply problem ie loose connection or fuse.
    I believe running with the engine is fed differently... Via the cab battery and alternator (I may be wrong) not 100% ofay with systems myself yet.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

9 times out of 10 it will be a blocked jet you can get to it through the lower vent three screws one nut and your there remember to test for gas leaks on the nut after you put it back together

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Another really daft question, did you isolate gas supply for travelling?
    Not that I've ever forgotten to put it back on.....

12. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

thanks for all the replies,,the fridge wont even light ,,i have taken the cover off and tried to light it manually with a match,,its like there is no gas there,,it was working ok and one day we set off with it still lit,,and its never worked since...so guess it might have something to do with that too...:(