Fridge vent in awning (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
On my recently acquired van is a 4m Fiamma roll-out awning, and in amongst the many bits that came with the van is a safari/privacy room kit, basically walls to turn the roll-out roof into a "proper" weatherproof awning with walls.

I've not put this up yet, but I've just realised that doing so would put the vents for the fridge inside said awning. Leaving aside any problems of the awning getting hot, this clearly isn't a problem whilst I'm on electric hook up and the fridge is on 240v, but what about when it's on gas?

My inclination is to think that the cooker isn't flued so that must put it's small amount of CO into the van itself. The fridge can't use that much gas and any awning is far from air tight, therefore shouldn't be a problem, but does anyone have a more authoritative view?

No one will be sleeping out there.

Incidentally, anyone with one of these safari room kits care to comment on how quick & easy they are to put up? They look like a bit of faff from the instructions!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fridge vents in the awning are not an issue, as you said, there is plenty of ventilation.. most caravan fridges are on the awning side..

Can't comment on the Safari room, just what I've read, they are a faff ..

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We use the safari room without problem and it would need to be really cold to get any heat from the vent..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We use a Faimma Zip awning / privacy room and our fridge vents are in the awning, we have had no problem in the awning even in very warm weather (40 C).
We have a fan on the fridge vent to help the fridge work in the hot weather, but there no noticeable increase in the awning temperature. Generally there is plenty of ventilation in the awnings, so I don't see it as a problem.
Fitting the awning can take a while so we only use it when on sites for more than a week or so.
There are plenty of Faimma instructional videos on youtube to check out how it should be done.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Could not be without a safari room to be honest.. We always use it if in one place for more than a few days..
Absolute boon

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Normally the awning would be well enough ventilated for there not to be a problem.

However if you intend to seal the safari room to avoid draughts then for peace of mind you could always put a Carbon Monoxide detector in there when running the fridge on gas.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the replies.

Found safari room video on Youtube, doesn't look too bad to put up after all - especially compared to the trailer tent we used to have! It's a Fiamma Zip canopy, which looks like one of the slightly easier ones to put up the safari room for. We're only likely to use it if we're in one place for a week - our plan is long weekends away or touring we all go in the van, if we stay in one place for a week or more in the UK then Mrs F will bring the "family bus" along - so the van being anchored to the pitch by the awning won't be a big problem.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Most caravan fridges are on the awning side. We used to be on non electric for 4 weeks during our summer holidays in it. I also fitted a fan to the top vent to assist with cooling.

Brian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The gas flame is not much bigger than a cigarette lighter flame so the CO will be minimal and as for heating the awning....dream on.  

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Ahh, it wasn't heating the awning I was getting at - it was if the awning itself being hot during hot weather would stop the fridge from working properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back