Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So as not to cause confusion I'm asking this on its own thread.
We don't have any vent covers. We use the van all year around in hot and cold climates. It's never in storage and is always heated when we're not in it. The fridge is almost permenantly on.
Never had a problem so why would we need vent covers.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The outer covers are not needed unless the fridge is off. The modern large vent fridges have inner plastic shields that reduce the air flow but not stop it and they are supposed to be used when the temperature is 10 deg or less as they stop the workings getting too cold as that would use more gas believe it or not.
So not essential but may reduce the gas consumption.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have only just fitted winter covers to mine. We noted almost immediately that the fridge was a lot colder as the bottled water had ice forming in it. Turned down and all seems normal except my gas consumption seems high - but I did cook a lot over the holiday period. Just out of interest from a previous thread, I do use both top and bottom covers, which was said to be not the correct way as only one set should be used. If this is true, then my dealer needs to be re-briefed as they fitted them both.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We've had three different MH's over the years now, all used year-round in all sorts of climates across Europe, almost never on EHU (so fridge running on gas whenever parked up) and on none of them have I ever used fridge vent covers.
Never had any problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I made a cover for the bottom vent but I was unable to find where the exhaust came out, as it does not show at the top vent, just the black pipes to the condensor The bottom bit has a shield around the jet area and again no sign of an exhaust pipe. It is a Thetford 3000 in a Hymer??????????????? slight confusion for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back