Fridge vent covers

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Gary217, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Just wondering if I need to bother with covers for my external fridge vents? My thinking is, water's all drained and the covers won't give a lot of protection against cold as it is a metal box so it will be cold when not used but, leaving the vents open will actually give a bit of ventilation to an otherwise closed up and parked van and if we use it (as we plan to in January onwards), we won't worry about the draughts because we'll have to open the vents as the fridge will be running.
    So, I feel it is not really worth fitting the covers...or am I missing something?

2. wingman

wingman Funster

@Gary217 Was waiting until an 'expert' came along to answer Gary :D

The way I understand it is that they are used for a few reasons; when extremely windy (as the gas flame can be blown out), used in winter, but only when the the temp falls below 8-10°c and some use them when giving the van a good wash.

Someone will be along with more ideas?

3. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Thanks for the reminder guys! I've just been and dug mine out and will fit them in the morning!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I have just bought and fitted a pair,my reasoning is that we have three trips away during Dec and Jan so temps below 10 deg C are to be expected.
    Secondly there shouldn't be any draughts through them into your van as the fridge should be airtight. But rain might drive in through the open vents and I wanted to stop this (y)

5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Fitting fridge vent covers in the winter does not totally prevent airflow - they are designed to stay in place when the fridge is operated during the winter, when temperatures are typically expected to be below 8-10 degrees C.

6. davejen

davejen Funster

For sale pr fridge vent covers Dometic -size common to most m/h's
    £12 + post
    Cheers, Dave(y)
    01461 800429

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Me too(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Ours go on at the first report of frost. They do allow enough air for the fridge to function but cut down on the drafts around the fridge housing. Wouldn't be without them.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Should not use them when running on gas.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cleve

Cleve Funster

Hello

I hope the attached link works and should basically cover what you want to know or should be aware of. The section you require is 5.10 and is very straightforward.

Of course it will not apply to every refrigerator but does for that which I think is featured here.

http://www.swift-owners-club.com/support/oem-handbooks/dometic/RM72-74.pdf

I hope this will provide clarification (now I bet a pound to a pinch of sugar the link will not work, oh well here goes).

Fingers crossed Clive

• Like Like x 4
  11. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

I haven't come across any instructions to back this up.
    If it is generally cold and damp I fit them.
    However, I have removed the top cover during the spring or autumn if the day temperature is more than 10 degrees when using gas.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Just fitted ours as van been SORNed for next couple of months. Lot on during December and January so won't get away.
    Unfortunately, because of the way we have to park motorhome the vents face the prevailing wind (eh storms!) so these assist in reducing risk of water ingress through fridge vents.

13. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

I've fitted mine

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks for the replies - think I will fit them just to be on safe side.

15. Speve

Speve Funster

You need o be careful with them if they are fitted and temperature is higher than the 10 degrees stated the fridge can defrost slightly we had experience of this,once removed fridge worked normally again.

16. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

...or perhaps I won't....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cleve

Cleve Funster

At the risk of stating the obvious - simply follow the instructions. Fitting or removal could not be easier. To remove simply turn the small circular fitting a quarter turn and lift out (works for upper and lower). To fit simply align the tabs click into place and turn knob a quarter turn to lock in position.

If the fridge is not in use because the motorhome is in storage of off the road for a period - put them on and leave them on, that will reduce ingress of rain and other extraneous matter.

If the temperature is going to be below 8 degrees and you are using it then just pop them on (the gas flu is catered for in the design, you will notice the upper cover is not full width).

If the temperature is going to be above 8 degrees then take them off when you are going to use it. They can be safely stored in one of the motorhomes lockers.

The ventilators are intended for air circulation during operation of the fridge allowing cool air to enter at the bottom pass through the heat exchanger and the warmer air leave via the top vent (circulation). The flu for the gas is in the corner and simply shares a common point on the wall.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn Funster

I have purchased the relevant vent covers for my fridge and received them today. I am not sure if they are correct though. Although the vents on the vehicle are almost the same size, the covers are quite different in length. Having read all your comments I assume they will not fit fully allowing for ventilation, but one of the vent covers is about 2-3" short in length (a full individual panel on the vent). Would that be for the ventilation for the gas etc.,

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Normally just a 20mm gap along the bottom of the vent. Sound like you have the wrong covers for your vents.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there are a few different vent sizes and the winter covers are not interchangeable