Fridge Usage (1 Viewer)

MarkieMark

Free Member
Sep 7, 2010
North Derbyshire
Funster No
Exp
Complete newbie question so please bear with me....

I have just purchased an 04 Eura Mobil (Fiat Ducato chassis), and it comes with a 'Dometic' fridge which has 3 settings: 240V, 12V and Gas.

I know for hook up 240V is selected, and for travelling 12V is selected, but what is the best for say overnight if not on Hook up? Gas, or will the fridge stay cold overnight (12 hours)?

If I selected Max and 'pre-cooled' the fridge when on hook up before the journey, and then selected 12V for the journey, how long would the fridge stay cold once the engine was turned off (assuming the door was not opened)?. I am trying to guage how efficient the fridge is as when 'out and about' my only power source is a generator (which has to be switched off at night).

Rgds,
Mark

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Fridge usage.

Hi, I tend to carry a selection of foods and drinks in the fridge, so if I will be stopped for a couple of hours or more, and overnight, I will put the fridge on gas, as I dont want to risk loosing the food, or food poisening!

I would then put it back to 12v when driving.
Would NEVER drive with gas on, or fridge working with gas.

Hope this helps, S.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your fridge is most efficient on gas and the consumption is frugal to say the least.

12v will only work when the engine is running and is designed to maintain a given temperature......not lower the temp from ambient to cold.
unless its a compressor fridge.

if you dont open the door at all the fridge will stay cold for at least 24hours but whats the point of having a fridge if you dont open it ?

we use gas even if hookup is available as it cools much better.

the fridge burner should be sealed from the inside of the van so its perfectly save to leave it on all day and night.

from a safety aspect you should install a CO detector in the van anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I run my fridge on 240v for a couple of days prior to leaving home.

As PJ says, gas is very efficient - I have only used a 6kg bottle for cooking and fridge this year. (Only cooking for one and no heating on)

Don't forget food poisoning is bad - but warm beer is even worse:roflmto:

Phil

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
12V will not cool the fridge, only maintain the current temperature, be that hot or cold. Gas is most efficient. I do admit to leaving it on gas whilst driving, three weeks in France with temps to a max of 45deg confirmed it worked well.as to Gas use no reall idea as I have no idea what size the gas tank is, guessing about 30kilos.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I would never condone, but me personnally, we leave the fridge on gas when driving, basically before we set off, fridge on and it only goes off for refueling and when we get home, but we do have an RV and I believe that is how they can be used anyway.

We don't have 12 volt, yanks generally are gas/mains only.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
My Rv fridge has three lights when running
AC = mains
LPG= gas
Battery

I am not sure if it works on battery i allways have it on gas auto and if the mains is put on it changes over itself returning to gas when the popwer is turned of

never had any problems in over a year with it running for months at a time :thumb: best rv fridge i have ever seen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back