LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
we have a Domitec 7655L fridge freezer, every now and then it goes on the blink and the temp starts to rise. Sometimes this will happen once a year sometimes twice a year. A short drive to shake things up normally sorts it.
So this time the temp has started to warm up and as we were going away for a couple of days thought no problem it will have its shake down and be ok. No had a good run but still getting warmer, have turned it up to max cooling, tapped the pipes on the back and still no good.
Any suggestions please. I think I am going to replace the thermastat and see if that does the trick. Start with the easy things.
In the mean time we are going to have a BBQ tonight as the meat in the freezer is thawing out, downside my beer is warming up.

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
We had a problem with our dometic fridge going on and off. Now it wont work at all. Been told its the cooling unit. The cost to replace cooling unit with labour £700 new fridge £900. The fridge is only 5 years old scandalous.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We had a problem with our dometic fridge going on and off. Now it wont work at all. Been told its the cooling unit. The cost to replace cooling unit with labour £700 new fridge £900. The fridge is only 5 years old scandalous.
I had a similar problem with mine, often it wouldn't reignite. It turn out to be a bad earth connection. Finally sorted by replacing the wiring from the board to the white terminal block at the bottom. £35 plus an hours labour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
The journey back, bumpy shaky uk roads, still no joy, got back checked for loose conections etc, turned fridge off to fully defrost. ( like a re boot) and turned back on. Still no good. It's cooling down but not enough to freeze food etc which makes me think it's the thermastat. Bank holiday this weekend so no chance off getting anyone to check/ look etc. :cry:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just a long shot, but have you tried it on gas, might use a different thermostat maybe (y)

edit - we also found that turned up to max was less cool than half way especially when warm outside, no idea how that works o_O

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
just a long shot, but have you tried it on gas, might use a different thermostat maybe (y)

edit - we also found that turned up to max was less cool than half way especially when warm outside, no idea how that works o_O

Yes David, tryed it on gas, EHU and when driving on 12V. Still not looking good. (n)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
That's the next move wizzer was just trying to sort myself first.

I only said it cos mine is not working properly but only on gas and it probably only needs a clean, but it looks like the fridge has to come out and I don't fancy doing that so the pro is coming next week to fix it, and do full hab check at the same time (y)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
would think if all systems will work without error may be a refrigerant gas leak and needs a recharge (bit like car aircon) suggest try that before doing anything drastic!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You can't regas 3 way fridges, if the plant stops working, it's scrap. And from what you say it sounds terminal, probably a blockage in the u tube.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
wow, didn't know that!

would be tempted to try anyway, assuming you could find a mate down the pup with the kit????

)edit, blockages can be subject to a severe bash or two with a large object)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
wow, didn't know that!

would be tempted to try anyway, assuming you could find a mate down the pup with the kit????

)edit, blockages can be subject to a severe bash or two with a large object)

Don't, your"mate down the pub" will kill himself. All absorption fridge systems are ammonia & welded construction - It is very rare they leak . Ig they do/did then they are scrap basically.
The usual problem if the system will not function is blockage inside as ammonia is a dirty gas . Usual method is to remove, up end & shake around a bit then leave standing for it all to settle .Service everything whilst it is out & test before reinstalling.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Ours isn't getting as cold on gas as it does on electric. Took MH in for annual check up, all good but they think theres a gas leak on pipe that feeds fridge. maybe try that ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They "think" there is a propane leak? Bloody hell they sound clued up :)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
The pressure drops on that particular pipe, they spray tested all the joints they could find, so they think its the pipe not a joint, that's why they think its the pipe.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I use the tried and tested method of fitting a small 12v extractor fan to the inside of the top exterior vent which removes the hot air quicker and allows the fridge to run colder.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
had a similar prob but found it was a faulty door seal. now use a golf tee to ensure proper closure.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The pressure drops on that particular pipe, they spray tested all the joints they could find, so they think its the pipe not a joint, that's why they think its the pipe.

Could have rubbed through with vibration if it's rubbing somewhere or even less likely a fatigue fracture. No excuse for not finding the leak though. I'd have put 400psi of nitrogen up it... you'd hear it then lol

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Don't, your"mate down the pub" will kill himself. All absorption fridge systems are ammonia & welded construction - It is very rare they leak . Ig they do/did then they are scrap basically.
The usual problem if the system will not function is blockage inside as ammonia is a dirty gas . Usual method is to remove, up end & shake around a bit then leave standing for it all to settle .Service everything whilst it is out & test before reinstalling.

I know the pipes do get blocked, because they corrode from the inside and normally a run down the road cures this as it dislodges the block. Then all will be fine for a while untill it gets blocked again.
There are no leaks in the pipes and no bad smell.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
would think if all systems will work without error may be a refrigerant gas leak and needs a recharge (bit like car aircon) suggest try that before doing anything drastic!

nothing like car air con, or domestic fridge.. it contains a gas mix of Ammonia and Hydrogen .. not rechargeable..

Don't, your"mate down the pub" will kill himself. All absorption fridge systems are ammonia & welded construction -

yes indeed, they also contain Hydrogen gas .. boom boom , bye bye matey

if it's blocked, which it sounds like, the cooling unit is scrap... they are not repairable.

this can happen due to being used when not level.. All too often you read " my fridge works fine off level, does no harm"... and yes they do work off level, but the damage is done over time.. and leads to premature failure

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp

nothing like car air con, or domestic fridge.. it contains a gas mix of Ammonia and Hydrogen .. not rechargeable..

yes indeed, they also contain Hydrogen gas .. boom boom , bye bye matey

if it's blocked, which it sounds like, the cooling unit is scrap... they are not repairable.

this can happen due to being used when not level.. All too often you read " my fridge works fine off level, does no harm"... and yes they do work off level, but the damage is done over time.. and leads to premature failure

I stand corrected, thanks for the warning. Was not aware absorption fridges were any different from compressor versions in terms of the refrigerant.

As posted elsewhere there's no limit to the opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Update
He led this morning and back to being cold. Wife left a packet of peas In freezer which had thawed out, they were frozen again. So. All good we thought. Tonight the fridge is still cold and the freezer is still frozen but temp has warmed up a bit but it is bloody hot here today so see what happens tomorrow.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It was a birthday surprise I guess :clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun