Fridge runs from main battery? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The manual for my new Trigano Tribute states that the 3-way fridge runs in 12v mode from the main battery. I am planning to install a solar panel, which it makes sense to me to connect to the leisure battery. It also suggests that the 2 batteries are connected under certain circs. If I do connect to the LB, will this top up the main battery? It's a Nordelec controller system.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It will only run from the vehicle battery when the engine is running, there will be a relay that kicks in to feed the fridge. Not sure about charging up from the solar panel but I don't believe that it will.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will only run from the vehicle battery when the engine is running, there will be a relay that kicks in to feed the fridge. Not sure about charging up from the solar panel but I don't believe that it will.
Depends how it's wired on Hymers when there is no gas, mains or engine feed it switches to the leisure battery, I've pulled the fuse on both Hymers I have had to stop it doing it.

Ref: Solar you will need either a dual output solar regulator or a solar split charge relay to charge the engine battery as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Depends how it's wired on Hymers when there is no gas, mains or engine feed it switches to the leisure battery, I've pulled the fuse on both Hymers I have had to stop it doing it.
Lenny are you sure? The fridge on my B678 doesn't appear to do that - if there is no gas or electric and the engine is not running it just flashes an alarm (if it is switched on).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny are you sure? The fridge on my B678 doesn't appear to do that - if there is no gas or electric and the engine is not running it just flashes an alarm (if it is switched on).
Have a look on your Elektroblock and see if the AES/Kompressor fuse is fitted, if it's not it will do as you describe. Hymer have been wiring them this way since about 2008. Dealers sometimes remove this fuse before delivery.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have a look on your Elektroblock and see if the AES/Kompressor fuse is fitted, if it's not it will do as you describe. Hymer have been wiring them this way since about 2008. Dealers sometimes remove this fuse before delivery.
I know that fuse well since some idiot (the dealer) had put one in to my previous Adria motorhome and I wondered why the battery was going flat when stopped. However that motorhome did not have an AES fridge. The Hymer has an AES fridge and I am sure that it works as I have said, and does not work on the 12V leisure batteries. It can be made to work direct from solar, but that is a different matter.

However I will go out and try it later to make sure.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The manual for my new Trigano Tribute states that the 3-way fridge runs in 12v mode from the main battery. I am planning to install a solar panel, which it makes sense to me to connect to the leisure battery. It also suggests that the 2 batteries are connected under certain circs. If I do connect to the LB, will this top up the main battery? It's a Nordelec controller system.
Just in case it isn't clear from the above the 12v option is for use when driving. When you stop use gas or 240v if on EHU. The 12v will take more power than your solar can provide but perhaps more importantly the cooling effect is limited on 12 volts.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have a split regulator on my Solar. I have set it to charge 90% leisure and 10% vehicle battery. It can also be set to 50:50 charge. It is a Morningstar SunSaver Duo.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK, just checked the manuals - both Dometic's and Hymer's. If you use the fridge on automatic, as we always do, it will NOT run on the leisure battery and will only run on 12V if the engine is running (alternator signal D+) - both manuals say that. On the other hand if you switch it to manual operation and then choose 12V it will run only off the leisure batteries, according to Hymer's manual. My guess is that this is to enable people with lots of solar power or batteries to run the fridge using them.

We always use it in AES mode (no need to worry about anything then) so we have no problems with this.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think the 12V running off the leisure battery is Hymer's idea rather than Schaudt or Dometic. Thinking about it with the Adria it was the starter battery that ran down with the AES fuse in, to the point that once or twice I had trouble starting it. Maybe that is Hymer's way of making sure you can always start the engine?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
OK, just checked the manuals - both Dometic's and Hymer's. If you use the fridge on automatic, as we always do, it will NOT run on the leisure battery and will only run on 12V if the engine is running (alternator signal D+) - both manuals say that. On the other hand if you switch it to manual operation and then choose 12V it will run only off the leisure batteries, according to Hymer's manual. My guess is that this is to enable people with lots of solar power or batteries to run the fridge using them.

We always use it in AES mode (no need to worry about anything then) so we have no problems with this.
Well I've learnt something there, have put the fuse back in and run a few test it does indeed do that. Having in also looked at the manuals in the Dometic one there is a big warning about running on 12v but to me regardless of wether it is in AES or Manual mode if it's running from 12v it's running from 12v if you see my reasoning. I will still leave the fuse out, then I can't accidently flatten my batteries.

I had assumed it was the same as my last Hymer with a 7000 series fridge, my mate found out the hard way he had an identical van, gas ran out on AES one day came back to the van with flat batteries. When I investigate his van had the AES fuse fitted my didn't.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Interesting. Just tried ours (2016 Hymer Exsis I 150 l Thetford fridge) and it doesn't work off 12v on AES or manual unless D+ is live. Must have different logic to the Dometic one I suspect.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just in case it isn't clear from the above the 12v option is for use when driving. When you stop use gas or 240v if on EHU. The 12v will take more power than your solar can provide but perhaps more importantly the cooling effect is limited on 12 volts.
Yes, I realize why it is set to run on the main battery. What confuses me is should I connect the solar to the LB or the main battery. I don't see the need for a second split charger, and of course I will use my excellent MPPT regulator. Since the control panel indicates that the two batteries are linked, for instance as they are at this moment while on 240v, for charging purposes, does this mean that the charge going into the LB will be shared with the main battery. i.e. as they are linked (I'm not sure that quite says what I am trying to say.)
I'm also not sure that 12v would not provide enough cooling effect, my last set up with 220 amp LB and 200 watt solar worked fine (compressor fridge). Also it worked on 12v just now, since I left the house without having time to start the fridge on mains up and cool it down, and when we got on site it was wonderfully cold, having only been running while driving.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Didn't know Hymer did a Thetford fridge. I have only seen them with a Dometic Tech Tower. Is the AES fuse in place on your Electrobloc?

I think the 150 litre fridge option is normally a Thetford, though depending on the van model the exterior vents are sometimes still Dometic (ours are but the I588 we looked at had the same fridge but Thetford vents.....no idea why?)

The AES fuse is in place in the Elecktoblok, a 20a one.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm also not sure that 12v would not provide enough cooling effect, my last set up with 220 amp LB and 200 watt solar worked fine (compressor fridge). Also it worked on 12v just now, since I left the house without having time to start the fridge on mains up and cool it down, and when we got on site it was wonderfully cold, having only been running while driving.
I think that a compressor fridge uses less 12V than a 3 way "normal" one, but others can say if that is correct or not.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Having an old van I also have an old fridge that works on Gas, Mains and in a limited fashion on 12v when the engine is running. HOWEVER I have an alternative way of keeping my beer cold ( apart from the coolboxes) When my wife gives me that ICY stare I quickly get out a beer and hold it in front of her for a second or two...works a treat! Best bit is that If I have more than 3 pints I get a constant Icy look so it keeps them all cold all evening!!.......Everyone's a winner, save on gas and lecky and it's constantly renewable energy!:giggler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Didn't know Hymer did a Thetford fridge. I have only seen them with a Dometic Tech Tower. Is the AES fuse in place on your Electrobloc?
Depends on model, a lot of their vans have had the Thetford fridges since around 2006 unless you opted for the TEC Tower option. E.g. Exsis's have Thetford as standard with the option of a Dometic TEC Tower.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Having an old van I also have an old fridge that works on Gas, Mains and in a limited fashion on 12v when the engine is running. HOWEVER I have an alternative way of keeping my beer cold ( apart from the coolboxes) When my wife gives me that ICY stare I quickly get out a beer and hold it in front of her for a second or two...works a treat! Best bit is that If I have more than 3 pints I get a constant Icy look so it keeps them all cold all evening!!.......Everyone's a winner, save on gas and lecky and it's constantly renewable energy!:giggler:
Wine's my poison, she's good with the icy looks and comments too. I just ride above it. Especially after the 2nd or 3rd glass.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, I realize why it is set to run on the main battery. What confuses me is should I connect the solar to the LB or the main battery. I don't see the need for a second split charger, and of course I will use my excellent MPPT regulator. Since the control panel indicates that the two batteries are linked, for instance as they are at this moment while on 240v, for charging purposes, does this mean that the charge going into the LB will be shared with the main battery. i.e. as they are linked (I'm not sure that quite says what I am trying to say.)
If you are talking about compressor 'fridges then of course 12v is fine, that is what they run on but three way' fridges which is what I thought you were referring to, work very differently and generally their 12v performance is the weakest.

If you have solar then connect it to the leisure batteries, this is what everything runs off.

The link between the vehicle and leisure batteries varies. In many, possibly most MHs the vehicle battery is not charged when on EHU or from the on board solar unless you have a gadget called a battery master. Alternatively, some MHs have the ability to charge the vehicle battery built in at the flick of a switch.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It is certainly charging both batteries at the moment, judging by the voltage readout on the main controller. It was the Vanbitz battery master that I was thinking about, but this present unit seems to be working in the same way. I guess I could contact Eddie and see what he has to say. I was not keen to connect the solar panel up to the LB without knowing what was happening.

This is the first 3-way fridge I have had, previously I have had 12v compressor fridges running from the LB, which in some respects is more straightforward.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I
Its only the later fridges that source alternative energy supplies automatically,,i think post 2006 or there abouts,,BUSBY,,,,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interesting. Just tried ours (2016 Hymer Exsis I 150 l Thetford fridge) and it doesn't work off 12v on AES or manual unless D+ is live. Must have different logic to the Dometic one I suspect.
Thetford have always been wired like that in Hymers, why they wire the Dometic ones differently is a mystery only Hymer can answer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think that a compressor fridge uses less 12V than a 3 way "normal" one, but others can say if that is correct or not.
I do think they are a bit more efficient, but more due to the fact they are only little fridges never seen a 150/160 Lt one for Motorhomes.

Is the Thetford one an AES fridge? I thought the standard one fitted wasn't. That may explain the difference
Haven't got a clue always had the Tec Tower option, I assumed it would be AES.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The 12v will take more power than your solar can provide but perhaps more importantly the cooling effect is limited on 12 volts.
It certainly used to be the case that 12v cooling in a three way fridge was pretty poor. But I think newer fridges have much better 12v performance. Mine cools pretty well on 12v - a 2hr journey is enough to take it from +15C down to below +5C.

I seem to remember reading that 12v & 230v performance was now pretty similar. I can't remember who it was that wrote that, but it was someone who would have known what they were talking about - @dave newell lvs possibly?

It is certainly true that a single solar panel won't provide enough power to run the 12v side of a three way fridge - not this far north of the equator anyway.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Is the Thetford one an AES fridge? I thought the standard one fitted wasn't. That may explain the difference

I don't know if the standard one for the Exsis (130litre) is, but our option one (150litre) is definitely AES.

As per @Lenny HB info, the Hymer manual does imply that the Thetford and Dometic fridges are different. I suspect the Hymer wiring is the same for both, but the Thetford internal logic only allows 12v operation with a D+ signal present in both Auto and Manual, where the Dometic doesn't care when in Manual mode.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back