Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
The sliding catch that locks the Dometic Fridge is sticking when I lock it for traveling and I have to keep flicking it back and forth to get the fridge open
Is it easy to replace the part ? Anyone done it ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
very simple to replace the damaged part, but as always they are not cheap for what the are

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks big1 but how do I get the part off and where do you get the spare part

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It 'pops off', but you must get the plastic catch into the middle position first. If you dont, the metal slide inside smashes the plastic lips.

I got a new one on ebay, about £7.00 I think

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it is one of the slider type of fridge catches, then this is a common problem but you might be able to fix it if nothing has actually broken. When we had a Chausson Flash 04 we used to have a problem with the fridge door lock in that and found if the fridge slider catch is (unnoticed) in the locked position when you close the door it pushes the metal hook into the door frame and the slider becomes detached so it may be a 'variation' on this that is causing the problem for you.

To see if there's anything you can sort before resorting to having to but a replacement (even if it can't be fixed, you'd still have to remove the part anyway!) carefully prise off the plastic slider cover on the top of the fridge door and beneath you will find a posihead screw. If you take this out you will be able to move the metal catch part back to the proper (start) position, then put the screw back and push the plastic cover back on with the groove over a corresponding tab on the metal hook part, obviously when you've got it all apart, you should then be able to lock/unlock the fridge door without difficulty.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
leisure shop direct just do a search for your model fridge or order from any dealer

as mentioned it normally just unclips or on a few models theres an obvious screw head

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for all the replies and advice I'll have a look at the weekend when I get back home

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Ours had exactly the same symptons you describe and when I unscrewed it I found a tiny bit of plastic about 2mm square had snapped off.
I just got out the superglue and touch wood it is still holding 6 months later

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Now back home and have taken off the slider as advised and found 2 lugs on the slider had broken, so super glued them back on and hopefully will hold for a while fingers crossed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back