Fridge problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Jan 1, 2014.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

The sliding catch that locks the Dometic Fridge is sticking when I lock it for traveling and I have to keep flicking it back and forth to get the fridge open
    Is it easy to replace the part ? Anyone done it ?

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

very simple to replace the damaged part, but as always they are not cheap for what the are

3. camocam1

Thanks big1 but how do I get the part off and where do you get the spare part

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

It 'pops off', but you must get the plastic catch into the middle position first. If you dont, the metal slide inside smashes the plastic lips.

I got a new one on ebay, about £7.00 I think

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. bryandh

bryandh Funster

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If it is one of the slider type of fridge catches, then this is a common problem but you might be able to fix it if nothing has actually broken. When we had a Chausson Flash 04 we used to have a problem with the fridge door lock in that and found if the fridge slider catch is (unnoticed) in the locked position when you close the door it pushes the metal hook into the door frame and the slider becomes detached so it may be a 'variation' on this that is causing the problem for you.

To see if there's anything you can sort before resorting to having to but a replacement (even if it can't be fixed, you'd still have to remove the part anyway!) carefully prise off the plastic slider cover on the top of the fridge door and beneath you will find a posihead screw. If you take this out you will be able to move the metal catch part back to the proper (start) position, then put the screw back and push the plastic cover back on with the groove over a corresponding tab on the metal hook part, obviously when you've got it all apart, you should then be able to lock/unlock the fridge door without difficulty.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

leisure shop direct just do a search for your model fridge or order from any dealer

as mentioned it normally just unclips or on a few models theres an obvious screw head

8. camocam1

Thanks for all the replies and advice I'll have a look at the weekend when I get back home

9. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

Ours had exactly the same symptons you describe and when I unscrewed it I found a tiny bit of plastic about 2mm square had snapped off.
    I just got out the superglue and touch wood it is still holding 6 months later

10. camocam1

Now back home and have taken off the slider as advised and found 2 lugs on the slider had broken, so super glued them back on and hopefully will hold for a while fingers crossed