Fridge problem solved...you'll never guess!

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Emmenay, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

Let me recap on previous events first,
    we left the uk four weeks ago for a road trip to Spain and soon discovered our Dometic 6401 fridge would not stay alight on gas. It would light on ignition but would go out as soon as the push valve was released.

We were able to locate a Dometic dealer thanks to MHFunsters, in Barcelona. After giving it a service they soon diagnosed a dodgy thermocoupling which they duly changed, only to find that was not the problem!

Next they diagnosed the selector switch, as they quite often fail. They changed that and informed me in their best English that the fridge is working but the problem may still lay with the gas valve/thermostat, but anyway I was happy it was working at all.

We arrived at our next stop, tried to put the fridge on and guess what, yep, nothing!

Long story short, I have today fitted a brand new gas valve/thermostat and hey presto...STILL NOTHING ARHHH:shout:

So, the power of logic tells me it HAS to be electrical.

After many days of huffing and puffing and dismantling/rebuilding, after 250 euros worth of parts I have found the problem, wait for it..

A dodgy wire! Yes, one dodgy wire between the selector switch and the gas valve.

I suppose the moral here is don't overlook the obvious :thumb: Oh well, at least I have got some spares now :Blush::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 11
  2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Well done ,at least you found the fault.lol.:Rofl1:

3. B-well

B-well Funster

well done, problem solved good nights sleep awaits now.

4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

You now have a good grounding on how it all goes together

5. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Fridge problem solved...you'll never guess

It makes you wonder whether the service guys were switched on so to speak.

6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Well done :thumb: nothing worse than warm beer. :Wink: :Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

I think you'd make a great business in chilled distribution:Wink:

Good job for finding it.

8. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

And the best part for me,

I didn't break anything! Considering how the fridge went in and out at least a dozen times,
    unlike when I tried to repair the oven safety switch, as I pulled the oven forward by the door handle, the door shattered :Blush: That wasn't cheap!

One more thing, if anybody is diagnosed with a faulty selector switch on the fridge, don't be fobbed off with a new one until the old one has been opened and inspected, they seem to be the most basic multi position switch I have seen and can easily be tinkered with. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

On a different but similar note..we stopped in Lyme Regis for the day before going to our campsite. I thought the fridge had ignited but when we returned I could hear the ignitor clicking and didn't think much more of it, just put it on 12 volt and drove on. Arrived at campsite........would not ignite, no clicking, nothing. The fabulous warden Barry, at Graston Copse amazingly rigged up some hook up for us. My hubby then spent best part of an hour taking the vent off, checking the thermostat, tapping the solenoid etc to no avail. I will mention at this point that we did not take the manual with us, yes, you can see where this is heading. So we ring our dealer and arrange to pop in today. On arriving back at home, my hubby gets out the manual and EUREKA.....there is a little fail safe cut out and all you have to do is press the hazard button and voila, problem sorted :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

That often well used quote, "When all else fails, read the instructions":Laughing:

• Like Like x 1