Fridge or Oven?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Personize, May 5, 2014.

1. Personize

Personize Read Only Funster

Hi Newbie here. Purchased our 1st Motorhome last year, 1992 Ducato Hymer Camp. We have only used it for 1 trip so far! 1st time out we had to turn home after the exhaust fell off! That’s now fixed & MOT’d just need a few small problems ironing out. We cannot totally understand the electrics but I’ll leave that for another day.
    I have just spent 3 weeks removing the old Electrolux fridge, not easy at all, hidden screws & sealer. I had to resort to breaking it up from the inside to remove!!! A replacement Electrolux RM5380 is going to cost £600 + fitting. The question is, do we go ahead & replace the fridge or buy a combicool fridge box . These are 3 way but need sitting outside when using gas. Then we could use the space to fit a oven & hob. Seems this idea is more to our liking but not sure how easy this will be. Your thoughts please.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

We don't have an oven and have never missed it; for others it seems to be a 'must have'. But we could not manage without a fridge. If you have any plans to take the motorhome abroad, particularly if you plan to use aires, I would have thought a fridge is more important than an oven.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Agreed. :thumb:

Fridge first. Oven isn't essential but, my opinion, a fridge most definitely is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dubiousp

Dubiousp Read Only Funster

Fridge is the 1st for me

5. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

fridge

6. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

fridge for ...beer
    oven for ...fb pie's

need both:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

definitely fridge first xxxx

8. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Fridge for me as well

9. Personize

10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

from what ive read on various forums the only coo lboxes worth having cost as much as a fridge twice the size, cheaper ones tend to be extremely power hungry especially on 12v and as you say cant be run on gas internaly
    oven is a must have for us but its a matter of choice depending how and where you intend using the van

11. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Definitely fridge and a Cadac for cooking outside :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  12. maz

maz Funster

Another vote for the fridge. :Smile:

13. Personize

Thanks for all your comments. You've all got me thinking now! I think 12months away without a cooker would be a problem. An oven would only fit in the space left by the fridge. The solution seems to be move the fridge location. Maybe in the Wardrobe?

14. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Fridge plus Remoska

• Like Like x 3
  15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

You say 'without a cooker' but surely you have a hob. An awful lot can be cooked on a hob.
    We also carry a small Cadac gas barbecue that plugs into an external LPG socket on the van and a Remoska. But in seven years, we have used the Remoska once - just shows how much can be done on a hob. Also, I suggest you search for 'double skillet' on Fun before making a decision.

As for moveing the fridge to a different location, I would be very wary of that since the venting is a critical matter and presently it is all in the right place. Also, the gas, 12V and 230V supplies will all have to be moved.

If, as I mentioned above, you plan to use aires (and that is one of the great advanteges of a motorhome) you would not want to leave a coolbox outside the van. In fact, you are not suposed to leave anything outside on an aire, but experience suggests there is a bit of leeway in this respect so long as everything is packed away at night.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if budget is a major consideration, I would be inclined to pick up a decent second hand fridge taken from a recent caravan. there are several caravan breakers around, and they are an excellent source of quality parts for older vans.

as for fitting, have a local mobile caravan engineer do the job for you. much cheaper than using a dealers workshop. I am not being rude, but the way you describe removing the old fridge shows you need a little professional help, especially with gas appliances for safety reasons:thumb:

as for ovens, we occasionally use ours, but its usually just used as another cupboard for pots and pans

• Like Like x 1
  17. Personize

This is still in the early stages of planning yet. 12months away the minimum. Europe does not necessarily mean warmth & Sunshine. Camp sites possible but not always. I am not saying we will endure freezing conditions, hopefully the planning will keep us mostly in the sunshine but living outside cooking on a BBQ will be infrequent. The whole idea of this little adventure is to see the real country not just chasing sunshine & Sand.

18. sedge

sedge Funster

Look if it's a straight choice between an oven and a fridge, fridge wins.

BUT ... we have one of those cabinets doings (think it's Waeco) and used to use it tent camping on sites. It will use a 6kg gas bottle up in about a fortnight using outside or in a gazebo - if it happens to be windy at all you'll need a refill before the end of your holiday. Camping Gaz is about the same consumption and you can get that easily in France at about €24 a go - about £80 for starters with the bottle if you haven't already got one.

Where will it be - outside - on an aire, ready for the world and his dog to help themselves to beer, or nick it - on a campsite ditto, on electric someone else can helpfully unplug it, if there are ants and there always are they'll get in, if they don't get right in they'll get in the seals ......

Quite a lot of larger bottles (pop) are too high to stand up in it if you want perishables in it .....

I love that box fridge - it's an absolute boon if you have nowt else. But when you have got a choice I know what I'd do.

What do they weigh? How does that compare with this

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/cara...s/spinflo-nelson-2-burner-hob-caravan-cooker/

They ARE good - we used to go camping en famille/friends - 10 of us ....... so I know them both well (the fridge and cooker) except our cooker is the older one that Flavel used to make. And no we're not selling LOL

• Like Like x 1
  19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

If we had to choose between oven and fridge it would definitely be the fridge. Even a basic one to chill milk, butter, perishable foods, beer etc is a must even in the winter months let alone the summer:thumb:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  20. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Fridge! And a halogen oven for everything else - have never used our gas oven and grill but it's a handy space to store onions and spuds etc!

• Like Like x 1