Fridge on Solar?

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Scottyboy, May 4, 2014.

1. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

I am about to pull the trigger on a solar panel kit from sunstore ( following from Trikemans glowing report in his install thread). Looking at the controllers most have an additional 12v output, presumably this only outputs while the panel is producing power? If this is the case would it be possible to use this to power the fridge during the day to save a bit of gas? and if so how would that be achieved, would it need to be through some sort of relay arrangement?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

definitely not.....

the connections you speak of are for a low power appliance and only work during periods when the panel isnt producing power.
    usual thing is a porch light after dark.

a couple of amps is generally the limit and your fridge may draw 10 amps or more.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Phill D

Phill D

i would say NO, your fridge will drag more power than your panel can generate. unless you have several hunderd watts and are on the equator at mid day clear blue sky.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Does your fridge have an S+ terminal as well as the normal D+ one ?

5. Terry

Terry Funster

No chance :Smile:will not produce nowhere near enough power --you can always keep the fridge door shut that will give you a few hours for nothing :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

I have just checked the manual and I don't think it does.

7. Techno

This is actually a future topic for myself.
    I have 375 ah of battery power that is exclusive to my inverter for 230 volt use and has no impact on my separate hab batteries. These batteries are supported by 300 watts of solar that I've witnessed hitting 19.4 amps.
    I replaced my fridge with a recent model that has S+ and I'm thinking of employing a CBE CSB2 relay that will connect across my solar batteries and the S+ signal instead of engine battery, this will switch my fridge to 12 volt supply once the batteries reach 13.6 volts and will continue to feed the fridge until the batteries drop to 12.5 volts.
    On days where I feel this is feasible (GOOD SKY) I will combine Hab & Solar battery banks with my battery selector switch which will then support the fridge more than adequately.

Edit
    If for example I decide to boil the kettle off inverter the voltage will drop below 12.5 under load and thus disconnect the fridge which will then revert to gas until my batteries reach 13.6 again and the CSB2 gives 12 volt signal to S+

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

That sounds awesome and well beyond my electrical knowledge and my system:Doh: Definitely still going for a solar kit though:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

far easier just having a compressor fridge .
    i use a household fridge , running through an inverter . have 6x80wt panels and 600amp of batteries never had ehu all winter while away . in summer power my house fridge and freezer off the inverter with an extention lead running into the house . keeps the leccy bills down .
    forget them 3 way fridges loads of junk.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

So you spend say £400 on battery's and another £400 on solar (prob nearer £1,000) to save £16/20 a yr on gas :Doh::BigGrin: Yeah Tecno it's OK for you because you have spent the money but the OP/SB is thinking about it running on prob one panel :BigGrin: Deffo a case of want rather than need :Wink::Smile:
    terry

• Like Like x 4
  11. Techno

Terry I'm not saying it is ok for the OP
    My batteries were £85 each and my solar pays for itself with kettle toaster hairdryer pressure washer and all manner of conveniences :Laughing:

EDIT I think I would save considerably more than £20 on gas

• Like Like x 1
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

terry you will have to come away one year and see how the other half live . we power 240v washing machines etc all by the sun . mind you cant do it in winter in uk .. ha ha .
    think i save alot more on gas than 20 quid . plus been doing it for about 12 yrs .

• Like Like x 2
  13. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

There was me thinking I would just run a couple of wires and hey presto the fridge is powered LOL. And yes its definitely want and not need:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Techno

Aye but it's spurred me on to employ what I had in mind. It will cost £21.99 for the relay and a length of wire from the garage to the fridge. Installing that wire is the tw@t :Laughing:

15. Techno

BTW Martin "funflair" is already doing this without the luxury of two battery banks like myself.
    He has a regulator with a fridge signal output

16. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin: YOU both make me wonder just how I managed all these yrs without a power washer and a washing machine ---or for that matter solar :BigGrin:We only ever went for 3 to 4 weeks away at a time and had/have enough storage for that amount of clothes not to need the machine and I cannot imagine needing a power wash for anything while away :Wink::BigGrin:--Tesco/asda jeans are £5 a pair and socks are about a quid a pair same as skid pants -You can afford to throw them away when they need washing :BigGrin:Only thing I would not throw are my TEE shirts they cost 30/40 quid each :Eeek::Wink:Then again you can buy tee shirts for a couple of quid so again throw them away :BigGrin:
    Reminds me of Ann when she used to say your working in your new jeans,why don't you put your old ones on? simple answer was my old ones are Levis at 40 quid a pair and the new ones are £3 quiders from Tesco --they have gone upto a fiver now because some do gooders ran a fair wage campaign a couple of yrs ago
    terry

• Like Like x 5
  17. Techno

It's simply all part of the fun FUN
    I simply revel in pushing the envelope :Rofl1:

However the first upgrade needs to be beyond 3500kg

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  18. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Depends if you are buying a fridge at the same time. To replace mine (the original large US fridge has been replaced by a diddy European one) would be very expensive. Even a caravan specific 12V low energy compressor fridge is around 50-70% the cost of an absorbtion fridge, which pays for a lot of solar panels, easily enough to run the thing throughout March to October whatever the weather. And that's not counting the cost of installation, which is much lower (or even DIY) because no gas is involved.

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

come on i have been away for the last 5and a half months .
    some of my panels were old when i bought them years ago.
    just before we lefty my mate bought some 100wt panels new off ebay 80quid delivered . gotta be cheap .
    like i say mine power things 24/7 365 days a year.
    i dont have holidays i go away to live . hee hee.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

When the fridge went down in my previous van, an FFB Tabbert I replaced it with an AES fridge. As I had 225 watts of solar and 330 amps of batteries there was a wire that when the fridge was fitted allowed the fridge to automatically switch from gas to 12 volt once the batteries were fully charged. This only ever worked in Morocco. So the answer to the OP is yes it is feasible, but not the way you want to do it. The connections you mention I have always wired to a cigarette lighter socket and charged mobile phones etc from.